mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Just talked to drop N zone about a Rune`

I think I am going to order a Medium with an Elka shock. I am going to set this bike up to ride great, go down better, and everything inbetween. He has a white one in stock but about 2-3 weeks on anything else.
    I might even have it powdercoated a custom color
    Now I have to decide on the rest of the components! Single ring or dual up front, forks, rear derailleur, brakes... GEEE time to start planning one out

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I recently ordered the last gloss black medium they had in stock. Should get here this coming week, just waiting on the Elka...

mtbr member
    Congrats, the Rune is amazing. If you're going to truly use it as an all 'rounder go with a dual ring up front. 24/36 with a 11-32 cassette out back would be a good choice. The Lyrik DH 170mm models can't be beat in my opinion but a Fox 36 in so slouch either. Sram or Shimano? Can't go wrong with either. Full XT would be killer or if your going really hardcore SLX stuff is great. If you need braking power with control Saint Brakes are where it's at. Uf you go SRAM the x.9 stuff is a friggin workhorse line and relatively affordable. Spring for the X.0 if you've go the dough.

So many choices, I love building bikes! Wheels...hmm Mavic Crossmax SX would be killer or even Shimano's XTs. Custom built is always a winner too. Hope hubs laced to whatever is a popular choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i have to be honest, Have not been in the biking scene for a LONG time. Well about 7 years since all my bikes wer stolen from my shop. But before that I raced BMX, and Dual years ago.

I talked with Matty on the phone at Drop N Zone yesterday. I am a stickler for people who treat customers right. I was pleased with talking to them and even got a follow up EMail from him to start a trail to be in contact with. Was very pleased.

I plan to run a 160mm fork. I looked at all the Fox forks and have to research what the hell the differences are between the 3 36 forks offered. I wont scrimp here... what is everyones opinions?

I see a lot of people raving over the saint rear derailleur, What is one of the better set ups right now?

I was thinking of going with some Race Face cranks, but maybe this is not the way to go?

Then of course the Chromar stuff looks fantastic for bars, stem and seat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Mine is arriving on Tuesday...so thrilled...CCDB and Fox 36 Van...Gloss Black Large...yeeehaaa!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I sure hope mine gets here this week. Here's my build (transferring over from previous bike, except for the new shorter stem)

rockshox Domain 160 mm u-turn fork (but will soon get the parts to swap between 160 and 180 mm)
    elixir cr 8" brakes
    hope pro II/mavic 823/ intense 909 2.5 tires for wheels
    answer protaper bar, funn rippa 45 mm stem, lizard skinlogo locking grips
    sram x9 shifters & der., shimano lx cranks/bashguard/22-32, blackspire stinger
    titec el norte saddle, thompson post
    should weigh around 36 lbs.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasjeep
    i have to be honest, Have not been in the biking scene for a LONG time. Well about 7 years since all my bikes wer stolen from my shop. But before that I raced BMX, and Dual years ago.

I talked with Matty on the phone at Drop N Zone yesterday. I am a stickler for people who treat customers right. I was pleased with talking to them and even got a follow up EMail from him to start a trail to be in contact with. Was very pleased.

I plan to run a 160mm fork. I looked at all the Fox forks and have to research what the hell the differences are between the 3 36 forks offered. I wont scrimp here... what is everyones opinions?

I see a lot of people raving over the saint rear derailleur, What is one of the better set ups right now?

I was thinking of going with some Race Face cranks, but maybe this is not the way to go?

36 -> Float or Van, skip the Talas for the Rune
    Saint is fine, I run SRAM X9, hard to go wrong there

Nothing wrong with Race Face cranks but I tend to be a fan of Shimano's personally. Easier to setup, easier to work on, light and strong. I'm running Saint's on my Rune now (pulled off the XTR's and threw 'em on my hardtail).

mtbr member
    Super stoked to see all of these builds. you'll be super happy with this frame. My dad rides one and i've had the chance to pedal it a bunch. It is by far one of the most fun bike I've been on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xoSz9TfpvM
    Just built her up 2 days ago!!!
    Awesome bike, mines on the heavy side but very light for me!
    I

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Drop Zone rocks

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by p3ripperfw
    Drop Zone rocks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    float is air, no travel adjust. talus is air, with travel adjust. van is coil.

the van is probably the plushest and burliest. float doesn't seem to sacrifice much in responsiveness and they're really light. also more progressive, so that's plus or a minus depending on how you like your suspension to perform. fox seems to have worked out their issues with the talas but i don't miss travel adjust on my rune, nor does anyone else seemingly, so i'd save the dough and go with a van or float

lots of shimano vs sram debates out there but the higher end stuff (x9/x0 or slx/xt/xtr) all works great. you might want to check out the ergonomics of the shifters and choose based on which you like better

unless you want the bling and cool color factor of the atlas cranks, go shimano. cheaper, easier to set up, shifting is second to none and they last

it's not the lightest, and personally i'm not a fan of the new look, but their stuff is solid. the only comp they make that i'd stay away from is the seatpost - too much $ for a bonded piece imo

everyone who owns one (except the guy i bought mine from for a song!) seems to love their rune - enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Lol threads almost 2 months old....hopefully he has one built by now....I had typed out something too until I realized how old the thread was.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    oops