Thread: Paradox Issue

PVGNA PRO PATRIA

Paradox Issue

I can buy a brand new 2012 Paradox frame on the cheep, BUT the facing on the tapered HT is off enough to bind the headset. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I pass on the deal assuming there may be other alignment issues? The seller cannot have it warrantied either...

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I woudn't buy a frameset with known issues that may or may not be fixable. At a minimum it needs to be fixed before its rideable.

FM
    luxatio erecta

Proceed, with caution

Facing and reaming a head tube is no big deal. In fact it really should be done to every frame, just in case.

I recently pretty much destroyed a brand new king headset, by pressing it into a frame which hadn't been reamed and was .6mm undersized. Funny since the frame had been previously built up OE, with no issues. Another thing I learned was that cheap headsets are often more tolerant to the frame being out of spec... which is probably why the previous owner never had any issues with the OE cane creek. The king was a tighter fit and had deeper skirts with no bevel.

It can be difficult to find the correct diameter reamers for all the new standards these days. But if all it needs is facing, any good LBS should be able to do that for $20 or so.

I would have the seller take the frame to a shop for facing & 2nd opinion. It could be an easy fix.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    I decided to return the frame. There is not a single phockn LBS in a 275 mile radius that has the capability to face and/or ream a 44mm or 49mm HT.
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 01-19-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: increased radius

Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I recently pretty much destroyed a brand new king headset, by pressing it into a frame which hadn't been reamed and was .6mm undersized.
    I can't believe that you even got it to start, .6mm is substantial.