Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by hartwerks View Post
    The Legend is definitely a pretty stunning ride. I've spent time on the Giant Glory, the Norco DH and Aurum, and the Legend. I've also had a short amount of time riding the Devinci Wilson and the Pivot Phoenix. The Legend is certainly my favorite of all of these bikes.
    The Legend is very stable at speed, like any half decent DH bike should be. However, it is still very nimble and capable of quick line changes when necessary. This surprised me a bit, since I had expected the low and slack geometry to make it feel less nimble than the DH or the Glory, both of which have taller bottom brackets and steeper head angles. If anything, the Legend feels more nimble than either of those. Admittedly, this is possibly because the Legend always seems to be goading me to go faster, and it really comes to life when it is going fast. The low bottom bracket feels really planted in the corners, and the low center of gravity makes it very stable in the air. I also feel like the low stand-over height gives it an edge in the air compared to most other DH bikes I've been on; this thing is really fun to through around. The top tube sits so low that it always looks a bit funny to me how high the seatpost is raised up for a DH bike, just to get it to a reasonable height to be able to sit down occasionally.
    The suspension is happy to eat up decent sized hits at speed or on steeps without bogging down, probably largely due to the initial rearward axle path. This also creates a fair amount of chain growth which contributes to great pedaling efficiency, but I have never really noticed much in the way of pedal feedback. The Legend really responds when you put the power down coming out of a corner or getting up to speed.
    I do notice that there is a bit of a click as the suspension compresses from the clutch mechanism of the SRAM type 2 derailleur breaking free due to the chain growth (which was not as evident with the same derailleur on the Norco DH), but it is not noticeable while riding. Still, it bugs me a bit when I am just tooling around on the bike, and I may end up switching to a Saint derailleur and shifter next summer because of it.
    All in all though, the Legend just kills it, and I'd highly recommend one if you get the chance to get your hands on one.
    Wow that was an awesome review and it seems like you been on some really nice DH bikes to compare it too as well .. This frame reminds me of a Turner DHR looks wise .

Is there any type of brake squat with this particular setup ? I loved the way my Kona Operator felt and the feedback i got from it , def felt nice in berms, didnt bog too much , and was planted to go faster and faster just couldnt get comfy with the frame, always felt like i was OTB all the time.

mtbr member
    Thank you; I love this bike, and I felt it deserved a good review. I can't say that I've ever felt noticeable brake squat or brake jack with the Legend. It has been very confidence-inspiring on some of the steepest sections of Winter Park's Trestle DH, Crested Butte's Avery trail, and Snowmass' Banzai DH trail. I have definitely found myself in situations on those trails where the terrain made me a bit nervous, but I felt like I could say to myself "Man, the bike can handle this: just trust it..." and it has certainly not let me down yet.

I feel like I should mention something negative about the bike to be fair, but I just can't really come up with much. I felt like the Wilson (with it's shorter chainstays) felt a bit poppier and more playful, but maybe at the expense of the more planted and stable feeling that the Legend has at speed. Also, the Maxle lite rear axle seemed to be prone to failing after a season or so of hard use, but the new Ti axle (standard on the 2013 models) looks pretty bombproof. Other than those very minor quibbles, this bike just kills it!
    Last edited by hartwerks; 12-30-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spacing

mtbr member
    I don't have any good pics of mine but here is one from when I first got it earlier this year:

_va
    mtbr member
    My Legend MKII 2012

My local spot: http://thespot.pro/

08 Master DH World champ'
    Nice pics !
    Can you just tell us what's your height in centimeters please ?
    Since you're using a 28mms stem & I'm on a 15mms at 1.72m.

Then another question, do you put the Saint derailleur "mode converter" with this 11-28 cassette ?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams ...
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

_va
    mtbr member
    In Russia winter. The bicycle isn't tested yet in fighting conditions

Quote Originally Posted by _va View Post
    In Russia winter. The bicycle isn't tested yet in fighting conditions
    Thanks !

It's winter in France too & I'm still putting the pieces together.

But what about this one ? Do you put the Saint derailleur "mode converter" with this 11-28 cassette ?
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

_va
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ED young master View Post
    Then another question, do you put the Saint derailleur "mode converter" with this 11-28 cassette ?
    No, without it

No, without it
    OK but you have not tested it yet, so ....
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

_va
    mtbr member
    yes.. may be mod conversion need only for 11-32(34) cassette?

yes.. may be mod conversion need only for 11-32(34) cassette?
    Yes, that's what's said.
    But it depends on frames too.
    Have you read this, here ?

By now you're all hopefully familiar with Shimano's new clutch derailleur system, Shadow+. If you're not, you should be. This revolutionary technology is the greatest thing since the dropper post and will greatly improve any ride. At the basic level, the clutch works similar to a coaster brake, which allows motion in only one direction, preventing the derailleur cage from rotating and thereby keeping the chain tight at all times, helping to eliminate chain slap and improve shift consistency. Much like its XTR predecessor, the clutch on the Saint derailleur does its job very well. The chain still occasionally contacts the chainstay, so you'll want to use a chainstay guard, but it's far less frequent than a traditional derailleur.

Now then, after praising the clutch mechanism, we have to point out one fatal flaw that can potentially negate the improvements provided by the clutch. On day one, our test bike was legitimately noisier than a traditional derailleur. How can that be? It turns out that the rather large clutch knuckle/switch portion of the derailleur was hitting the chainstay, not the chain.

After introducing a new direct-mount derailleur hanger at Sea Otter this year, Shimano had to design the new Saint derailleur to work with both traditional and direct-mount hangers. Herein lies the problem. When installed, the direct-mount hanger positions the derailleur lower and further back than a traditional hanger. Because none of the bikes at the launch were outfitted with the direct-mount hanger, compatibility and clearance issues became readily obvious. Nearly every bike without an up-sloping chainstay had the same issue, and some more-so than others, particularly FSR designs. To remedy the problem, Shimano's techs added more b-tension to some bikes and inserted a "mode converter" on others.
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

_va
    mtbr member
    Yesterday swept around the city 15 kilometers. Were both descents and liftings. Switching was ideal even when lifting uphill

It's not about shifting but more about the derailleur hitting the swingarm, just drop a few stair steps to see that.
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

_va
    mtbr member
    As moved down steps in transition to the subway))) chain Blows about a feather of the especially strong I didn't notice

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Legend owners, please post pics-p4pb9166298.jpg

mtbr member
    Speaking of weight, is it a Race Face crankset ?

Big gain to be done here !!!
    Atlas FR. Lighter than saint without the stupid burly tabs. I'm pretty light so I was thinking descendant but if you have something in mind I'm open to suggestions.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

_va
    mtbr member
    One day on skiing slope

Quote Originally Posted by norbar View Post
    Atlas FR. Lighter than saint without the stupid burly tabs. I'm pretty light so I was thinking descendant but if you have something in mind I'm open to suggestions.
    Not sure about the weight of your Atlas, but you could consider the SRAM X0 DH ?
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

mtbr member
    Not sure about the weight of your Atlas, but you could consider the SRAM X0 DH ?
    I wouldn't go that route unless you are just going for light weight, saw 3 sets blow up locally this summer, and there are pic's all over the web of failures.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    I wouldn't go that route unless you are just going for light weight, saw 3 sets blow up locally this summer, and there are pic's all over the web of failures.
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar View Post
    I'm pretty light so I was thinking descendant but if you have something in mind I'm open to suggestions.
    I'm personaly going for it at 72kgs naked.
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

mtbr member
    I'm personaly going for it at 72kgs naked.
    hum hum...72 kgs naked!!
    tiny little boy ahahah!!

since 2 years now I use a lot the E13 booklet, bottom bracket, cranks chain guides and since this years the wheelset (just for the huds!!!they are so masisve and so ligth!!)
    anyway, LG1+ seems to be a good alternative, it is 760 grs included BB ...quite stronger than the X0 and by the way, i think that it's cheaper...
    the X0 is 750 grs included BB....
    AisaBike
    Banshee Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Atala View Post
    hum hum...72 kgs naked!!
    tiny little boy ahahah!!
    Hey still waiting for your datas !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atala View Post
    since 2 years now I use a lot the E13 booklet, bottom bracket, cranks chain guides and since this years the wheelset (just for the huds!!!they are so masisve and so ligth!!)
    anyway, LG1+ seems to be a good alternative, it is 760 grs included BB ...quite stronger than the X0 and by the way, i think that it's cheaper...
    the X0 is 750 grs included BB....
    Nice ... buying it from ya would've been a good solution ?
    Anyway the X0 was cheap, "used" but new !
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Fresh paint/fork/drivetrain/bars for 2013.

Legend owners, please post pics-p5pb9337364.jpg

Some A-Line action last fall...

Legend owners, please post pics-p4pb9073044.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks great. Mine is going to paint soon. Need new bearings too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast