Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,049

    Elka: First Time Set-Up

    Well, I finally got myself an Elka. A little horse trading between myself and another forum member here. Anyways, I'm still waiting on my new fork to show up so I thought I would arm myself with any tips on setting up this shock (outside of the online instruction manual) before I go out and flog it next weekend. Any advice? This will be my first coil shock. As I understand it I want to set up the rebound a little fast since it is valved to slow down on larger hits? Any tips on setting up the LS and HS compression damping?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    Well, I finally got myself an Elka. A little horse trading between myself and another forum member here. Anyways, I'm still waiting on my new fork to show up so I thought I would arm myself with any tips on setting up this shock (outside of the online instruction manual) before I go out and flog it next weekend. Any advice? This will be my first coil shock. As I understand it I want to set up the rebound a little fast since it is valved to slow down on larger hits? Any tips on setting up the LS and HS compression damping?
    I would strongly recommend NOT to set the rebound on the fast side until you get comfortable with the feel of the shock. This is especially true with a second hand shock.

    If you don't know what bike this shock was tuned for, it may be a good idea to ask. Compare the shock tune to the one needed for the Rune. If it's substantially different you may find that you want the shock revalved to match the Rune linkage. Give it shot first though, you may like it the way it is.

    I would recommend starting with a bounce test to set the low-speed rebound at a comfortable speed. Leave high-speed compression fully open and close it one click at a time to adjust for compressions in g-outs and bottoming control. Low-speed compression damping can start about 5 clicks in and open or close depending on how firm you like pedaling performance and cornering stability versus small bump compliance.

    Make sure you have about 2 turns of preload set to drive the rebound circuit at the beginning of the stroke.

    Have fun!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    I would strongly recommend NOT to set the rebound on the fast side until you get comfortable with the feel of the shock. This is especially true with a second hand shock.

    If you don't know what bike this shock was tuned for, it may be a good idea to ask. Compare the shock tune to the one needed for the Rune. If it's substantially different you may find that you want the shock revalved to match the Rune linkage. Give it shot first though, you may like it the way it is.

    I would recommend starting with a bounce test to set the low-speed rebound at a comfortable speed. Leave high-speed compression fully open and close it one click at a time to adjust for compressions in g-outs and bottoming control. Low-speed compression damping can start about 5 clicks in and open or close depending on how firm you like pedaling performance and cornering stability versus small bump compliance.

    Make sure you have about 2 turns of preload set to drive the rebound circuit at the beginning of the stroke.

    Have fun!
    Thanks for the info. The shock came off of a Rune (and was tuned for it) so it should be good to go in the tune department. What do you mean "have 2 turns of pre-load set to drive the rebound circuit at the beginning of the stroke"? Isnt the preload mainly for setting the correct sag, in my case about 30 percent or 15.6mm of stroke? Or do I want to run less sag with this shock? Say 25 percent?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nybike1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    Thanks for the info. The shock came off of a Rune (and was tuned for it) so it should be good to go in the tune department. What do you mean "have 2 turns of pre-load set to drive the rebound circuit at the beginning of the stroke"? Isnt the preload mainly for setting the correct sag, in my case about 30 percent or 15.6mm of stroke? Or do I want to run less sag with this shock? Say 25 percent?
    Yes, set the preload for sag but make sure you are running a healthy amount of preload. Without some force to drive the rebound circuit when the shock is almost completely extended, you will open up the rebound damping unnecessarily and compromise the response deeper in the travel.

    At the end of the day, one turn of preload corrensponds to 1mm of shock stroke, which makes a difference of about 3mm of static sag. I ran an Elka shock on a different bike, so take my advice with a grain of salt but I find that as long as static sag is roughly in the right ballpark, there are more important dynamic considerations that drive the amount of preload.

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone with time on an Elka fork cartridge?
    By myarmisonfire in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 01:25 AM
  2. Elka on Endo Anybody?
    By loamranger in forum Knolly
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM
  3. Elka in the UK?
    By mikey74 in forum Banshee Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 08:16 PM
  4. Elka shock on M6 ?
    By Freeride777 in forum Intense
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM
  5. ELKA suspension?
    By jmcclung in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •