unrooted

Hose Shortening Req'd for XL Prime???

I'm getting my XL prime frame in the mail today!!!

I am currently riding an xl Transition Transam29 w/avid elixer cr brakes, a friend of mine said he's never been able to use the same hose on a hardtail as a FS frame.

I just ordered a set of XT brakes, how much do you think I"ll have to shorten the hoses? Can it be done without the bleed kit?

Is a bleed kit even required? I watched the Pinkbike video and they didn't use any of the items in the kit, except mineral oil.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Is a bleed kit even required? I watched the Pinkbike video and they didn't use any of the items in the kit, except mineral oil.
    You can often get away with not bleeding, if you are VERY careful to not squeeze the levers or move the pads while cutting the hose and re-inserting the barb & olive.

On an XL I'd be surprised if you had to cut them.... (what would I know, riding a medium!)

CP
    I had to shorten the hoses with new in box XT brakes when I built up my XL Prime.
    This link helped even though the brakes are newer than the ones shown in the pdf.http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...20Trimming.pdf

MTB B'dos
    Where did you get the XTs from and did they list the hose lengths? I got mine from CRC and they came at the max length I've seen for XTs, 1000mm front and 1700 rear and I had to shorten mine about 3" on the front and 2-2.5" for the rear on my XL Prime. I didn't bleed mine after shortening the hose and they've worked fine, but I do use Hopes method when reinserting the hose and gently squeeze the lever until I see fluid start to appear/coming out the reservoir and then push the hose in, think it helps not get any air back in the system.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Where did you get the XTs from and did they list the hose lengths? I got mine from CRC and they came at the max length I've seen for XTs, 1000mm front and 1700 rear and I had to shorten mine about 3" on the front and 2-2.5" for the rear on my XL Prime. I didn't bleed mine after shortening the hose and they've worked fine, but I do use Hopes method when reinserting the hose and gently squeeze the lever until I see fluid start to appear/coming out the reservoir and then push the hose in, think it helps not get any air back in the system.
    Lynx,

What width handlebar do you have? I'll probably just run extra long hoses until I get my new handlebar, stem and bleed kit.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

MTB B'dos
    785mm on a now 60mm stem, was running a 70mm stem when I set them up. If you're going to be running a wider/narrower bar and/or shorter/longer stem, then it's best to wait and set the length with the new parts. You should be fine with them stock length if like mine they're the full length hoses, just be a bit "baggy", if they're shorter you may not even need to cut them. Measured them for you, Front=830mm/ Rear=1480mm. Pic attached.
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Lynx,

What width handlebar do you have? I'll probably just run extra long hoses until I get my new handlebar, stem and bleed kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hose Shortening Req'd for XL Prime???-dsc_4751.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics