mtbr member

New Banshee Prime Order

JensonUSA had a new raw Medium Prime frame listed tentatively for delivery August 24 (assuming no production delays; now after I ordered mine, that item says availability of Sept 26), so I went ahead and pulled the trigger and placed an order...

Jenson told me they don't know what the part numbers will be for the rear dropouts, I would like to get 142 x 12 dropouts, if they will be available.

What dropouts will be available and how much will they cost?

It looks like I will be getting a Fox Float CTD with Trail Adjust with my frame...Is this the shock being sold with new Primes, or is the shock something the retailer adds themselves?

I've been unimpressed with Fox RP23's since I weigh around 250 lbs...not sure I want to waste time with the Fox Float CTD (maybe it will ride better on a Prime than the RP23 did on my RIP, since I assume the leverage ratio is different)...

I'm thinking about getting a black WB Loop 29 140 mm...or I might just put my WB Fluid-29 150 mm on it.

Note: the picture on Jensons' site shows a different shock...I verified with them that the picture does not currently show the shock that the frame will come with.
    Last edited by jbsocal; 06-30-2012 at 04:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    there will be 3 dropout options:

135x10 vertical dropout
    142x12mm maxle standard bolt through
    150x12mm maxle standard bolt through

The structure for dropouts hasn't quite been confirmed with distributors yet, so I can't comment on that right now.

The shock is custome tuned for the primes. We have been working with Fox to dial the tune in for the last 6 months or so. However when doing shock tune we can only pick the best tune to cover a range of rider weights and agressiveness on the trail. For someone who is heavier than average and rides hard, they may benefit from tweaking the suspension, but you will hopefully find the tune works well for you once you have dialed in sag and picked the settings that suit you best.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I'd like to order the 142 x12 and 150 x 12 dropouts when they become available, do you know yet how much they will cost and when they will be available to order?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The distributor sets final pricing within their territory, so I can't comment on that I'm afraid. The frame comes with one dropout standard of your choice, but all 3 will be avaliable as aftermarket.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Will the dropouts be available when the first frames start shipping?

I just ordered a Sun Ringle 135 x 12 rear axle adapter - I'm hoping it will be sturdier than that scrawny standard skewer that came with my Charger Pro's and allow me to use my 135 x 12 end caps with the standard drop outs...until I can order the other two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Dropouts should all be avaliable when frame first start shipping.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

MTB B'dos
    NM, I stand corrected, did not know that product was available.
    Last edited by LyNx; 08-02-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I would give the rp23 a try. The prime has a fairly low leverage ratio, which generally means lower spring rate / PSI in the rear shock. Assuming it comes stock with the large can, you could also shim the can or go to a smaller can to reduce air volume/PSI- although this could make things too progressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    No, this will not work as standard dropouts are only 10mm, not 12mm and as far as Keith listed there is no 135mm x 12mm option. Unless of course you're capable and willing to machine/drill then dropouts to 12mm.
    unless of course he's talking this sun/ringle axle

135×12 Rear Conversion Axle | SUNRinglé

which is designed to work with standard drop outs. i have one and they are decent quality

MTB B'dos
    Well, I guess the saying you learn something new every day is true, you sure just taught me something I didn't know. Would be interested to see if this is any stiff than a normal QR setup, or more appropriate using a 10mm skewer like the DT RWS.

Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    unless of course he's talking this sun/ringle axle

135×12 Rear Conversion Axle | SUNRinglé

which is designed to work with standard drop outs. i have one and they are decent quality
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sorry,

Yes, I meant the conversion axle...finally found it in stock online at Chainreactioncycles.

I'm gonna try the newer rp23 (but my expectations are low since I weigh 250 lbs), luckily I have spare shocks for my WFO that are the same size...an old CCDB, ISX-6, and a DHX RC4...hopefully I will just need different mounting hardware.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The prime has a slightly lower leverage ratio than the WFO (2.28:1 compared to 2.44:1), so the shock and frame will not take as much leverage loading.

The bolt up rear axles in the 135x10 dropouts make a really big difference when compared to QR. I've not run QR for years since I made the switch, and will never go back. I don't notice any stiffness difference between this style bolt up and 142x12 to be honest. There might be a difference (depending on axle) but is not noticable, as spoke and tire flex are far more apparent.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Well, I guess the saying you learn something new every day is true, you sure just taught me something I didn't know. Would be interested to see if this is any stiff than a normal QR setup, or more appropriate using a 10mm skewer like the DT RWS.
    it just makes a 12mm x 135 hub usable in a standard dropout. i had a nicolia that had a 12mm maxle and when i sold it, bought that axle to use the wheel on a bike with 135mmx10mm standard rear. just saves having to buy a new axle for the hub. mine was a hadley 12mmx135mm and it was easier and cheaper to use the conversion axle rather than buy a new hadley 10mmx135mm axle

MTB B'dos
    OK, so this is not just specific to their hubs Bit more than toying with the idea of a new wheelset, so good to know since I'm looking at a 135x12mm hub right now at a good price and being able to use it with the 12mm kit would be good. Would probably get my own axle machined down here with the step down and just make it solid with bolt on nuts, or might go for a 150mm x12.

Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    it just makes a 12mm x 135 hub usable in a standard dropout. i had a nicolia that had a 12mm maxle and when i sold it, bought that axle to use the wheel on a bike with 135mmx10mm standard rear. just saves having to buy a new axle for the hub. mine was a hadley 12mmx135mm and it was easier and cheaper to use the conversion axle rather than buy a new hadley 10mmx135mm axle
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

M80
    mtbr member

Switch over

I've already got a CCDB air waiting to go on it. All the parts on my wfo will just get swapped over. Not the angle set though. Won't need that anymore.
    The thing that I am not sure of beside which color is the size. Right now the wfo
    I am on us an XL. Its been fine but it has a high top tube that sort gets the seat in the
    the way even on full drop. I'm 6`3" so right on the border line of L And XL.
    The Prime finally looks like the bike that got it right. I'm pumped.
    Beat it to fit! Paint it to match!

MTB B'dos
    Everyone fits and like to fit a bike different, but I can safely and assuredly tell you this, unless you have some freakishly short legs for a guy 6'3" tall you'll have LOADS of standover clearance on an XL Prime. If you go browse this thread you might get a bit of help with sizing and just take a look at stand over clearance in the pic of me on my XL Prime This is the first bike I've ever ridden where my knee is higher than the TT at full extension, I have like 3" of clearance and I have a 35.25" inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by M80 View Post
    I've already got a CCDB air waiting to go on it. All the parts on my wfo will just get swapped over. Not the angle set though. Won't need that anymore.
    The thing that I am not sure of beside which color is the size. Right now the wfo
    I am on us an XL. Its been fine but it has a high top tube that sort gets the seat in the
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mine came in the mail today.

Looks to me like it will be stiffer (the skewer will slide into it, but I probably won't run it that way).

I can flex the skewer with my hands, so the conversion axle feels pretty damn stiff to me in comparison.

On a cheap food scale, the Sun Ringle QR is 54 gm, the conversion axle is 60 gm (not that I care, I was just curious).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Banshee Prime Order-p1000047r.jpg  

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Get the XL so next year when you "upgrade" I can get this frame from you.

M80
    mtbr member
    Its not so much the stand over height as the seat stay height. When I drop seat and get ready to rip through a section I want to be able to tuck in tight without the seat in the way.
    DJ, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Beat it to fit! Paint it to match!

MTB B'dos
    I've got 2" more post out on my XL Prime as compared to my XL Paradox, 9.75" on the Prime, 7.75" on the Paradox, can't see needing to drop your saddle more than the 6.5" the straight post will allow on the Paradox. Running a setback post on the Prime I can still drop it 5.25", that's a boat load IMHO. Using the setback post on the Prime because the stock 350mm it came with was at min insertion mark, well actually slightly above if set for absolute optimum pedaling efficiency and the setback is 410mm.

Its not so much the stand over height as the seat stay height. When I drop seat and get ready to rip through a section I want to be able to tuck in tight without the seat in the way.
    DJ, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Banshee Prime Order-gil_2111.jpg  

New Banshee Prime Order-p1060721.jpg  

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

beater
    To avoid posting the same thing multiple times, here's a link to a post about my fit between L and XL that I just added to the "Prime Sizing" thread.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.