mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Just Bought a 2012 Spitfire Frame.....A Few Questions

So I sort of impulsively bought a new 2012 Spitfire frame for short money. I couldn't really pass the deal up considering I was in market for a trail bike. So I've been doing so research and am okay with some of the bushing issues. Anyway, just a few questions for Spitfire owners.

The frame has grease ports. Awesome. What type of grease gun will work? Can pick this up at the local hardware store?

What length fork? I was leaning towards a 140-150 mm, is 160 mm too much?

Zero stack or external bearing headset?

As for bushing maintenance. From what I've read it sounds like the bushings need to cleaned and greased regularly. I'll also order an extra set. Any other tips for this?

Any other general set up tips would be awesome. Thanks.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think most of us ex-V1 owners have moved on from that bad experience, to the joy of owning a V2 (I do) or something entirely different and might not be in the mood to talk V1 ever again - not without cursing. All of your questions can be answered by reading previous threads... anyway...
    A standard grease gun will work, best with a custom adopter.
    160 mm fork is not too much, depends on AC, but I ran my V1 with a Fox 36 and zero stack and it worked great.
    Bushing maintenance... hahaha... hope you got a good one otherwise you'll be replacing bushings every 5th ride...
    Anyway, read the old threads...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I got a great e-mail from Dennis over at Banshee explaining proper bushing maintenance the 2012 Spitfires. He said it boils down to proper torque of the pivot bolts to keep the bushings going. Also a thread on here explains that Banshee put in axles in the 2012 Spitfires, solving the bushing wear issues.

Either way, the new frame comes tomorrow and I'll be putting it to work soon. Keeping my fingers crossed the frame works out.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    very familiar with "proper" torque (finger tight haha) and new axles... anyway, good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I got a great e-mail from Dennis over at Banshee explaining proper bushing maintenance the 2012 Spitfires. He said it boils down to proper torque of the pivot bolts to keep the bushings going. Also a thread on here explains that Banshee put in axles in the 2012 Spitfires, solving the bushing wear issues.

Either way, the new frame comes tomorrow and I'll be putting it to work soon. Keeping my fingers crossed the frame works out.
    could you enlighten us on what that email said? I am confused as to whether or not the service kit axles and bushings and wear washers are now incorporated into the 2012 frames... If so, has anyone had experience with this from the begining???

I think that if you were experiencing wear problems and stuck in another bushing set with some washers and keronite axles, that isn't going to affect you. This is because your method of fatigue has already been developed.. AKA, you are already wearing in certain spots, and thus you are going to continue to wear in those spots.. Atleast thats what my engineering degree tells me. I could go into some more explanation about my theory, but I want to hear from someone who has had the 2012 frame. NOT someone who has had the 2008 frame that they put 12,000 miles on with no rebuilds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alefer5 View Post
    could you enlighten us on what that email said? I am confused as to whether or not the service kit axles and bushings and wear washers are now incorporated into the 2012 frames... If so, has anyone had experience with this from the begining???

I think that if you were experiencing wear problems and stuck in another bushing set with some washers and keronite axles, that isn't going to affect you. This is because your method of fatigue has already been developed.. AKA, you are already wearing in certain spots, and thus you are going to continue to wear in those spots.. Atleast thats what my engineering degree tells me. I could go into some more explanation about my theory, but I want to hear from someone who has had the 2012 frame. NOT someone who has had the 2008 frame that they put 12,000 miles on with no rebuilds.
    Here's the bulk of the e-mail:

"The key is to not over-tighten the pivot bolts. If play starts to develop in the rear end, the worst thing you can do is to over-tighten the pivot bolts. Horizontal play is a sign that the bushings are worn & need replacing. A lot of problems occur when people over-tighten the bolts to take up the play which results in metal on metal contact & the frame wearing itself away. Vertical play (much more common) occurs when the ano starts to wear off the pivot axles. You can prolong their lifespan by re-greasing them on a reasonably regular basis.

To re-grease the axles, all you need to do is to pop off the plastic plugs in the non drive side end of the pivots with a small flat head screwdriver. Then unscrew the small M3 set screws that you'll find at the base of the hex socket underneath where the plug was. These are just 2 stages of protection against getting grit into the pivots. Use a needle nose grease gun to push grease down the grease port (which goes down the middle of the axle & then out to the center of the pivot between bushings). You should do this until you see old grease purging from the pivots around the bushing flanges. Loosening the pivots slightly will make it easy to purge old grease. After you learn how to do it, the total job of greasing the pivots only takes 5 mins. There is no need to grease the seat stay pivots.

Once you have the new axles in & well greased, this is the process that I follow to ensure correct pivot torque..."

From what I understand from poking around the web is that the 2012 Spitfire got new pivot axles and washers which helped prolong bushing wear. I pulled apart my frame out of the box, re-greased everything and torqued everything properly. From the reviews I've read, the pre-2012 Spitfires has bushing issues. I have yet to read about any problems with 2012s.

Of course this is all internet mumbo jumbo and I'm no engineer. My new 2012 Spitfire is built and I'll be riding it. I'm certainly going to take the time to make sure all the hardware is maintained and greased. If the frame runs smooth, great. If it doesn't, I'll have to deal with it.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH

person
    V1 Spitfire owner here.
    I got a set of warranty pivot axles late last season. My frame had developed vertical play exactly as you described above (Ano wore down on the main axle behind the BB). Up until that point I had a very smooth experience with my frame. I replaced bushings about 2-3 times a season. That amount of maintenance was completely acceptable to me considering how much riding I was doing at the time (A LOT) and how easy/cheap it is to do a set of bushings... granted I do enjoy wrenching more than most I feel.

Love my bike. Good luck with your spitty!
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker View Post
    V1 Spitfire owner here.
    I got a set of warranty pivot axles late last season. My frame had developed vertical play exactly as you described above (Ano wore down on the main axle behind the BB). Up until that point I had a very smooth experience with my frame. I replaced bushings about 2-3 times a season. That amount of maintenance was completely acceptable to me considering how much riding I was doing at the time (A LOT) and how easy/cheap it is to do a set of bushings... granted I do enjoy wrenching more than most I feel.

Love my bike. Good luck with your spitty!
    Sweet. That's about the amount of maintenance I'm expecting. I've got 5 rides on my Spitfire and it feels tight as a drum. Its a crazy fun bike, I'm stoked.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH