mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Go Figure! I Buy A Prime....Everyone Sells Theirs and Buys A Phantom.

There is no new Prime stoke any more, and it makes me mad.

What are all the people who bought the used Primes from all the Phantom sellouts doing with their bikes?

Buying a new bike that has just become old news is no fun on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well, they still have sort of the same geometry, so if the Prime feels ~like the Phantom, it must be totally awesome for the pure AM stuff where you want more rear travel.

I think the Phantom fills a hole in a different way than the Prime. There is a load of burly 29:ers with slack angles, but only a few "trailbikes" with short travel and slack angles, like the Phantom.

Different needs, different bikes. My guess is that many, many riders are "overbiked". They bought AM/enduro bikes because there was nothing else to choose if they didn't want a XC bike. Now things are changing.

mtbr member
    I'll gladly buy a Flo Yellow Prime XL if anyone is selling.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I know how you feel. I bought a new Yeti SB95a in June and they discontinue it. Now they only talk about the next new SB5 and 6. WTFE!
    I've never owned a Banshee but have admired them for some time,( as well as a few others) and still dig looking at the Prime. It's a killer bike!! So just look at it like you have a solid ride that begs to be ridden hard. Enjoy it and shoot some Go-Pro of you putting that beast through its paces for the rest of us to enjoy...I realized I can never keep up with the next latest and greatest bike every year. So ride the one ya brung;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got a fantastic deal on the frame, and built it up myself. I love the bike, it has done everything I have asked. I am brand new to FS bikes, and tuning the fork and shock have been fun.

I am not a typical Prime owner. I bought the Prime based on the stiffness of the frame, not for its ability to hammer down knarly hills. I am 6'2" and 235 lbs, and wanted a bike that could be setup correctly without having suspension settings that would be at the upper limits of design intent.

I am sure a lot of Prime owners would look at my trails, and think WTF. Why you using a prime on XC type trails? No big drops, no big down hills, but enough punchy climbs and 3-12" rocks and roots that I wanted somthing to climb and pedal well. I just wanted a frame that didn't twist and flex when I am hammering around corners and up hills.

I have my Pike setup with a little more XC performance in mind, as well as the CCDB Coil rear shock. I am sure if I took it bombing down crazy hills, my setup would be all wrong. But for me, it works.

I asked Keith what he thought of my intended use based on my size, and he still thought a Prime would be better suited for my size, compared to the Phantom.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Well, my Prime isn't going anywhere; it's pretty much the perfect bike for my riding style (or lack thereof) and local terrain. It's also about the most versatile bike I can imagine- mines seen 6k' climbing days and bike park days.

I'd love a phantom too. Can't have too many awesome bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Fall fun!