mtbr member

Smile Fork choice and rear hub sizing for Rune

My new Rune frame is in the mail, and I'm curious what forks people have put on? Im thinking 36 160 Float FitRLC or Talas Fit RLC.

Also for the rear wheel the spacing is 10 x 135, what hubs are you putting on in the rear. any one doing 12 x 135 and bringing it down to 10?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A Fox 36 would be a great choice for the bike, depending on how you are going to use it, I might recommend a Van. I have a coil fork and shock and love it. Between the Float and Talas, I have had both and prefer the Float for two reasons. I think it is more plush, and I quit using the travel adjust after about a month on the Talas because I didn't notice it helping me climb.

As for Hubs, I have Hadley's set up as a 10X135 with a thru axle adapter that works with QR drop outs. I am very happy with it, feels super stiff laterally.

mtbr member
    I'm running a lyrik RC2DH coil at 170mm and love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have the 160 Talas Fit RLC on mine...in hindsight, I'd have gone with the Float (and was going to but they were a month out on floats when I set up my bike). I never use the travel adjust because I don't like the feel of the geometry when I do. But, if this is something that you commonly use and enjoy, then my opinion doesn't hold much ground and go with the talas.

mtbr member
    So it seems to be a common theme that ive heard not only from this site is that if people get the talas they never use the travel adjust. I thought climbing would be easier, looks like I should give the float some moe attention. Curious though what type if riding are you all doin?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    So it seems to be a common theme that ive heard not only from this site is that if people get the talas they never use the travel adjust. I thought climbing would be easier, looks like I should give the float some moe attention.
    travel adjust fork on a rune

i haven't tried a ta fork on my rune, i haven't felt the need to

mtbr member
    May 2009
    on long alpine ascents like 4000 vertical feet and more, i really like to TA on my lyrik... in the end, it is just a matter of taste and preference... i don't feel that the u-turn on the lyrik is giving me any disadvantage...
    don't go too long with the fork, or the bb will end up a little high... and i'd consider an angleset, it is so worth it...
    @ hub, i run a 10mm QR axle (not standard QR but 10mm thru hub plus 10mm axle) and it works just fine... hope funbolts or something similar would also be nice... standard hubs should also work just fine...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    As for the type of riding that I do, it's a mix of everything (from buff singletrack to techy stuff to some jump trails and what not). I live in Utah so you have to go up everywhere to get your downhill and I just don't like the feel of the travel adjust. Even on fireroads (like puke hill on the crest if you've been out here) I just don't really have the need for it. The rune climbs fine without it. But again, it's whatever your preference is. Is there anyway you can try a talas out prior?