mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Out with old ('08 Wildcard) and in with new (Rune V2)???

sorry for the book in advance

i purchased my wildcard 6 years ago and for 6 years i have loved that frame/bike. and i still do. what initially drew me to the frame is my local trails had a lot of jumps/features as did my local DH mtn, diablo/mt creek. so the (by now standards) steep-er-ish headtube angle (67.5) and shorter CS were a great fit. the bike was always setup 165mm rear, 170mm front.

ive now lived in los angeles for 3 years and i while i really do love it here, the riding is vastly different. the wildcard is now exclusively a shuttle bike since moving as the non-shuttle trails by me are far too tame and i prefer to take out my hardtail single speed. i still prefer a single crown/smaller bike for DH trails out here as a full DC rig is not needed and i prefer a smaller bike.

current 160mm travel range frames are set up with longer stays and headtube angles in the 66 range - like the rune v2 which i have been in love with since i saw the first neon yellow prototype photos

what im debating now is whether to put some money into the wildcard frame with a canecreek angleset and slacken it out by 1.5degrees (yes i have read pages and pages on the angleset and i still would run it) and an upgrade to a CCDBair OR just pony up and get a rune v2. the only time i have pedaled any distance aka trail-ridden the bike is when i rode whole enchilada and slickrock in UT. other than that i really dont do any amount of real pedaling or uphills on the wildcard in socal/LA/SB.

assuming my riding habits stay the same, does the rune v2 really excel enough more on the decent to justify spending the extra $$$? if i was actually trail riding my full suspension and pedaling uphill/distance regularly, i wouldnt ever doubt the upgrade but like i said - the trails here are just far too boring to warrant a full suspension unless its a real shuttle access DH trail.

anyone go from a wildcard to a rune v2?

mtbr member
    Hey dude - I went from a Wildcard to a Rune. I loved my WC. It was an amazing jumper and I really enjoyed riding it off of some things. But i decided to build up a Rune to replace the Wildcard right when i saw the drawings for the V2. The Rune excels at everything but climbing which it is pretty good at but it's not a 27lbs carbon bike with a 69HTa so it's expected. I actually keep mine in the slack mode most of the time as I found going up a hill is a bit more work but not much and the descending is ridiculous

Overall the bike is everything you'll want it to be. I also have a Legend which i love but have taken the Rune to some of the DH trails i would ride the Legend and now prefer the little bike on those specific trails.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Huh, thatīs a tough Decision ...

I have spend 5 very happy Years on my trusty Wildcard. The last 3 Seasons I put in a Evolver ISX-4, a -1,5 Deg Works-Components Angleset and kept it in the 5"/127 mm Travel, with a 160 mm Lyrik Coil U-Turn from the Start. I rode really everything with it, from Bikepark-Days to All-Day-Epics. Now my Riding turns towards Trail/AM most of the Time, and after all I hardly decide to give the Spitfire a go and this one fills simply better into the Purpose now.
    Well - I still love the Wildcard - it was my Mind-Opener and forced me into a Shorttravel-Fanboy, meaning a durable Frame, not too much Travel but the perfect Geometry can do everything Iīm able to ride. Now itīs the Spitfire, but I still own the Wildcard Frame and Fork and canīt get over to sell it ...

If your Riding doesnīt require a lot of Pedaling or going Uphill, than pimpin the Wildcard is a really good Thing. Air-Shock and Fork, lighter Wheels etc. and, of course, an Angleset would compliment the Wildcard very well - and saves Money. Mine had an HA of 65,5 Deg and was ready to tackle everything I was able to.

Another Bike to consider for you is the Spitfire?!? To me, with itīs long, low and slack Forward-Style-Geometry itīs my trailworthy Alternative to the Wildcard, were the Rune possibly can be too much. The KS-Link is very different to the TNT-Fauxbar and even the 140 mm Travel only does the same good Job in the rough Terrain as the 165 mm Travel did on the Wildcard. Plus most of your current Parts could possibly move over, to save some Money, except the Fork has to be at 160 mm.

My Wildcard:

My Spitfire:

mtbr member

1.5 degree angletet on Wildcard

Quote Originally Posted by greenblinker104 View Post
    what im debating now is whether to put some money into the wildcard frame with a canecreek angleset and slacken it out by 1.5degrees (yes i have read pages and pages on the angleset and i still would run it) .
    I run a 1.5 degree angleset on my Wildcard with no problem
    My WC is 5 year young , and still running strong
    the Rune is a nice looking, more modern bike but the fun factor of the Wildcard is priceless.
    It is hard to compete with perfection

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amrayo View Post
    I run a 1.5 degree angleset on my Wildcard with no problem
    My WC is 5 year young , and still running strong
    the run is a nice looking, more modern bike but the fun factor of the Wildcard is priceless.
    It is hard to compete with perfection
    I don't know dude, I loved the wildcard too but the V2 Rune as a whole is a much better bike. The Rune is so fast on descents and feels so planted in the rough, better than some DH bikes I've tried. It also is an exceptional jumper. Again the WC is great but once you get on a V2 Rune you wonder why you didn't earlier. No BS here. I rode my WC for a long time and rode it at places like Blackrock, Whistler, Post Canyon etc.

With the exception of Whistler i've ridden my Rune everywhere i've been on my Wildcard and it's been better in every way.

Here is a pick of me hitting the barn door on my WC. I just did it again a few weeks ago but this time on my Rune. With the Rune I got a bit zesty and nearly landed flat. The bike took it all real well.

Here i am riding the Rune at BR. It was the sickest bike ever there because i could get more laps in then i ever could on my Wildcard by pedaling up the hill w/o exhausting myself.

Take my word for it, you won't be sorry if you decide to get one of these bikes. I was bummed when I got rid of my WC but i haven't looked back since i got my Rune built up. It's low, slack and light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    damn! a WC in 130x130 travel mode with a slack HA - that seems like a damn fun bike! still would be heavy and sluggish up hill but man! interesting feedback and on the new spitfire too - that bike is just seems like a trail killer. i like the longer front end with my 170mm fork though. i have no real reason to get rid of my 2010? lyrik rc2 dh - its just a solid fork. not the lightest by todays standards but again, i cant justify getting rid of it to save a few grams. my previous fork was a 2006 marz 66 - the upgrade from 66 to lyrik though was huge. i saved well over 1lb.

some great feedback coming through. thanks for the replies. its great to see some ppl have put anglesets on there WCs. ive actually been doing (and have lots more to do) reading on running a 27.5 front wheel and 26 rear. im reallllly curious to see how much i could slack out my WC with the bigger front and i have read that my lyrik crown will clear the bigger wheel...its just i have no idea where to freaking find a 27.5 with a 20mm front hub to throw on my bike as all these new forks are 15mm. some riders are reporting that the along with the slacker HA, the bigger wheel is really helping them roll down the rough...could be something really fun to play with

mtbr member

some great feedback coming through. thanks for the replies. its great to see some ppl have put anglesets on there WCs. ive actually been doing (and have lots more to do) reading on running a 27.5 front wheel and 26 rear. im reallllly curious to see how much i could slack out my WC with the bigger front and i have read that my lyrik crown will clear the bigger wheel...its just i have no idea where to freaking find a 27.5 with a 20mm front hub to throw on my bike as all these new forks are 15mm. some riders are reporting that the along with the slacker HA, the bigger wheel is really helping them roll down the rough...could be something really fun to play with
    Remember a taller fork and bigger wheel will also change other angles like the BB height. If you want to make the we slacker get the angleset or some k9 cups.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    damn! a WC in 130x130 travel mode with a slack HA - that seems like a damn fun bike! still would be heavy and sluggish up hill but man! interesting feedback and on the new spitfire too - that bike is just seems like a trail killer. i like the longer front end with my 170mm fork though. i have no real reason to get rid of my 2010? lyrik rc2 dh - its just a solid fork. not the lightest by todays standards but again, i cant justify getting rid of it to save a few grams. my previous fork was a 2006 marz 66 - the upgrade from 66 to lyrik though was huge. i saved well over 1lb.

Same as Ryan: A taller Fork or bigger Wheel would make for a slacker Headangle, but it would also affect BB-Height (higher) and Seatangle (slacker). Not sure if you want that ...

Works-Components and K9-Industries do offer fixed Anglesets from +/-1 to +/-2 Deg. CaneCreek offer +/-1 Deg fixed or as a Set. I had a Works-Components (- 1.5) and this one run flawlessly. The CaneCreek I have now too, if you put some Effort on regular Mainainance.

Another Thing to experiment with: Have you ever run the Wildcard in the 5" Mode? A good Buddy and myself found the Bike most balanced with -1.5 or -2 Deg Angleset, short Travel back and 160 mm Fork. As far as I know the Lyrik can be internally lowered and while it is still a great Fork thereīs no Need for another one. Maybe this Setup bring new Life to your Wildcard and match more the Trails you are riding now.

Some more Thoughts on the Rune/Spitfire:
    If possible get a Demoride on both. Those are very different from the Wildcard in every Aspect and itīs something that you should experience, just to make a more clear Decision. The Geometry of both sets you on a very different Position on and over the Bike. Much more centered than on the Wildcard. Thatīs the Secret for the still playfull Handling, but very different "Feel". The Suspension performs very different too, because it feels very lively and plush at the same Time. Much more supple on small and midsize Obstacles than the Wildcard, although with a nicely dialled progressive Leverage, but lesser than the Wildcard.
    My personal Favorite is the Spitfire, because itīs plush but poppy enough for my Trails, where a Rune can eventually be too much ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    good points on the 27.5. i def forgot/overlooked about the higher BB. and in its current form, my WC already has a pretty high BB.

it seems like the works headset requires a lot less maintenance since there are no gimbals and i dont actually need the adjustability/angle choices of the cane creek angleset so if i went slacker, itd be through a works

and i definitely am in need of a ride on a rune v2 and/or spitfire. if the wow is there, i know i wouldnt be able to stop myself