mtbr member

Moar Scythe Short Shock Questions

So I am going to go for the SSS (short shocked Scythe) but I have some questions about shocks.

The first question is about air vs coil.
    I just sold off my 8.75x2.75 CCDB coil. And I plan to use the money to pick up a 8.5x2.5 shock. So do I go for coil again or would the DB air be worth a try? I know that they are not out yet so there isn't very much real world experience with it, but would it be worth a try? Or should I stick to what I know is good and get another DB coil? I don't think resale will be a problem with the DB air, but I would rather not waste my time on it if it is a bad idea.

Second question:
    If I stick to coil will I need to get a different spring weight? When I bought the shock it came with a 550, but that was way too stiff. I bought a 450 and a 400 to try out and I liked the 400 best. For reference I weigh ~190 geared up and ride aggressively. Lots of shuttling, and park riding, but I also use the bike as my heavy duty AM machine. Will the leverage change enough to warrant a different spring weight or should I stick to the 400.

Really looking forward to getting this bike put back together.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Review: Initial Thoughts on the Cane Creek DBAir

great article that answered my first question. I am going for coil now. still curious about spring weight though. Guess I will have to buy a few and see what sticks.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Spring weight should be about the same to get same %sag as leverage ratio does not change.

I can't comment on DBair as I haven't tried one yet.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog