Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Discounted replacement?

So I have a 2011 Rune despite my best efforts i am wearing into my frame.

I heard somewhere that there is going to be a discounted replacement to the RuneV2 for current owners.

This true or BS?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'd rather drop a line to one of the banshee guys than ask the forum guys, who can only give you speculations and so on themselves... I am sure the banshee guys will handle your request in a satisfying way

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Keep en eye on the banshee blog over the next few weeks... we are just trying to finalize details with dealers and distributors to keep everyone happy.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice to hear

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Keep en eye on the banshee blog over the next few weeks... we are just trying to finalize details with dealers and distributors to keep everyone happy.
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye out. I apparently have the alignment issue too. Are you guys using the same manufacturer for this run?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Same manufacturer, but we have worked with them extensively over the last year to imporve things; new higher tolerance tooling, QC and manufacturing processes and alignment check proceedures (as well as many other things) in place for the V2 bikes. We are seeing great results on the KS link bikes coming through production now.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    would there be a CCDB air option for this replacement?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The new frames come with new shocks (due to different shock sizes and tunes) and all shock options should be possible (dependant on avaliability)... obviously different prices will apply.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    The new frames come with new shocks (due to different shock sizes and tunes) and all shock options should be possible (dependant on avaliability)... obviously different prices will apply.
    Awesome

Cannonball!
    Woohoo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    same thing for the spitty? (crossing fingers)

mtbr member
    Banshee Blog: Banshee Upgrade Program

I was hoping for more info, but will contact dealer soon to see what the options are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi builttoride,

Is the upgrade program limited to the current frame that I own, Rune V1 to a Rune V2?
    Or can I upgrade to another frame instead, such as the Banshee Legend?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Distributors will be making all decisions about upgrades, so I cannot comment more than to say that the program is designed for like to like bikes.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Anyone get word on your upgrade submission? I submitted mine today online using my 2010 Banshee Rune. Looking forward to hearing back soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I talked to someone at Trident Sports last night and was told they had a large backlog of submissions to respond to, maybe several days worth. I lost my sales receipt, so I can't submit mine until I get a copy from Joyride Cycles. Will be interested in what others are told, especially the prices : )

Also, they told me I could trade Spitfire for either a Rune or another Spitfire. I was worried I would only be able to trade up to another Spitfire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I submited mine through them. You don't even get an email confirmation; just an on-screen confirmation. I am look forward to hearing what they can do for me.

Anyone who hears please post.

mtbr member
    Where are you guys submitting things? I've emailed my distributor as well as the online shop I purchased from but have not had a response...something I'm missing?

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Too little too late. I've had a Spitty frame hanging from the wall for two years that is so badly aligned the rear end doesn't move when you remove the shock. The UK distributor didn't want to know back then, and no longer sell Banshee bikes. A total waste of money and an even bigger disappointment. If only the known issues with these frames had been dealt with at the time.

You live and learn.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If the shop you purchased it from got it from distributor: TridentSports you can go here:

Warranty Claim | Trident Sports

Reference the Discount Program...don't have to take photos of damage or have a value for damage if there isn't anything. You do need to include two photos of the bike and one photo of the serial number.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    @Rlfree

Thanks for the link but that's the US distributor.

I bought it from the UK distributor and as I said, they no longer sell Spitfires. They also were useless in returning calls or answering emails when the frames issues came to light a few months after purchase.

That said, it's hard to blame the distributor. The manufacturer made poor frames and should have dealt with it better at the time. The damage is done and their reputation is tarnished.

Cannonball!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr S View Post
    @Rlfree

Thanks for the link but that's the US distributor.

I bought it from the UK distributor and as I said, they no longer sell Spitfires. They also were useless in returning calls or answering emails when the frames issues came to light a few months after purchase.

That said, it's hard to blame the distributor. The manufacturer made poor frames and should have dealt with it better at the time. The damage is done and their reputation is tarnished.
    Could have sworn that the announcement said that if there was no distributor to contact them directly. Lighten up a little, I'd say that they are making a valid attempt to salvage their reputation.

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    Could have sworn that the announcement said that if there was no distributor to contact them directly. Lighten up a little, I'd say that they are making a valid attempt to salvage their reputation.

Lighten up? Really? Hey, I no longer care what happens. I won't be contacting anyone. I lost too much sleep over this two years ago. I'm simply pointing out that at the time, when it mattered to me, a customer, no one could give a ****.

So what is this deal that you are all getting excited about? Without contacting a local distributor, or Banshee direct, we have no way of knowing. The clue however is 'Discount Scheme' not ' Sorry, we goofed, and all you guys with £1400 wall art can have a replacement frame that is actually fit for purpose this time'.
    In short they want customers to hand over yet more money to get something they should have got in the first place. And how are we to know that these frames are better made? Just because some guy from Banshee has told us that things have been improved? Well he would say that wouldn't he!

I don't want to come across as a jerk here, but I think that anyone about to spend hard earned money that they should do so with eyes wide open. This is after all a consumer review website is it not?

Flogging us frames at trade prices isn't a valid effort to salvage their reputation to me or the other disgruntled Spitfire owners that have posted here over the last couple of years.

Nucking Futs
    so when Freeborn failed to take care of you did you email Banshee directly or leave it at that? sorry to say but first blame a distributor (rightfully so) but if you didn't go any further you're at fault here, not Banshee. their known for taking care of customers one way or the other, but you gotta get in touch with them. they will either force Freeborn to hussle something or handle the matter directly.

they are also offering a FREE new V1.5 frame with the newer axles and wear plates installed if you don't want to pay an up charge. or atleast they were? sure it isn't like a big company like S, T or G but that's part of the game when riding a smaller company. if you can't be patient you're better off with one of their bikes. i'd suggest contacting Keith or Jay directly and see what they can do before throwing in the towel. you won't find a better riding bike easy, that's for sure.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

Cannonball!
    Lost sleep? It's a bicycle, not the space shuttle!

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    Lost sleep? It's a bicycle, not the space shuttle!
    It's a $2000 bicycle pal. If I took $2k off you and fobbed you off with ******** and unreplied emails are you telling me that that you would not be a little pissed off?

Are you connected with Banshee in any way? You seem to be rather pro banshee and anti consumer?

Cannonball!
    Yep, I'm connected, as a Banshee bike customer. I purchased one for $1600, which fell apart. I had to purchase a complete rear triangle for $300+, two sets of pivot axles, and numerous sets of bushings. I am still stoked to be looking at the next generation replacement, hopefully, at a nicely reduced price. The retail purchase price of the last generation Spitfire is nearly $1k less than the competition (e.g.; Nomad, Enduro, Mojo, etc.) I didn't have anywhere near that much into the replacement parts and didn't have one second of lost sleep in the deal. I still believe that the Spitfire revolutionized the modern trail bike and is the best riding trail bike out there (when everything is working properly.) What other brands maintain such an open channel of communication; actively posting on these forums, and promptly and personally returning customer e-mails.
    Last edited by coiler-d; 10-13-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Cannonball!
    Claim sent, now waiting anxiously!

mtbr member
    I am pretty disappointed with Banshee on the discount program. My frame is out of warranty, V.1, and has no frame issues. For that, the discount off msrp is only 12.5%; that said, I have to pay shipping on top of that. Finally, my frame that I have now has very little resale value because brand new rune 2011 frames are selling almost half off msrp. Love my Rune, but I feel that I just bent over and got shafted. Seems like the ones with frame issues got good discounts, but the ones with good frames got penalized for it. I felt a deeper discount is appropriate to compensate for lost resale value.I was really excited to hear that a discount program is available to existing owners but only to be disappointed. I think I'm writing my Rune frame off and get a Knolly Chilcotin instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    But.. you still have perfectly good frame that has no issues?

I don't see the problem here.

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    But.. you still have perfectly good frame that has no issues?

I don't see the problem here.
    There is still that risk; wanted to eliminate that uncertainty by getting a new Rune; to have some peace of mind. But you are right, so far my frame is in good shape and I keep the pivots greased monthly. Cheers.

FM
    mtbr member
    That's basically the situation with my v1 Rune, and I'll happily just keep it. If a frame hasn't hit hit any issues within 2yrs, it's probably got good alignment and a lot of riding left in it with continued maintenance.

TM1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    to be honest, the situation is uncomfortable ...
    I'm a banshee rider for many years.
    I had one of the first Pyres (MK1) out there. the frame was replaced twice !! the first killed 2 front derailleurs before the replacement. then I had to replace the rear triangle for misalignment (all in 2 months).
    but I loved the bike.
    after about 4 years, I replaced it for the Spitfire. Got the best deal in the world from the Banshee guys. An offer I could not refuse.
    Again, I love the bike. but I have to take care of it like a baby. grease every 2 months. replace bushings at least yearly.
    I will not have peace with it because I'll always worry about slope and/or damage to the frame …
    my riding buddies have some good jokes on me and Banshee ...

selling the frame is out of question. I cannot, and I will not sell a frame with these issues (even potentialy).
    I will just have to ride it until it's dead or until I decide to get a new bike and hang the Spity on a wall.
    Now, as much as I love the Banshee brand/guys, I can't see another Banshee frame in my future.
    Not for full price for sure (12.5% off msrp is full price !!).
    If you can buy a 2500$ frame and can sell it for 1000-1200 after 2 years … why would you buy a 1500-1600$ frame that cannot be sold 2nd hand and has to be nursed ?

As I started, I feel very uncomfortable. But the truth is, I cannot put this kind of money on that horse again.

Nucking Futs
    so the solution is pretty simple, swap grease for sharp sand and ride in a few rain storms. snap some quick pics of the damage and you've got yourself a pretty good discount.

in all fairness there are 2 side's of your situation. you've got a decent frame that if maintained propperly could serve you for years. this makes it pretty much impossible for you to feel shafted, cause the product works like described. I feel there wouldn't be much discount offerd to those who only need to do regular maintainence, which isn't very customer friendly but Banshee simply can't cover all bases as such a small company. I fixxed my Spitty the mcgyver way but it seems to work, there is barely any play and the axles look fine after 2 years. would I rather see a new V2 frame for free or dirt-cheap? hell yes. but the fun this frame is giving me each ride keeps me satisfied enough to keep running her till it's death, then upgrade to a newer Spitfire with all possible kinks worked out.

it doesn't talk things right in any way though. I too feel Banshee is neglecting allot of riders who can't or simply won't do this much maintainence to keep riding seeing the pricepoint of these frame's and the underlying desing flaw. they should suck it up, they quoted long time ago price's of under or near 1k US for a V2 frame. either way i'm still riding their frame's with pleasure.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I thought from the info I have seen the owners of v1 frames older then 2 years with out major issue can turn in their frame to get a V2 for 1350. The frame new is 2000$. So is that not a 32% savings?

Goes to 11
    Same Here,
    still waiting for our mutual distributor to come up with a fair offer for our non-resalable frames.
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    I thought from the info I have seen the owners of v1 frames older then 2 years with out major issue can turn in their frame to get a V2 for 1350. The frame new is 2000$. So is that not a 32% savings?
    My rithmitic may be a little rusty but wouldn't that 32% savings just apply if you frame was worth $0 in this case as you have to return it.

If you have a "good" frame, lets put a value of $650 on it which you may or may not get if you sold it privately. Then the savings is $0.

I am just not seeing a monetary benefit here, just that you don't have to try and sell your "good" frame.
    If thats the deal some people may want to sell there frame and get something other than another banshee.

I wonder what they are going to do with all these returned frames?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Oh good point, I never looked at it that way. From what I have heard they are just making the Shops cut out the BB's and send those in, effectively makes the frame useless. Though i guess it might leave a spare rear end for a friend.....

TM1
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nescafe nailed it.
    as I see it, this is not a discount program for customers.
    this is a trade-in offer, mainly for distributors.
    I'm not saying it is not fair. Just that it is not a discount offer for owners.
    Why ? because any high-end 2y old used frame will give you about 500-600$ trade-in "discount" when upgrading.

The problem is that Banshee distributors can't take these frames because they worth nothing.
    So, Banshee did the right thing and is buying old frames from distributors for "fair price" and allowing them to keep customers in house.

Again, it is fair. It is right for banshee. It helps distributors.
    But this is not a discount offer for customers.
    This is recognizing the 0$ value of V1 frames and willing to take responsibility.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    $1350 seems pretty fair, even if they implied it would be lower (less than $1000) early on. I doubt the old frames will sell for anywhere near the "discount" amount. I'm still trying to get a replacement sales receipt from Joyride Cycles, who is not responding to emails or answering the phone, so I may be out either way.

mtbr member
    So the 1.5 spitfire will have the bushing problem solved AND the loose axle/pivot problems solve right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    So the 1.5 spitfire will have the bushing problem solved AND the loose axle/pivot problems solve right?
    The v1.5 Spitfire is the same as the V1 but with the Keronite coated pivot axles and wear washers pre-installed. As far as I am concerned, this does not fix any issues, but may delay the onset of issues.

The v2 Spitfire (which is not yet available but should be soon) is totally redesigned in every way regarding the suspension layout and pivot hardware and should solve all of the previous problems. It no longer uses bushings. This is what people are talking about upgrading to.

Nucking Futs
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    The v2 Spitfire (which is not yet available but should be soon) is totally redesigned in every way regarding the suspension layout and pivot hardware and should solve all of the previous problems. It no longer uses bushings. This is what people are talking about upgrading to.
    this is partially why i'm holding out to jump right on. i've had major issues with my Scythe regarding bearing fit tollerance causing the drive side main pivot bearing to seize up completly after i've pressed a new bearing in. this is just as, if not more crucial than the old bushing design if other crucial frame tollerances aren't close enough. it forces the axle to rotate on the bearing race which is not good, worst case problem with bearings.

the design might work, but there are so many factors for it to perform like designed. I dare to put $$$ down 90% of ALL bushing problems began with overtightend pivots out of the factory, and other strange things workers do while putting frames together. my spitty came with 1 totally fubard bushing who someone deeply scratched with a screwdriver multiple times. Banshee should really keep a good eye out on the assembly line.

if the V1.5 still has frame misalignment issues and overtightned pivots the wear washers will live a hellish existance and only delays the underlying problem if the owner/ bike shop doesn't counter them as much as possible. hopefully the V2 has a solid design, i'll jump on a V3 by the time I retire my V1.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck View Post
    I dare to put $$$ down 90% of ALL bushing problems began with overtightend pivots out of the factory
    I concur. Logical conclusion since many of the older bushing frames (like mine) are still going strong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck View Post
    the design might work, but there are so many factors for it to perform like designed. I dare to put $$$ down 90% of ALL bushing problems began with overtightend pivots out of the factory, and other strange things workers do while putting frames together. my spitty came with 1 totally fubard bushing who someone deeply scratched with a screwdriver multiple times. Banshee should really keep a good eye out on the assembly line.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I concur. Logical conclusion since many of the older bushing frames (like mine) are still going strong.
    I agree as well, but I still maintain that any pivot system that can be overtightened is flawed by design. There must be a way to tighten everything snug without putting too much side load on the bushing or bearing, or pinching them together. Otherwise there will always be assembly issues, whether they are done at the factory or by the end user.

I have yet to see a KS link bike in person, but I believe the pivot system is somewhat similar to my Legend and is done properly. So as long as there aren't tolerance issues during manufacturing of the frames, the V2 Spitfire and Rune should be solid.

FM
    mtbr member
    I agree as well, but I still maintain that any pivot system that can be overtightened is flawed by design.
    Put shimano or campagnolo cup&cone loose-ball hubs through your criteria... they wouldn't pass. yet many of those are going strong with happy owners.

There's "idiot proof" and "flawed". And for the record, I have my idiot moments too... we all do. Certainly a great design is "idiot proof" (and very rare)
    There's a big grey area between "idiot proof" and "flawed" and this is where 98% of bike components live. This ends up being totally subjective so it's not really worth debating.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree as well, but I still maintain that any pivot system that can be overtightened is flawed by design. There must be a way to tighten everything snug without putting too much side load on the bushing or bearing, or pinching them together. Otherwise there will always be assembly issues, whether they are done at the factory or by the end user.

I have yet to see a KS link bike in person, but I believe the pivot system is somewhat similar to my Legend and is done properly. So as long as there aren't tolerance issues during manufacturing of the frames, the V2 Spitfire and Rune should be solid.
    It is not idiot proof, because idiots break 5 meter blocks of steel.

That being said, you 'can't overtighten' KS links, the linkages are tightened against bearing inner race so if one goobers it, you will break either bolts, round it off, break your allen key or pull out threads from the axle.

mtbr member
    Well,Allthough my bike is still is good condition and doesnt give problems with the bushings or pivots I wanted to know what the deal was i can get at an european Banshee Dealer.
    So i contacted Everyday26 Distribution - Twenty6 Products*-*Home and this is what they told me:

the price for the Rune V2 normally is 1799€ with Fox CTD. The Upgrade price for a new Rune V2 is 1400€ including Fox Float CTD shock.
    The only thing you have to do is to send a picture of your frame number.

Best regards
    Bernhard

--
    everyday26

If i want the frame without shock i get another € 220 discount.
    The deal is valid till 31-12-2012.
    I get a cheaper frame,dealer earns some money and Banshee has another bike rolling around.Everybody happy.
    That said i won't be taking the deal because my Rune V1 has no problems yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    See I kind of like that deal better then what we are being offered. 1799€ is $2322 Canadian and 1400€ is $1800 So you are getting a $500 discount and you get your old frame to sell. As a Canadian who lives in the same province as the bikes are built I get a $750 discount but I have to return my old frame. So a European buyer can potentially sell his frame for say $650 and have a total of $1150 off the price and I have a max potential for $750.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate what Kieth and Jay are doing but it was placed on the forum before that the price would be around $1000 and at that price I think it is easier to swallow trading in your frame to be destroyed. But the price ended up being $1350 and that is what? Close to a 30% increase above $1000. I know this issue lies more with Trident then Banshee but this is a situation were I think Banshee should step in and tell Trident what they want. The more of us that pick up these new frames and start raving about them the more that people are going to want them and sales should go up on the full price frames.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast