mtbr member
    Aug 2010

New guy here. Morphine or Scirocco

Hey guys, im completely new to mountain biking, im currently riding an old 93 Giant Acapulco. It has no suspension, and the top tube is straight across. Im looking to upgrade to a more modern hardtail. I discovered the awesomeness that small companies like banshee come up with.

Little info about me, im a bit over 6' and weigh 280. I tend to be very rough on things, and often break stuff, not intentionally. Im not a skilled rider by any means, but just the thought of my weight and doing anything mean to my bike, riding down long stone staircases, about 1 foot drops (about the best my skill allows at the moment) and such scares me. honestly i think my current bike might break I have some questions about these bikes because i cant afford to make more than one purchase, so it has to be a really smart that gets me a bike that will hold anything i throw at it for years to come.

I was looking for hardtails that are super-strong. So far ive come up with the Lumberjack Rented-Mule, which is way out of my price range. and the Banshee Morphine.

So here are my main questions. Is the banshee morphine still considered to be a super strong frame by todays standards? Is it compatible with most modern hardtail components? i remember people saying that headtube sizes changed around 2000-2002 or something.

Secondly the Banshee Scirocco. Is this frame strong? how does it compare to the morphine in terms of strength?

How much abuse do you think these 2 frames could take from a guy of my size?

Lastly, i found a good website that still has old morphine frames in stock, but is there anywhere that sells Scirocco frames? i cant find any websites that have the Scirocco.

local trails rider
    The Scirocco would be great for what you describe, but you already noticed that availability is not too good as it is discontinued.

The Morphine is overkill for everything, even if the rider is a bit heavy. Certainly strong but also heavy. I recall Banshee's current designer, Keith (goes by "builttoride" here), considers the Morphine a dinosaur, and does not plan to design a follow up model. I don't think there would be any compatibility issues.

The closest current Banshee frame is the Paradox but it uses 29" wheels. Don't know if you'd consider that. No particular reason not to, I guess. Most seem to love their Paradoxes.

If you search the All Mountain forum for "hardtail", you'll find a lot more possibilities if the Paradox does not appeal to you.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Goes to 11

The Scirocco should be great for you

I think an L size will fit nicely,
    here's a link from someone that still sells those
    http://shop.harim.co.il/product_info...oducts_id=1448
    The Owner is cool, tell him 'Ilan' sent you

btw, I think you are also safe to buy these as 2nd hand, that frame is really though!
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

local trails rider
    I agree that L should be the right size.

The price looks a little high but it is with a 16% Israeli tax which will be deducted. But what will the shipping cost be, and any taxes you may have to pay at home?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

MTB B'dos
    You're definitely a big guy, but I wouldn't say you're above what the Paradox was designed for and the bigger wheels roll over stuff even better. I just got one and I thought I'd keep my FS built up as an "in case" but I have stripped a lot of better parts off it for the Paradox. Heck I never even really rode a HT since I started MTBing, started off witha crappy FS and moved on to better FSs, so I think this says a lot for the ride of the Paradox.

Build the wheels with some 36 hole hubs on some stout rims in the 28-35mm width range and throw on some good meat like the Panaracer Rampage or Bontrager 29-4s, use a nice stiff 20mm through axle fork like the Minute and you'd be good to go.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. im still doing research and having trouble deciding. i was hoping you could answer a few more questions for me.

I noticed the morphine frame is 6.4lbs and the Scirocco frame is 4.3 pounds. How noticeable would these 2.1 pounds be on a trail ride, or on a slight uphill?

Can you put the seat all the way up on both bikes for comfortable crusing on easy trails?

Lastly, i love the look of banshee bikes, so i was started looking at the Viento as well. Do you think this bike would hold me?
    Last edited by Samuel55; 09-01-2010 at 09:00 PM.

local trails rider
    2.1 pounds would be noticeable: a little harder to climb, a little more work to accelerate and manoeuver.

Seat height depends on your dimensions: mainly "biking inseam", but I am sure a 19" or 18" seat tube would be enough for you at 6'.

Banshees in general are strong but I don't really know how strong the Viento is. Otherwise it should work well for the kind of riding you described.

"builttoride" may have an educated opinion on Viento strength under a heavier guy but he is probably busy with bike shows and other stuff right now: might take a while to get an answer?

You could try the Clydesdales forum: do a search for Viento there or just ask if anybody has comments on it there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi Samuel, have you considered any frames made of 4130 steel? I know there are loads out there so I am just recommending brands I have ridden and have been very satisfied with. Like yourself, I tend to be pretty hard on equipment and long term durability is an important factor. Anyway, take a look at these and see if they strike a chord with you:

http://www.chromagbikes.com/frames/stylus

http://www.evil-bikes.com/#/undefine...022/Sovereigns

Good luck!

local trails rider
    Guess what...
    I have a Scirocco AND a Stylus.

The Stylus, being steel, is heavier but they are both great frames. You don't have to run a huge fork in either, if you don't want to. I think the Sovereign is similar in that too.

MTB B'dos
    If you're going to stick to a HT, I cannot see why you would opt for the Viento over the Paradox, except maybe the ability to use back your 26" stuff from your previous bike if it's still any good. 29ers just roll over stuff so much easier and for a HT I think that's a huge plus. Weight difference between the 2 according to Banshee is a mere 55g. Pert was right, go visit the Clydes forum for more/better help from people of similar size, loads of good info in there.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi Samuel, have you considered any frames made of 4130 steel? I know there are loads out there so I am just recommending brands I have ridden and have been very satisfied with. Like yourself, I tend to be pretty hard on equipment and long term durability is an important factor. Anyway, take a look at these and see if they strike a chord with you:

http://www.chromagbikes.com/frames/stylus

http://www.evil-bikes.com/#/undefine...022/Sovereigns

Good luck!