The Mountain Bike Life

My 1x10 Setup on my Rune

This has taken far too long to get all together...but here it is....and it rides GREAT!

Singletrack Geek: 10 Speeds of Awesomeness

Paste eater
    Do you get and weird pedal feedback with using the granny? I run my Rune 1x9, but with a 32T and one of those custom 36T rear cog jobies.

I also run a chain guide. Not having to deal with the FD is so awesome in so many ways.

DSC00579

The Mountain Bike Life
    No feedback, I didn't get one when I was running a 24/32 either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    No feedback, I didn't get one when I was running a 24/32 either.
    You may think you're not getting feedback, until you ride a bike that doesn't have feedback. The Rune will always have pedal feedback. It's just a result of the suspension design.

I will say that I had been wondering about trying 1x using a 28 tooth granny since it's a much cheaper option. Did you have to use spacers on the BB to get the chainline decent?
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    You may think you're not getting feedback, until you ride a bike that doesn't have feedback. The Rune will always have pedal feedback. It's just a result of the suspension design.
    This is true...of course the amount of feedback totally depends on the angle of the chain (vertically) and relation between the chain and pivots.

Keith mentioned somewhere that the Rune was designed to be "neutral" around a 33t front ring- then amount of feedback is still influenced by your cog choice in back.

Anyways I've ran a bunch of different ring sizes on mine, ranging from 36 to 24, single and double, and it totally confirmed Keiths comment. I ran a 34 briefly, and the feedback was hardly noticable. Even dropping down to a 32t (that's what I have now, with a 1x9) made it much worse. I'd gather a 28 would be worse still, but better than a 22 or 24.

The cool thing about more cog sizes becoming available, is it gives us the ability to partially tune out the pedal feedback (by using 1x9 and selecting chainring size neutral to the pivots) without totally killing the bikes climbing abilities.

And yeah.... 1x9 rocks!

The Mountain Bike Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz View Post
    You may think you're not getting feedback, until you ride a bike that doesn't have feedback. The Rune will always have pedal feedback. It's just a result of the suspension design
    I will say that I had been wondering about trying 1x using a 28 tooth granny since it's a much cheaper option. Did you have to use spacers on the BB to get the chainline decent?

Good point, I don't notice it...I have been riding the rune for a long time now.

No spacers, it just worked with minimal futzing around.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    This is true...of course the amount of feedback totally depends on the angle of the chain (vertically) and relation between the chain and pivots.
    So, as in bigger ring in the back and smaller ring in front increases pedal feedback? Quite honestly, I'm not terrible familiar with PF as i've only ridden and sort of multilink bike 1x9. There have been a few instances where i've felt a funny inchworm like effect in the 32x36 combo...

All in all, I find the rune to really climb well. Better then any other 4bar/horst bike i've had. They climbed well too, good traction and really active wich was fine, but they all felt like they really squatted during steep ups... I didn't like that.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    So, as in bigger ring in the back and smaller ring in front increases pedal feedback?
    I don't totally understand the physics (as in, I won't be running any numbers! )
    But my understanding is there are two factors;
    A) Proximity of the front chain ring diameter to the main pivot(s) diameters around the BB.
    B) Angle of the chain (defined by your rear cog, as well as the front ring diameters).

So basically- when A balances out (between main pivot and chainring); and B is parallel to a direct line between the BB and rear axle, your suspension is "neutral" = no feedback.

At least thats my understanding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I don't totally understand the physics (as in, I won't be running any numbers! )
    But my understanding is there are two factors;
    A) Proximity of the front chain ring diameter to the main pivot(s) diameters around the BB.
    B) Angle of the chain (defined by your rear cog, as well as the front ring diameters).
    So basically- when A balances out (between main pivot and chainring); and B is parallel to a direct line between the BB and rear axle, your suspension is "neutral" = no feedback.

At least thats my understanding
    Sounded good though
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"