mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Which headset for Paradox?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what headset do I need for the new v2 frame? I'm not looking to adjust the hta, just a standard issue headset. There are way too many choices ...

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cane Creek's website has a "Headset Fit Finder" tool that tells you exactly what type of headset you need. It looks like the Paradox V2 uses a ZeroStack headset w/ 44mm top (SHIS:ZS44) and 56mm bottom (SHIS:ZS56/40).

Here's some Cane Creek and Chris King headsets that will work (part #'s indicated are for black headsets):

Cane Creek 40:
    40.ZS44 Short Cover Top (P/N: BAA0080K)
    40.ZS56 Bottom (P/N: BAA0090K) --OR-- 40.ZS56 Conversion Bottom (P/N: BAA0089K)

Cane Creek 110:
    110.ZS44 Short Cover Top (P/N: BAA0151K)
    110.ZS56 Bottom (BAA0157K) --OR-- 110.ZS56 Conversion Bottom (P/N: BAA0156K)

Chris King InSet 2 (P/N: FB0054)

For the Cane Creek headsets, use the regular bottom cups for tapered steerers and the Conversion Bottom cups for straight 1 1/8" steerers.

The Chris King InSet 2 is set up to work with tapered steerers (it's a complete headset with upper and lower cups included). For straight 1 1/8" steerers, use the 1.5" > 1 1 /8" Devo baseplate (P/N: PHS626)

Hope this helps,

Win

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsWin View Post
    Cane Creek's website has a "Headset Fit Finder" tool that tells you exactly what type of headset you need. It looks like the Paradox V2 uses a ZeroStack headset w/ 44mm top (SHIS:ZS44) and 56mm bottom (SHIS:ZS56/40).

Here's some Cane Creek and Chris King headsets that will work (part #'s indicated are for black headsets):

Cane Creek 40:
    40.ZS56 Bottom (P/N: BAA0090K) --OR-- 40.ZS56 Conversion Bottom (P/N: BAA0089K)

Cane Creek 110:
    110.ZS56 Bottom (BAA0157K) --OR-- 110.ZS56 Conversion Bottom (P/N: BAA0156K)

Chris King InSet 2 (P/N: FB0054)

For the Cane Creek headsets, use the regular bottom cups for tapered steerers and the Conversion Bottom cups for straight 1 1/8" steerers.

The Chris King InSet 2 is set up to work with tapered steerers (it's a complete headset with upper and lower cups included). For straight 1 1/8" steerers, use the 1.5" > 1 1 /8" Devo baseplate (P/N: PHS626)

Hope this helps,

Win

Thank you for taking the time! Much appreciated!

Prime
    I usually ride the Cane Creek 100 series, and they are really good stuff. The 110 like you're looking at is going into my Prime build. Gooder stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yup, just make sure it is an inset upper and external lower cup and you'll be good to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowfreq13 View Post
    Yup, just make sure it is an inset upper and external lower cup and you'll be good to go.
    You know what? Lowfreq13 may be right. Banshee indicates on their Blogger page (banshee bikes industry insider: Paradox) that the bottom cup is a traditional (49.6mm). Also, the pics Banshee has on their new website (Paradox | Banshee Bikes: DH Race, Freeride, All Mountain, Trail, Slopestyle, DJ/Street/4x, Aggressive Trail, Cross Country) seem to show an external bottom cup. If that's the case, then Cane Creek's tool is dead wrong.

Here's the thing: because Banshee sometimes has conflicting information on their website and their Blogger page, I definitely recommend e-mailing Banshee (info@bansheebikes.com) and getting a definitive answer from them. There are a couple of people on this forum who have already built up a Paradox V2, so you could also confirm with them.

Good luck,

Win

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Let me give big props to Dennis at Banshee. We emailed back and forth for a few days while I was hammering out the details on my Paradox V2 build. Dennis confirmed the need for a mixed tapered headset. My build should be finished this week.

Gonna be grinning ear to ear. Kinda already am...

Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm afraid te cane creek fit finder is not correct, I will contact them and have them sort that.

The Paradox V2 Headdeatube spec is:

Tapered between 1.125" ZS top (44.0mm diameter) to 1.5" traditional bottom (49.61mm diameter)
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Keith.

TurtleGerl, here's the correct info on the Cane Creek and Chris King headsets that will work with the Paradox V2 (part #'s indicated are for black headsets):

Cane Creek 40:
    40.EC49 Bottom (P/N: BAA0091K) --OR-- 40.EC49 Conversion Bottom (P/N: BAA0207K)

Cane Creek 110:
    110.EC49 Bottom (BAA0162K) --OR-- 110.EC49 Conversion Bottom (P/N: BAA0161K)

Chris King InSet 3 (P/N: FB0046)

The Chris King InSet 3 is set up to work with tapered steerers (it's a complete headset with upper and lower cups included). For straight 1 1/8" steerers, use the 1.5" > 1 1 /8" Devo baseplate (P/N: PHS626). Aspire Velotech (AVT - Aspire VeloTech - Chris King World's Largest Dealer) lets you switch out the baseplate at no additional charge.

Best of luck with your build,

Win

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks guys!

We had a mix up on the frame that I ordered from Bike Bling and I had to send the first one back. They gave me a good deal on a headset and even installed it for me. Great customer service from Bike Bling!

I just got it today. The raw frame with red Chris King headset looks awesome. It's gonna have some more red bits, a white fox fork, and just one gear. I'll post some pics when I get it built up. Super excited!

It was the Chris King In Set by the way.

MTB B'dos
    You know, if things are really that tight for you we can all chip in a little bit so you can get some gears on that thing
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl View Post
    Thanks guys!

I just got it today. The raw frame with red Chris King headset looks awesome. It's gonna have some more red bits, a white fox fork, and just one gear. I'll post some pics when I get it built up. Super excited!

It was the Chris King In Set by the way.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Here's a pic of the Red Mixed Tapered Chris King on my paradox V2.

Cheers!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which headset for Paradox?-dsc_1367.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Very nice.

Out of curiosity, could you please outline your reasons for choosing to run a load of headset spacers and a flat bar over less spacers and a riser bar?
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

MTB B'dos
    Looks sweet, need to post up a thread with pics of what I'm expecting is a very nicely blinged out black/red V2
    Was also wondering how come so much spacers? Have you had time to ride it enough that this is the final setup or is it fairly new and you're still deciding on bar height? Another thought, want to keep the steerer as long as possible for options down the road

Here's a pic of the Red Mixed Tapered Chris King on my paradox V2.

Cheers!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Very nice.

Out of curiosity, could you please outline your reasons for choosing to run a load of headset spacers and a flat bar over less spacers and a riser bar?
    [EDITED] Saw the full photo in the P'dox Updated thread and exactly as I thought, trying out bar height, good plan

Quote Originally Posted by Lowfreq13
    Completed!!! Grin.

There were a few minor changes to the build. The Fox is the newer 2013 CTD with Trail Adjust model. I went with an X0 FD. Oh, EC70 XC Wide Bars. Not sure about the Carbon, but, truthfully, I don't see any big drops coming my way. They should be good. I need to move the stem down. I get one more cut on the steerer tube from my LBS, so I'm gonna try different heights.

This bike climbs like a beast. Very Pleased.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yup. Moving it down today. Solid!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm loving the raw with red bits combo.

The stinger worked out pretty sweet for single speed. I haven't tried it out yet though. Waiting for my fork that's supposed to be here friday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    You know, if things are really that tight for you we can all chip in a little bit so you can get some gears on that thing

LOL! I've never had a single speed or a 29er before. We'll see how this goes ...

If you want to chip in I can probably find something to spend the money on.

MTB B'dos
    Well good luck with that, but remember that it's about having fun and if you're not enjoying it SS, then throw some damn gears on that thing as it's a boat load of fun bike.
    LOL! I've never had a single speed or a 29er before. We'll see how this goes ...

If you want to chip in I can probably find something to spend the money on.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

local trails rider
    The Stinger should be good. I have one on my Strange Chromag and the only issue was when my tangle of bikes fell in the store room and it bent just enough that I spent a day looking for the strange sound...

I'm not convinced by half link chains, though. They tend to stretch because of all the bent plates.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    The Stinger should be good. I have one on my Strange Chromag and the only issue was when my tangle of bikes fell in the store room and it bent just enough that I spent a day looking for the strange sound...

I'm not convinced by half link chains, though. They tend to stretch because of all the bent plates.
    Glad to hear a good review on the Stinger. I love how it looks rather than a traditional chain tensioner. I've heard mixed reviews on the half link chains. Some say different brands do better than others. We'll see. It sure made it easy to get set up though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The Raw Frame looks Sweet!!!

mtbr member
    agreed, as well as the black one.

The Raw Frame looks Sweet!!!
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Oh, yeah... That black one is pretty dang sweet as well.

Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    I'm loving the raw with red bits combo.

The stinger worked out pretty sweet for single speed. I haven't tried it out yet though. Waiting for my fork that's supposed to be here friday.

Wht pedals are these?
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned