mtbr member

Issue with new style Fox CTD bushing/reducer hardware

Just wanted to post up an issue that I had with my 2013 spitfire which I received in February. Ironically, it had to do with bushings although just the ones on the Fox CTD shock mounting hardware.

My frame has been ridden about 6-8 weeks and has been ridden a good bit, perhaps 3-400 miles with lots of rough mountain trails, jumps, etc in the mix. I then noticed a slight amount of vertical play when doing the infamous "seat lift" test. Laterally the bike was as solid as ever. I checked all the pivot hardware and it was good. Finally I was able to localize the play to the rear shock mount. After talking with Jon, he told me that there were no known hardware tolerance issues and recommended talking to Fox. I called Fox and they were very helpful and agreed that it was worth trying to replace the bushings/spacers to see if that would help. They had a new set of front/rear bushings/spacers to my door in 48 hours, no charge. After installing the new hardware the play is gone. I did notice one difference between the original and new hardware (see picture). Basically the original sleeve that runs through the shock eyelet after the bushings have been placed is made of steel while the new one is made of plastic. Not sure if this was a running change or what.

I've included a picture to show the difference. To avoid any confusion, the black plastic one pictured is shorter since it's for the front of the shock (rear one is already installed) and the old steel one still has one of the reducers and its O-ring on it.

Anyhow, just wanted to let people know about that in case they experienced something similar. Props to Fox for their speedy, helpful service!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue with new style Fox CTD bushing/reducer hardware-photo.jpg