Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Newly revised dropouts or hanger for V2 frame (142x12)?

I heard on here that the new dropouts (slotted) are going to ready come August. When I inquired about this earlier with Banshee due to dumping my chain periodically during Enduro racing off the smallest cog from the increased spacing between dropout and end or cassette, I was told that this is not a dropout issue, but rather a hanger issue. I received a newly designed hanger, installed and my pre-existing hanger bolt didn't fit in correctly (they just sent me the hanger with no bolt) and my rear der. was aligned much more inboard, thus totally altering my shifting, so I went back to the older style, original hanger. Is the new hanger a temporary fix for extra spacing until the new dropouts are available or do I need to just use the new hanger and re-adjust my rear derailleur to compensate and correct the spacing issue?
    Thx.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    just get your shifting dialed and you won't have a problem.
    either on the old hanger or the new one...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmX View Post
    just get your shifting dialed and you won't have a problem.
    either on the old hanger or the new one...
    Shifting was and is dialed as confirmed by Shimano crew at last race and is not the issue, but rather the extra spacing between the smallest cog and dropout when bike is pushed hard while racing in rough terrain at times (chain will come off smallest cog and lodge between the cassette and dropout despite optimal high/low derailluer adjustment). This was confirmed by Banshee rider, Lear Miller at last enduro race I did as he was having the same issue and local Banshee rep was there as well and told me the same thing and that Banshee is making new dropouts to correct the extra spacing that will be available sometime this summer. When I contacted Banshee, I received a newly designed hanger and said the problem I was having was not a dropout issue but rather they had to redesign the hanger to minimize the spacing issue. I heard of new slotted dropouts (142x12) are coming available and sounds like this is what I need instead. I would rather go with those if that is the case, since my shifting is much better with original hanger vs the new designed one.

Newly revised dropouts or hanger for V2 frame (142x12)?-img_1395.jpg
    Last edited by jgusta; 07-12-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Could you snap a pic or 2 of this redesigned hanger? 1st I've heard about it but apparently it's for owners (like you) who have the existing 12x142 drops. I would have assumed that with a little RD adjustment it should have shifted fine but not so? Can you figure out why?

Well, join the list of those waiting for the re-designed dropouts due in August....hopefully!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Could you snap a pic or 2 of this redesigned hanger? 1st I've heard about it but apparently it's for owners (like you) who have the existing 12x142 drops. I would have assumed that with a little RD adjustment it should have shifted fine but not so? Can you figure out why?

Well, join the list of those waiting for the re-designed dropouts due in August....hopefully!
    Added pic of new hanger to post above. Probably will work properly with some RD adjustment as you stated. I just didn't want to tinker since it threw my gearing off so much by moving the RD inboard quite significantly, so I just went back to the original hanger due to going on a ride trip.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The new hanger has addressed the offset issue, but will require the rear derailleur to be re-adjusted if coming off the old hanger. The dearailleur alignment is purely down to the hanger, not the dropouts.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    The new hanger has addressed the offset issue, but will require the rear derailleur to be re-adjusted if coming off the old hanger. The dearailleur alignment is purely down to the hanger, not the dropouts.
    Would like to get one of these new hangers for my 26" drops (will be ordering the re-designed 650B drops). Are you guys just sending em out as requested by current owners or what's the deal to get one ASAP?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you feel you need a different hanger (vast majority of derailleurs will not require it) then you shoudl contact your regional distributor asking for one.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Keith. If this corrects the derailleur alignment issue, what are the new dropouts for, better axle compatibility and wheel placement?
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Keith. If this corrects the derailleur alignment issue, what are the new dropouts for, better axle compatibility and wheel placement?
    I had lots of requests for added recess to enable wheel to sit in location without the axle in place. So actually it's only the non driveside dropout that is changing, driveside dropout remains the same while the hanger changes.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    New hanger is installed and shifting well and can now see how it corrects the offset issue (extra spacing between smallest cog and dropout). Stoked to have it on as I had three dropped chains into that space last weekend with lots of rowdy DH/trail descending (19k' in 2 days). Can't wait to put it through it's paces and not have anymore drop chains there anymore!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    New hanger is installed and shifting well and can now see how it corrects the offset issue (extra spacing between smallest cog and dropout). Stoked to have it on as I had three dropped chains into that space last weekend with lots of rowdy DH/trail descending (19k' in 2 days). Can't wait to put it through it's paces and not have anymore drop chains there anymore!
    I should hope it shifts well as it's the new permanent drive side solution for the 142x12 drop

Have one ordered from Trident.

mtbr member
    jGusta, im having the same exact problem. Im on a spitfire v2 with 142 mm dropouts. Im running a 1x10 with 10 spd shimano zee (11-36) rear derraileur, 11-36 cassette, 34 chain ring, and an E-13 chain guide with no lower pulley.

I have tried completely locking out my 11 tooth cog, and the damn chain still falls into the space between teh cassette and frame.

This is really annoying because in the past 2 enduro races (cascadia cup 1, and oregon enduro series 4) this has happend in 5 of 8 stages.

i dont see how a new hanger is going to fix this problem. Could it be a shimano problem?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I run exactly the Same Components (Zee, 11-36 cassette) but WITH the lower pulley... no problems at all.
    is your chain installed in the right direction (it does matter with shimano 10speed chains)?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I also am running the zee/11-36 combo on the prime with original 142 drop-outs, but a 9spd chain. I've run it both with & without a lower chainguide. I have had the chain wedge 1-2x over ~8 weeks of frequent riding, and only when doing weird stuff like back-pedaling while cleaning my chain.

MalcomX makes a great point, the text on the side of shimano 10spd chains should be facing out. I could also see where poor chainline (running more than 2mm spacing, which is required by many chainguides) or extra chainlength could add to the mix. I just put a 10spd chain on, hopefully I won't start having issues now!

There's also a million ghetto fixes that would probably work fine temporarily, like putting a fat 0-ring around the axle between the small cog and drop-out.

mtbr member
    chain line is good. And i dont have a problem until i go really fast and corner through chundery stuff, in these cases i am probably back pedaling a quarter crank turn as i corner and then getting on the gas. If im not riding fast techy stuff or cornering through braking bumps then i have no problems.

I made a makeshift o-ring with some pvc piping...we'll see how that works.

I spoke with Max, one of the NW banshee dealers, he is sending me a new hanger. Banshee guys are awesome! Super responsive and helpful!

mtbr member

New V2 hanger

Get the hanger if this is happening to you this frequently like me (cost me 1st place at HR Enduro a couple of months back) and I wedged the chain into space twice on Sat with some high speed rowdy/rooty riding as well. The hanger corrects this offset issue by filling in part of the extra spacing by bringing the hanger more inboard with new design and extra material. I will snap a pic to you tonight to give visual.

I didn't see how a hanger could correct this myself, but appears to visually take up a lot of the space when properly installed on bike. Will test with first ride tonight on it. I would go ahead and order one or contact hello@bansheebikes.com to see if Trident can send you one since you are having this problem about as frequent as I did with proper RD set-up (not the issue) but rather the extra space between cog and dropout. Like I said in early post, I had the Shimano crew make sure everything was dialed and this still can happen if pushing the bike fast enough over really choppy terrain (even with clutch RD). A lower pulley may help to alleviate this some, but if you are having this issue often enough to annoy you, just get the new hanger.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I also am running the zee/11-36 combo on the prime with original 142 drop-outs, but a 9spd chain. I've run it both with & without a lower chainguide. I have had the chain wedge 1-2x over ~8 weeks of frequent riding, and only when doing weird stuff like back-pedaling while cleaning my chain.

MalcomX makes a great point, the text on the side of shimano 10spd chains should be facing out. I could also see where poor chainline (running more than 2mm spacing, which is required by many chainguides) or extra chainlength could add to the mix. I just put a 10spd chain on, hopefully I won't start having issues now!

There's also a million ghetto fixes that would probably work fine temporarily, like putting a fat 0-ring around the axle between the small cog and drop-out.
    FWIW FM, I am running 10spd chain with minimal length, switch RD and no guide with double rings/FD/bash. While enduro racing or regular riding, I never lose chain off of rings (have FD hugging the bash and use thicker rings), just this chain wedge off the back end which the new hanger corrects if you are having this issue regular enough.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What are peoples thoughts about how Banshee should deal with the hanger issue? Not wanting to really bit*ch but should it be a free replacement to owners with the existing 142x12 drop, a discount perhaps, or should we just be paying the full price. While the original setup works it's not optimal (or right IMO) and the 135x10 and 150x12 don't have the offset issue.

I paid Trident $25 for the hanger and $1.73 shipping (first they wanted to charge me $15 for shipping and I complained that was ludicrous for a part that weighs next to nothing) but it still leaves me a bit peeved I had to do this.

Thoughts?

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hmmm ... hard to tell ...
    As a Customer you canīt expect it, but it would be a really very cool Thing if Banshee could develop a Kind of Discount-Replacement-Programm, like they did for V1-Frame-Owners last Year. Meaning sending back the old Hangers and Dropouts so they could be recycled (keeping Cost lower for Material), and getting new Ones for a reasonable Prize.
    Iīm willing to pay for both Hanger and Dropouts, no Question. But for those who have both Dropouts for 26/650B the old Ones will become unsaleable as soon as the revised Ones become available ...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Instead of blabling around about 25$, you guys should get out and ride... enjoy the weather...

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Instead of blabling around about 25$ ...
    Sorry Mate, but for some itīs a bit more than that.
    In my Case it would be two complete new Sets of 142/12 Dropouts (26/650B), while Iīve spend some extra Cash already for the additional 650B old Dropouts ... and I'm certainly not nitpicking at all ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Banshee are supplying distributors with free hangers to look after any customers who are using derailleurs that have compatibility issues with original hangers.

You must explain to distributor that you are having this issue, otherwise they will just assume you want to buy a spare hanger. They will then probably ask you to send them a photo showing derailleur make and alignment as well as asking for your frame number (found under the BB). If the claim is accepted then there should be no charge for the hanger (although shipping may apply).

But I must emphasise that if you want a free hanger under warranty that you must make this clear to distributor in the first place. Replacement hangers will also depend on avaliability.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2009
    For most of us, they are working just fine... only SOME have problems when they don't use a lower pulley, thunder through the chunk and maybe pedal reverse...
    So I think talking about an issue is a bit over the top really...
    AND Banshee is beeing very helpfull again, as you can see...

Besides that, I really think the slotted Dropouts are a good idea, but I did not miss them so far in 8 months of using my Rune V2...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    For most of us, they are working just fine...
    Agreed. Non-issue for me.
    It's awesome that Banshee is taking care of people that do have an issue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast