mtbr member
    Apr 2012

A mouthful about the Rune

What's that saying about water and bridges?
    Last edited by GhostWind; 11-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey, it sucks that you've had problems with your Rune, I had problems with my V1 pivots so I can sympathise.

Have you contacted Banshee directly and discussed it? I mean, I can't see any point in posting this here, if you're unhappy with the initial response then contact Keith and Jay and talk to them about it. I've had a fair amount of contact with them over the last couple of years and I've got nothing but praise for how they deal with stuff like this, Keith even helped me out at 9pm on a Friday evening.

Sorry man but I'm not sure what posting your mechanics thoughts here are going to solve especially when Banshee are well known for their great customer service.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Danshee View Post
    Hey, it sucks that you've had problems with your Rune, I had problems with my V1 pivots so I can sympathise.

Have you contacted Banshee directly and discussed it? I mean, I can't see any point in posting this here, if you're unhappy with the initial response then contact Keith and Jay and talk to them about it. I've had a fair amount of contact with them over the last couple of years and I've got nothing but praise for how they deal with stuff like this, Keith even helped me out at 9pm on a Friday evening.

Sorry man but I'm not sure what posting your mechanics thoughts here are going to solve especially when Banshee are well known for their great customer service.
    WORD!
    GhostWind, please do yourself a favor and get in Contact with the Banshee-Guys and check out what your Options are in the given Upgrade-Programm, there are several for sure, even more so when you´re in the 2-Year-Warranty!!!
    Posting here doesn´t help in any way.

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    WORD!
    GhostWind, please do yourself a favor and get in Contact with the Banshee-Guys and check out what your Options are in the given Upgrade-Programm, there are several for sure, even more so when you´re in the 2-Year-Warranty!!!
    Posting here doesn´t help in any way.

Greetings
    NoStyle
    i disagree. it does help people see both sides of an issue. if people can't post problems and issues why can people post banshee azz kissing posts then? there are two sides to every story and company.

people are pi55ed with how quickly frames have worn out, not bushings. the v1.5 frames were sold at full price and the bushing patch didnt work either for some people. in good faith people should get a new frame, not a frame with known issues. i said in a post before a bare frame without shock would be a good deal. then the customer can get the shock of their choice. it's not a perfect solution but one that is palatable.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I find the incessant *****ing motivates me to ride my trouble-free banshees, so please feel free to continue!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I find the incessant *****ing motivates me to ride my trouble-free banshees, so please feel free to continue!
    yeah, people being out a few grand shouldn't complain about. keep baglicking, you'redoing a great job

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    i disagree. it does help people see both sides of an issue. if people can't post problems and issues why can people post banshee azz kissing posts then? there are two sides to every story and company.

people are pi55ed with how quickly frames have worn out, not bushings. the v1.5 frames were sold at full price and the bushing patch didnt work either for some people. in good faith people should get a new frame, not a frame with known issues. i said in a post before a bare frame without shock would be a good deal. then the customer can get the shock of their choice. it's not a perfect solution but one that is palatable.
    I'm not saying that people shouldn't post problems or discuss them, I think that should be encouraged because it's really helpful to be able to talk to other owners. But posting about a problem that's already been discussed to death and one that Banshee have addressed doesn't help anyone, especially when the post wasn't asking for advice or help but was a complaint by proxy. That's why I suggested contacting Keith or Jay, because they are the people who will be able to help and give Ghostwind a definitive answer.

I honestly don't see how posting someone else's opinions about a problem that's been addressed by Banshee can help anyone, especially not Ghostwind.

I was one of the people with a worn V1 frame by the way, I was pi55ed off about it but I'm happy with how Banshee dealt with it. Credit were credits due.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The point of this is to help people like me decide on what to do with the options presented by Banshee. I have no doubt Jay and Kieth, who helped me years ago and set me on the path of a devoted Banshee rider, mean only the best for their customers. But I don't buy what their saying about these frames that 5 months is normal bushing wear. The words of the mechanic are meant to present an objective opinion from a highly qualified source.

The whole point is that I really want to stay with Banshee and pull the trigger on the V2 -- I still very much believe it's a great company with outstanding products. But at the end of the day, I'm trying to decide whether I should have to spend $3500 to get a reliable bike frame.

I don't know ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I appreciate your comments, Danshee, but this is not a topic that has been "discussed to death." The point is not the bushings, but the offer Banshee is making to current frame owners. A month ago I was told by Trident that I could keep the V1.5 frame as part of the deal. I thought, 'cool, I'll replace the bushings, sell the frame to someone who knows what they're getting into and put the $500 I could get out of it into the $1200 for the v2.' A few of days ago I got an email with an RA# and instructions to hack out the BB from the V1.5 and return the lot to Banshee.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear in the initial post, but I AM looking for advice. That's what I want. Do you guys think it's worth putting that much money and carnage (killing a 7 month old frame that, despite it's flawed designs, still lives up to the Banshee ride) into buying a new frame and trusting Kieth got it right this time?

mtbr member

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Danshee View Post
    I'm not saying that people shouldn't post problems or discuss them, I think that should be encouraged because it's really helpful to be able to talk to other owners. But posting about a problem that's already been discussed to death and one that Banshee have addressed doesn't help anyone, especially when the post wasn't asking for advice or help but was a complaint by proxy. That's why I suggested contacting Keith or Jay, because they are the people who will be able to help and give Ghostwind a definitive answer.

I honestly don't see how posting someone else's opinions about a problem that's been addressed by Banshee can help anyone, especially not Ghostwind.

I was one of the people with a worn V1 frame by the way, I was pi55ed off about it but I'm happy with how Banshee dealt with it. Credit were credits due.
    the post isn't about wear, it's about the trade in cost for a worn frame and what people should do. his mechanic is a neutral 3rd party offering his thoughts on the issue. to answer the op, i dont think having 3500 tied up in a frame is a good answer. by the looks of things the v2 solves the issues v1 and v1.5 had, but i agree with the op that having to shell out another $1000+ during the warranty issue sucks, but id his frame hasn't worn yet then he is only dealing with worn bushings. not ideal, but not a claim for a frame replacement at zero cost.

if he is just after an upgrade and his actual frame has no wear, then he'll have to pay the piper to upgrade to the v2 and from the looks of things, banshee has hit the nail on the head in the 6" travel range. with no bushings to wear and shorter stiffer links as well as less pedal feedback, the new rune looks like a significant upgrade from the v1/v1.5. but the bushing issues will have turned some from the brand forever. hopefully time heals all wounds and people end upcoming back. no matter what, if he wants a new frame and to get off his v1.5 he'll have to pay at least $1000 to do it for a 6" bike with decent quality,

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well I totally agree that investing so much time and money into a frame isn't good but I think that you (Ghostrider) should contact Banshee directly and discuss it with them, that's my advice. I was in the same position as you and Banshee sorted it. They're dealing with the issues on a case by case basis.

Qbert2000 is right, if it's just your bushings that are worn then that's not a claim for a warranty replacement frame and Banshee's offer is fair. However, all we can do is speculate whereas Keith and Jay can give you a definitive answer.

As to whether you should trust that Keith got it right this time, no one can answer that right now because no one has had one long enough but the initial impressions are positive.

I hope you get it sorted because it's a shitty place to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the comments from all of you.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostWind View Post
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear in the initial post, but I AM looking for advice. That's what I want.
    1. Contact your distributor to see exactly what you qualify for. Pull in Keith & Jay if needed.
    2. If you are offered a discount replacement frame, consider what it's worth to you vs. the actual cost. If you're soured on Banshee, you can always sell the new KS-link v2 frame on eBay. In fact, this is exactly the option Qbert chose!
    3. If it's determined that your current frame only needs new bushings, I believe banshee is offering free replacement axles & bushings, you could go that route. If indeed your frame has deeper issues, than you should be offered a discount replacement. Either way, I am pretty sure you will be taken care of.

As for your mechanics' assessment.... although Turner and Banshee both use igus journal bearings, the designs and maintenance routines are totally different. I've owned several turners and it's true their bushings last a long time with very little maintenance. The Banshee system is not sealed so it goes through bushings faster. You can order replacement bushings directly from Igus for under $10 for a complete set. On my frame frame at least, replacing them 2-3x a year has been about right. Given the ease of replacement and cost I've never personally felt this was an issue, but it's not for everybody.

Last....as Danshee and NoStyle mentioned, this actually has been covered ad nauseum. Every time it comes up, Qbert throws a tantrum, and apparently anyone who disagrees is "azz kissing"! I actually find this amusing, hence my post below, which created exactly the outcome I expected.

Best of luck with the outcome!

mtbr member
    Gotta agree with FMs #1 bullet point. I ended up unloading my Rune a week before all the hype about replacement came out. I got rid of it after like 10 months because it had play and I feared I was going to end up with a useless bike I couldn't ride or sell with the amount of play that was developing. Banshee definitely worked out a nice deal with me. More than anything I'm looking for an ultra reliable bike that fits me well. Ive been riding a Wildcard which is super playful and built like a tank, but it's a little cramped and a bit skittish on the steep stuff. If the v2 comes thru with the durability of the wildcard, I'll be stoked.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Dudes, please don´t get me wrong - my intention is NOT to stop people from posting their issues!
    I can totally fell that issues like worn-out Frames, Axles and such sucks to death. Another Point is that the final Solutions by Banshee took their time, for some of the Customers way too much time - I can understand that too.

But:
    The Solution is here and now!
    My concern is that postings like the on from GhostWind can give maybe misleading or incorrect information about the Upgrade-Programm Banshee offers. There are several Solutions free of any charge, others are at cost.
    Statements like "From my stand point and in my professional opinion, your getting shafted. You paid $2,000 for a frame and now 7 months later you have a rear end that's so sloppy I wouldn't want to ride it for fear of breaking a pivot shaft or side loading the shock to the point of wearing out another main seal (I'm assuming that's what happened with yours at any rate) and there's also the chance that things could start to wear into the frame. Now they want you to pay $1,200 for a new frame and destroy a frame with a known failure history? That frame should be replaced under warranty with a new version." leads to people thinking they have to generally pay to get covered through the Offerings, which is not the case.
    It´s all about differentiation and correct Information. If you are not shure how you are qualified on that Programm, than please get in contact with your distributor or at least with one of the Banshee-Guys - that´s all!

Just with FM:
    Best of luck with the outcome!

Many Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I thought since his is a v 1.5 and within 2 years hhe qaulified for this.

If your chassis is within the 2 year warranty period, and there is
    wear/cracks/defects to the frame, you can;

1. receive a replacement version 1.5, (2012 frame) free of charge. All
    your parts including damper will be compatible. The frame must be
    returned to Banshee.

2. upgrade to version 2, (2013 frame) plus Fox kashima Float CTD for
    $875 plus tax. The frame must be returned to Banshee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    took too much time and V1 frames went out of warranty and became useless.

BILLDAWG
    Feb 2010
    Waiting for 2 months for frame replacement v1.5 and was wondering if anyone has issues with this frame and if it will be worth building or should I just sell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
    Waiting for 2 months for frame replacement v1.5 and was wondering if anyone has issues with this frame and if it will be worth building or should I just sell?
    in all reality you should have went v2 if you had the choice. i believe people still had issues with v1.5 frame wear as well. i'd sell and go v2 just because the design looks so much better and the primes wit the new ks link seem to be problem free. it's your call if you build it up or sell. unfortunately, now that the v2s are here, i don't think you'll get much for the v1.5 selling it.

BILLDAWG
    Feb 2010
    They wanted me to pay 850 for v2 frame and I felt I should not have to pay anything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
    They wanted me to pay 850 for v2 frame and I felt I should not have to pay anything
    you had frame wear? or just bushing wear?

BILLDAWG
    Feb 2010
    I cracked weld on bottom bracket,I never had any frameware