Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Legend owners, please post pics

22K views 105 replies 34 participants last post by  home_piece 
#1 ·
I love my Legend !

Attachments

See less See more
#17 ·
I love the polished legend. Wish it was an option when I bought mine. I was one of the first batch owners (preordered in 2009) and still love it too much to even consider anything else. There will be some changes over the winter - new shock and probably a fork repainted black with new stickers. With Ti spring and old formula oro's managed to get it as low as 16.4kg on 2ply tires with no carbon but with a ti spring. With the new front wheel (799g on stans ztr) and early season fr casing schwables and a planned ccdb air I'd probably go way under 16kg. Now I have a few heavier parts (need to get my dura ace casette from the heavier rear wheel to the new one, and the heavier casette to the training spare wheel)

#23 ·
norbar, nice bike. damn light!

Schwalbe HD or MM? for both? Re new rear wheel, what rim? With black fork, this looks good.
Rear rim is old 823 - they were lighter than the current gen at 590 but stiff enough to use revolution spokes without loosing wheel stiffness.

The new front wheel is a stans ZTR + pillar superspoke ss (lighter than sapim superspoke) + deetrax front hub (lighter than hope).

I also have a ton of TI, Chunked stemcrown etc.

The Muddy Marry. Early season wet tire when it doesn't pour.

#22 ·

This is my bike. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My bike is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My bike, without me, is useless. Without my bike, I am useless. I must ride my bike true. I must ride faster than any enemy who is trying to drop me. I must drop him before he drops me. I will... My bike and myself know that what counts in this war is not the air we catch, the whips we throw, nor the manuals we pull. We know that it is the Strava points that count. We will flow... My bike is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weakness, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its drive chain and its suspension. I will keep my bike clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will.... Before God I swear this creed. My bike and myself are the defenders of my trails. We are the masters of rock gardens. We are the saviors of my weekends. So be it, until victory is mine and there is no brake checking, but flow.

#25 ·
The Legend is definitely a pretty stunning ride. I've spent time on the Giant Glory, the Norco DH and Aurum, and the Legend. I've also had a short amount of time riding the Devinci Wilson and the Pivot Phoenix. The Legend is certainly my favorite of all of these bikes.
The Legend is very stable at speed, like any half decent DH bike should be. However, it is still very nimble and capable of quick line changes when necessary. This surprised me a bit, since I had expected the low and slack geometry to make it feel less nimble than the DH or the Glory, both of which have taller bottom brackets and steeper head angles. If anything, the Legend feels more nimble than either of those. Admittedly, this is possibly because the Legend always seems to be goading me to go faster, and it really comes to life when it is going fast. The low bottom bracket feels really planted in the corners, and the low center of gravity makes it very stable in the air. I also feel like the low stand-over height gives it an edge in the air compared to most other DH bikes I've been on; this thing is really fun to through around. The top tube sits so low that it always looks a bit funny to me how high the seatpost is raised up for a DH bike, just to get it to a reasonable height to be able to sit down occasionally.
The suspension is happy to eat up decent sized hits at speed or on steeps without bogging down, probably largely due to the initial rearward axle path. This also creates a fair amount of chain growth which contributes to great pedaling efficiency, but I have never really noticed much in the way of pedal feedback. The Legend really responds when you put the power down coming out of a corner or getting up to speed.
I do notice that there is a bit of a click as the suspension compresses from the clutch mechanism of the SRAM type 2 derailleur breaking free due to the chain growth (which was not as evident with the same derailleur on the Norco DH), but it is not noticeable while riding. Still, it bugs me a bit when I am just tooling around on the bike, and I may end up switching to a Saint derailleur and shifter next summer because of it.
All in all though, the Legend just kills it, and I'd highly recommend one if you get the chance to get your hands on one.

#26 ·
Wow that was an awesome review :) and it seems like you been on some really nice DH bikes to compare it too as well .. This frame reminds me of a Turner DHR looks wise .

Is there any type of brake squat with this particular setup ? I loved the way my Kona Operator felt and the feedback i got from it , def felt nice in berms, didnt bog too much , and was planted to go faster and faster just couldnt get comfy with the frame, always felt like i was OTB all the time.

#27 · (Edited)
Thank you; I love this bike, and I felt it deserved a good review. I can't say that I've ever felt noticeable brake squat or brake jack with the Legend. It has been very confidence-inspiring on some of the steepest sections of Winter Park's Trestle DH, Crested Butte's Avery trail, and Snowmass' Banzai DH trail. I have definitely found myself in situations on those trails where the terrain made me a bit nervous, but I felt like I could say to myself "Man, the bike can handle this: just trust it..." and it has certainly not let me down yet.

I feel like I should mention something negative about the bike to be fair, but I just can't really come up with much. I felt like the Wilson (with it's shorter chainstays) felt a bit poppier and more playful, but maybe at the expense of the more planted and stable feeling that the Legend has at speed. Also, the Maxle lite rear axle seemed to be prone to failing after a season or so of hard use, but the new Ti axle (standard on the 2013 models) looks pretty bombproof. Other than those very minor quibbles, this bike just kills it!

#30 ·
Nice pics !
Can you just tell us what's your height in centimeters please ?
Since you're using a 28mms stem & I'm on a 15mms at 1.72m.

Then another question, do you put the Saint derailleur "mode converter" with this 11-28 cassette ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.