mtbr member

Manitou coil for Elka?

Will it fit? I may need to experiment with spring rates. My LBS only carries Manitou coils.

mtbr member
    Don't go there - they're VERY heavy for their respective sizes. Heaviest springs I've come across.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Don't go there - they're VERY heavy for their respective sizes. Heaviest springs I've come across.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Really??? Them and progressive have been the lightest ones I have come across. I am pretty sure that the DSP (diverse) and manitou were made in the same factory.

If you want the heaviest Ti coils then RCS takes it. They are quite a bit heavier. Maybe that is what you were thinking off. Also obtanium weigh a bit more since you have to use adapters.

Manitou's used to be crazy light because their i2i length was shorter then everyone elses. The realized that since it was a ti coil it could be shorter and not get coil bind. My 2.75" ti coil was shorter than some 2.5" ti and steel coils I had laying around and a 350 x 2.75 weighed less than my 325 X 2.5 progressive one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    Really??? Them and progressive have been the lightest ones I have come across. I am pretty sure that the DSP (diverse) and manitou were made in the same factory.

If you want the heaviest Ti coils then RCS takes it. They are quite a bit heavier. Maybe that is what you were thinking off. Also obtanium weigh a bit more since you have to use adapters.

Manitou's used to be crazy light because their i2i length was shorter then everyone elses. The realized that since it was a ti coil it could be shorter and not get coil bind. My 2.75" ti coil was shorter than some 2.5" ti and steel coils I had laying around and a 350 x 2.75 weighed less than my 325 X 2.5 progressive one.
    For Ti, yes. For steel no - they are pig heavy and the OP didn't mention anything about Ti. Also, FWIW, the Obtanium springs have fewer winds and are always among the lightest even with the adapters (have them too). Unfortunately they are toasted ravioli these dayz.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I can back G man up on this. The steel springs that Elka sells are very nice. They are worth the extra $20 compared to the manitou springs.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein