mtbr member

Legend + Angleset

Has anyone tried an agleset with a legend? How do you like slacker geo? I feel like a lower bb and slacker ha wouldn't burden the bike(I didn't have time to buy a new spring after I gained some weight and rode with 50% sag and the geo felt awesome) and I'm interested in some experimenting. Especially since the k9 reducer is relatively cheap.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    63.8 HA and 13.7" bb isnt slack and low enough for ya?
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    63.8 HA and 13.7" bb isnt slack and low enough for ya?
    Don't get me wrong the bike feels great. I just think it's good to experiment instead of assuming slacker/lower won't be better. Especially because the bike feels far from being too low or too slack.

mtbr member
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Our world cup guys have played around with them, Adam Brayton actually used his angleset to make it steeper for UK tracks. They both went slacker for Mont St Anne for the high speed stability (these guys are FAST), but I don't think either of them stuck with it. My personal experience is that slacker than a point and it becomes a harder bike to ride that will only handle well at speed. as it is the Legend is not made for slow speed riding really... if your not riding it flat out, then you are not getting the best from it.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    63.8 is pretty slack. I think 62.8 would be too slack for me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm with the mob here, I say leave it (for a few reasons).

1. in stock geo, its a very balanced riding bike. you sit right in the middle, both wheels are weighted right, the bike moves around naturally, and all is well. If you start slacking it out, you need to compensate with a more forward weight bias in order to get enough traction with your front tire, and you start throwing off that fantastic balance. the rear wheel doesn't get as much weight on it, stops doing its job as well, doesn't want to hold as well in corners, etc etc etc...

2. like Keith said, its already a fairly slack bike, and it already isn't the biggest fan of going slowly. if you slack it out more, its going to require that you pin it that much harder in order to make it work right and feel good. Assuming what he's saying about the world cup guys not needing it that slack, I'm going to go ahead and say you probably wont either (also going on the assumption that you aren't quite world cup fast). while bikes that need to be ridden very fast to feel right have their place (gnar gnar race courses), I think it would be a detriment to the bike everywhere else.

that said, if you've got the headset, and you're bored, there's no harm in experimentation. I just say you do it scientifically. get a stopwatch, go to your local track, and time yourself to see if there's any appreciable benefit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Our world cup guys have played around with them, Adam Brayton actually used his angleset to make it steeper for UK tracks. They both went slacker for Mont St Anne for the high speed stability (these guys are FAST), but I don't think either of them stuck with it. My personal experience is that slacker than a point and it becomes a harder bike to ride that will only handle well at speed. as it is the Legend is not made for slow speed riding really... if your not riding it flat out, then you are not getting the best from it.
    I think it all depends on preferance. I know that you can make it too slack but I have some friends who actually prefer a slacker bike and have commented that going form 64 to 62 was a good change even though our trails are not really fast. I'm not saying it will be better but I'm curious. I know that legend is not made for slow speed riding. Tried some slower speed trails at Alpe D Huez and it was a bit harder to ride than my previous bike (am technical trails though) but I like how it behaves when it becomes fast. I'm going to keep the bike for my 3rd year (first time ever)and I have to say unless I test ride something that rides better I will keep it for the 4th. I'm just thinking of what I can improve in my build. It's a bit hard at the moment since I'm close to what I really want without throwing a shitload of cash for enve or that upcoming easton havocs carbon (I'm a student who gets some deals, not warren buffet though).

My 2nd idea is - has anyone tried a vivid air or a ccdb air with the legend? Not really for weight as I will be back again at 16.5kg with burly build but superior damping and both shocks with air could be even better than the rc4. Any comments on that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've tried both shocks... I have to say that I really wasn't a fan of the vivid air... it wasn't as supple on stutter bumps, and was too linear for my liking (I realise you can add spacers to increase progression tho)... and mine developed issues after 2 weeks of riding Whistler, but it was a pre production shock, so that has to be taken into account, and I'm sure rockshox addressed this ages ago. The double barrel is a great shock on the legend, I can't really fault it to be honest it is up there with Elka and BOS, tends to be slightly on their heavier damping side than both other options, so comes down to personal preferance.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I've tried both shocks... I have to say that I really wasn't a fan of the vivid air... it wasn't as supple on stutter bumps, and was too linear for my liking (I realise you can add spacers to increase progression tho)... and mine developed issues after 2 weeks of riding Whistler, but it was a pre production shock, so that has to be taken into account, and I'm sure rockshox addressed this ages ago. The double barrel is a great shock on the legend, I can't really fault it to be honest it is up there with Elka and BOS, tends to be slightly on their heavier damping side than both other options, so comes down to personal preferance.
    When you speak about the ccdb do you speak about the ccdb air? I really like heavier damping but the coil ccdb would be a bit too linear for my riding. I am not really fast but tend to get stupid after too long time on one track.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm talking about the CCDB coil. I haven't tested the air on the legend. The CCDB coil if set up properly will never noticably bottom out unless you really land lard on the flat.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I'm talking about the CCDB coil. I haven't tested the air on the legend. The CCDB coil if set up properly will never noticably bottom out unless you really land lard on the flat.
    I dont want to go into funky hsc settings. What I like about my rc4 is that I can have enough hsc for fast landings and some bottom out for going of track, riding over random obstacle on the track or landing too far/short. That's why I want a progressive shock too. A bit more safety.

mtbr member
    Ok I though it over and I think I'm just looking for a way to dump my cash since I have less time = less trips. I will go and have something balls out this winter instead.

btw. Keith where will it be the easiest to catch you lately? I think one of the guys from our magazine has been talking with Jay but we want to do a Legend story from birth to production. I know I can find most of it on the blog but some comments would always be usefull.

mtbr member
    Since you are Talking about the Vivid Air: what tune should be the best, maybe i could catch One cheap for trying & Saving some weight.