mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Paradox issues running 9 speed

I am building up a 2010 paradox and all the gears shift great but when I go to the 11t cog on the rear the chain locks against the frame and derailler hanger. Rear hub is X9, cassette is shimano 34-11 and the chain is sram 951.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudderhucker View Post
    I am building up a 2010 paradox and all the gears shift great but when I go to the 11t cog on the rear the chain locks against the frame and derailler hanger. Rear hub is X9, cassette is shimano 34-11 and the chain is sram 951.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I had the same issue, I just adjusted my rear mech to not drop to the smallest cog. It's a 2x8 now instead of a 2x9, the Paradox is so badass otherwise that I really don't care.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, I did the same thing, was just wondering if there was a trick to making it work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudderhucker View Post
    Thanks, I did the same thing, was just wondering if there was a trick to making it work.
    My cassette is also Shimano, although I'm running the HG-61 12-36. Maybe a different brand would clear better? Maybe you and I have the only 2 Paradox frames in the world that tweaked just wrong in the weld process. Regardless, the Paradox is a blast to ride, especially downhill, great bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am sure it will be a blast and not getting to last gear is not a big deal for me. I to am running a hg-61 but the 34-11. I bought the frame used and I noticed marks on the frame so the previous owner had the same issue. A first I thought it might of been an issue with my hub. I will run it how it is an enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ran 2x9 and 1x9 on my V.1, Sram PG970 11-34 and 11-32, PC970 chain, no issues, there is atleast 2-4mm +/- clearence between frame/11cog + chain.
    Same setup on the V.2 also and its flawless, a mate just build his V.2 with X.0 2x10 and its fine too.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Have you guys tried swapping wheels (using the same casette) to rule out the hub as the issue?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am going to try my 26" wheel when I get a chance. I hope it is not the hub because it is a brand new wheelset. I also have an old sram 950 cassette I could try

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    funnily enough, a friend of mine ran gears on his Amp and had the same problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just put the rear wheel off my DH bike on the paradox and no issues getting into the 9th gear. I is the hub spacing of the X9 hub that is causing my issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Have you guys tried swapping wheels (using the same casette) to rule out the hub as the issue?
    Never bothered trying, it just doesn't matter to me. It's rare that I get that tall into the gearing anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    All fixed, took it to the shop and they moved a washer from the disc side to the drive side and it gave enough clearance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have the same problem with my Paradox V1 with X9 rearhub. I was thinking of grinding some metal of the frame to make it work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens_bm View Post
    I have the same problem with my Paradox V1 with X9 rearhub. I was thinking of grinding some metal of the frame to make it work.
    You don't need to grind the frame, there are 2 spacers on the disc side, move them to the drive side and it will clear. You may need to dish the wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thank You

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm having the same issues and don't think I can respace my hub... Anyone tried a 10 speed chain - would it be narrow enough to clear?

mtbr member
    I've never had such issues running 9 speed with shimano rear cogs. Now I am running 2x10, which is the best formula IMO for 29er bikes as the difference between cogs is less noticeable and you have full options to find your style. Personally using 32.24 standard SLX Dynasys crankset with XT 11-32 cassete, along with SRAM X0 rear der and shifters it just goes perfectly
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned