mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Elka vs DHX 5 - Does Elka deserve another chance??

So I pulled my Elka of my Rune this weekend and threw a DHX Air 5 I had kicking around my garage on.

The reason I did this is because as soon as I stood up to pedal the Elka Pogo'd horribly and when I cranked the low speed to stop the pogo it was pretty harsh when descending.

I've ridden Fox from the day I started riding with only short stint's with and other brands. So when I setup a shock I tend to treat it the same way I do every fox I've ever owned.

So I'm I blinded by Fox? should I give the Elka a chance and keep trying to tune it, or is it a lost cause that can't live up to it competition.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Have you tried going up 50lbs in spring rate? That might allow you to get rid of some of the pogo effect, without relying on compression damping. You could also try running more LSC, but backing off the high speed comp 2-3 clicks ( which is really more of a "blow off") to get more platform without giving up DH performance. You may get a clunk if the HSC is set too low in relation to the LSC.

IMO the dhx air does pedal better- especially out of the saddle. Could be what you are noticing here is possibly that the rune was designed primarily for an air shock. My take, it seems like the rune has a high initial leverage ratio to overcome stiction typical of air shocks. With a coil, that makes the first part of the travel very supple, but also makes for some extra bob & chain stretch when standing. Its a trade off that's worth it for me, I just try to stay seated when climbing.

Paste eater
    Nah, give it up. I'll give you 50 bucks for it. Hows that sound?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Resnick View Post
    So I pulled my Elka of my Rune this weekend and threw a DHX Air 5 I had kicking around my garage on.

The reason I did this is because as soon as I stood up to pedal the Elka Pogo'd horribly and when I cranked the low speed to stop the pogo it was pretty harsh when descending.

I've ridden Fox from the day I started riding with only short stint's with and other brands. So when I setup a shock I tend to treat it the same way I do every fox I've ever owned.

So I'm I blinded by Fox? should I give the Elka a chance and keep trying to tune it, or is it a lost cause that can't live up to it competition.
    How long have you spent tuning the shock? I ask because, while yes my Rune does bob a bit with the Elka but not so much that it is a hindrance. IMOP The DHX air is not a good trade off for the Elka. My bike came stock with the DHXA and it is a crappy shock. Truthfully the DHXA hasn't been a good shock since fox introduced it. The DHXA has no mid stroke support. It would squat into its travel far too much during hard technical climbing. Ill take the little bit of bob from the Elka.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    With a coil, that makes the first part of the travel very supple, but also makes for some extra bob & chain stretch when standing. Its a trade off that's worth it for me, I just try to stay seated when climbing.
    I think that's why i've stuck with the DHX Air. I ride 1x9, live in Moab and don't have another bike with more gears. Standing is 100% needed often. My concern is it would become a little tiresome as a daily driver...

What's the weight difference anyhow?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Stage 5 200x57 shock body is 430g, add spring weight to that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I think that's why i've stuck with the DHX Air. I ride 1x9, live in Moab and don't have another bike with more gears. Standing is 100% needed often. My concern is it would become a little tiresome as a daily driver...

What's the weight difference anyhow?
    I have no trouble climbing with the Elka. Standing or sitting and spinning. I find that the suppleness aides in climbing because it allows the rear tire to dig in and find traction that a firmer pedaling shock wouldn't. YMMV. As far as weight goes, yes it does add weight but my Rune is 33.2 LBS. Respectable. And that is running 1X10. Personally I think the elka would be a fine shock for Moab.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Pros & Cons! I love my Elka, but if I was using my rune for more trail riding, I might prefer an air shock. I ran the Elka on the prime for a few rides, and I much prefer the Rp23 on that frame.

One thing I like about the Rune is it has a bit of a dual personality, it generally feels a lot more trail-oriented with an air shock and a lot more FR with a coil.

Weights of interest….
    700g Elka with Ti Spring
    443g DHX air
    213g RP23

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Pros & Cons! I love my Elka, but if I was using my rune for more trail riding, I might prefer an air shock. I ran the Elka on the prime for a few rides, and I much prefer the Rp23 on that frame.

One thing I like about the Rune is it has a bit of a dual personality, it generally feels a lot more trail-oriented with an air shock and a lot more FR with a coil.

Weights of interest….
    700g Elka with Ti Spring
    443g DHX air
    213g RP23
    I'm actually interested getting one of those Monarch Plus' from Push for longer days in the saddle. I just don't like the DHXA. POS IMOP. Id also like to see how well a DB air would work on this frame.

Paste eater
    I used to have a rocco TST on my motolite wich was AWESOME. That and I could flip the propedal. I almost never use any fork on-the-fly adjustments, but being able to flip a switch in the back and then blow it wide open for the downs works well in a place like Moab.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    For the prime, I picked up an old RP23 and sent off to Push.
    Interesting that PUSH prefers to work on the older, pre BV Rp23s. They’re not currently working on DHX airs or newer kashima fox stuff.
    They basically gut the shock & replace the internals, and it’ll be about $300 total cost with the race tune and big hit kit, pretty reasonable for a fully custom shock!
    Might get it back tonight.....

mtbr member
    I think the Elka is a great shock for a Rune - takes some trial and error to set it up though - I ended up going up two spring weights on what was recommended and backing the preload way off as well....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    I'm actually interested getting one of those Monarch Plus' from Push for longer days in the saddle.
    this is what i did, but my RS is not a pushed. its great to have the option. i think the elka climbs pretty decent but i definitely notice it esp on epics. the elka really shines on sustained long fast tech descents.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    hope i can get you guys impressions on the dbair in the rune...

i rode with the dhx air for nearly 3 years now, and with modifications (plasticshims in outer airchamber, different shimstack) it worked fine BUT i am getting sick of rebuilding it (because the dhxa is sucking air into the damping oil...)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Then you have faulty IFP/rebound/propedal O ring? shouldnt suck air into the damping oil if seals are ok..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    imho it is a design flaw... there are so many discussions about this dhx air issue on the web...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I decided to keep it for now. I'm going to throw a 500 weight spring on it and tinker with it. I like coil sus personally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    it's probably the rebound damping on the elka that is making it feel bouncy.

instead of fox which seems to have more low speed (when shock is near full extension) rebound to give a controlled feel, elkas have a two stage system where the rebound is quite fast near the top of the stroke and slows down on deep stroke hits. I love the shock on my DH bike, but I don't know if I would have liked it when I had my Rune. I'll chime in and say my Manitou ISX-6 was awesome though.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    short notice for the fox rc4 in the rune---- after a quick setup this weekend, it is absolutely inconspicuous - which is a good thing... is really like it a lot and wondered why i haven't made this move earlier...
    my rune is build with a lyrik u-turn tuned to 170mm and 1x9 setup - weights about 33 pounds now which is a good weight for a 6"+ trailbike with coil front/rear and for a 200 pounds guy... still very happy with my rune, and it is going into its 4th season now