Sunshine & Slippery Trail

High Volume Can On Spitfire

Hey there. Just want to see whether others have tried this, and hopefully get Keith or someone elses experienced advice on it.

Last week I blew my Monarch shock on my Spitty. As a result of being on a riding trip, I searched out a loaner shock and ended up with a high volume Rockshox Ario shock on the bike. It felt better in the initial travel and on small bumps and I didn't seem to bottom it out.

I am now looking at getting a new Monarch shock and am curious whether I should get a high volume can, or if any of the Banshee folks (or anyone else) have any recommendations. I am also considering upgrading to the Monarch Plus. Does anyone have any experience with this shock on the Spitfire?

I don't want too lose to much pedaling efficiency but I would really like to improve the small bump feel. My old Monarch was a 2010, which I also realize was known for requiring more force to get it going in the early stages of compression—a factor that may have played with the feel of mine, though I did have it custom tuned, so not sure that was still relevant with my shock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've not tried the large volume rockshox options, but the large volume Fox I tried were not progressive enough for the spitfire and bottomed out way too easily.

A more progressive shock (smaller volume) should result in better small bump sensitivity and more ramp up for same sag as a large volume option would do...

Have you considered sending you shock to Push? I know that people tend to have great results taking this route.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I had a 2011 monarch rt3 lo volume on mine.
    To keep it up in the travel so it would climb nicely, the pressure needed would never let me use full travel. I think a high volume monarch would be great as you could flick on the pedal platform for climbs and open it up for descents. if it turns out to be too linear you can add volume reducing shims but you can't make a lo volume can bigger..

mtbr member
    Oh yes. I have a PUSH Monarch RT-AM and they recommend the high volume can for the Spitty (as long as you're under 200 lbs). That plus RWC's needle bearings in the rear shock eyelet and my shock feels every bit as good as a coil which is shocking to me (no pun intended ). If you go that route, you HAVE to set your sag at no less than 25% (which works perfect as any more and ground clearance becomes a real issue anyway). I do not bottom out on regular trail rides and use most of the travel (all but about 1/4"). Having said that, I DO bottom out on jump/light FR trails so it really depends on how aggro of a rider you are. Rock Shox has just introduced canister shims like what Fox has done so now you can fine-tune the ramp-up. PUSH is putting in a bottom-out bumper in mine along with one small shim and sending me two more to fine-tune. I can't say enough good about the PUSH built Monarchs - definitely go that route and tell them I sent ya!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Thanks for the great info guys! Looks like I will try the high volune option. I am guessing that due to the dual flow and internal adjustability of the high speed compression and rebound, that this is what allows this shock to work where the high volume Fox failed for Keith?

I wont be sending it to Push as I have my local guy that looks after me works for SRAM, and really knows how to set it up sweet. It's local, easy and he is good! I was just curious and thanks to GMan's experience I know I'll be sweet now.

Out of curiosity, what is the leverage ratio on the Spitfire, Keith? Also, has anyone tried the Monarch Plus on the Spitfire?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Overall leverage ratio on the Spitfire is 2.5:1 but it is the shape of the leverage curve that is the important thing really.

Sounds like the large volume fox must be significantly less progressive than large volume rockshox, on the fox at 25% sag I would bottom out harshly off a 2 foot drop.

Before pulling rigger on monarch plus, you should check frame fit compatibility... you may have issues on smaller frame sizes due to the low top tube.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I also have a Pushed Monarch RT-AM on the Spitfire and it is a huge improvement over the stock Fox RP23. The first tune Push sent me had the small air canister and even that would bottom out on two foot drops to flat with 25% sag (I weigh 165lbs). I sent it back and they replaced the small canister with a large can with a bottom out bumper. The bottom out bumper is sizable and takes a significant amount of volume. It may not even fit in the small air canister and it would most likely make the small canister too progressive. On top of that, you get the ramp up of the elastomer of the bottom out bumper.

If you are going for a stock Monarch RT or RT3, I would strongly echo Keith's suggestion to go for a small air can. The big air canister is just going to blow though the travel all the time unless the shock is way over damped.

Thanks again guys. Great call on the frame compatibility Keith, didn't even think of that—I will check it before moving on. I am running a large and was assuming there would be no issues.

As for the 'stock' shock, it wont be that. I will have it shimmed for the needs and will likely end up with a few adjustments as I go in order to get the trail manners I am after. The bottom out bumper sounds like a great idea to though!

Now I just have to wait for my suspension guru to get back to town.