mtbr member

Elka Sag Question.

Are there any other Elka owners who find that they are able to achive proper sag with a lower spring rate than what is recomended by Elka. According to Elka I should be using a 450lb coil. I am getting 30 percent sag with a 400lb coil with one full turn of preload. I imagine it would only take another turn of preload to get 25 percent if I wanted. Is this normal? This is with no LS or HS dialed in. This is my first coil shock so I am not quite sure.

mtbr member
    Spring rates can vary wildly based on the quality of the spring so seeing some variance isn't uncommon. One thing is for certain tho... if you're using your bike for FR then ALWAYS err towards the stiffer spring from my experience. I would go with the Elka recommendation if it were me.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Gmans right.
    Another thing to consider is that the spring rate also affects rebound (since it;s the spring pushing against the damping to get the shock back to full extension) and that your compression damping can affect your sag, at least when you're riding. Put another way; if you go with a lighter spring, you may end up needing to run more compression damping to prevent bottoming out on big hits- not ideal.

IME you're always better off to go heavier on the spring and run less damping and preload, this will get you better small bump compliance since the shock won't be choked up.

FWIW I run a #450 spring and weigh 175lbs w/o gear... I'm able to run very little compression damping and preload...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Unlike Fox, Elka tests all of their springs to make sure they are exactly the rate they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Spring rates can vary wildly based on the quality of the spring so seeing some variance isn't uncommon. Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks. I picked up the shock second hand (from another Rune owner) and it came with a 400lb RCS Titanium spring. I picked up a 450lb Manitou steel coil so Ill probably end up running that until I can sell the titanium spring and get another one in 450lb trim. I noticed in my parking lot test it felt a little harsh (like it was ramping up hard) just bouncing up and down. Less pre load sounds like the ticket. Anyone in the market for a 400 titanium spring?

Another question. I am right in between spring rates(Im 190 dry and about 200 kitted up) and I am right on the edge for a 500lb spring. According to the chart on Elkas website it says the 450lb spring is for riders 170 to 205 lbs. The 500 spring is for riders 200 and up. Should I go with the stiffer spring? Or dork around with the 450 first and then decide? Coils are cheap so its no big deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am at your weight and also run an Elka with a DSP ti spring. I like my rear nice and plush and The 450lb seems fine for me. I also run only 3clicks of hsc and lsc