Thread: Cracks.........

Code Burr

Cracks.........

Ive been chasing down a nasty squeek for a couple weeks. Took the bike apart and of course the bushings were worn out. So I took the rear triangle off and apart to clean it. Thats when I noticed this little guy. And my warranty just expired, I wonder how much a new rear triangle will be....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracks.........-photo_a20eb4be-5039-9348-a743-62e799cfa59c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Should say little guy's. Looks like you got it on both sides. There customer service is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What frame is that?

Code Burr
    2010 spitfire

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Interesting. Mine has been creaking and squeaking a lot lately as well, but I figured it was just the pedal or bottom bracket threads. Going to go check that area out tonight.

Should be still good to ride though right? lol

mtbr member
    Is it actually a cracked frame or just a crack in the paint? I only ask as I know there paint is pretty thick and that "looks" like it might just be paint. Without seeing it from a different angle can't tell for sure from that pic. Just asking here, not trying to cause any issues.
    The other Fred........

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Before you do anything I'd check those are actual cracks in the metal, and not just the paint. Simply file a tiny bit of the paint off on the outer diameter where the line is and see if the metal underneath has a crack or not.

If the frame is indeed cracked then you can rely on your lifetime crash replacement.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Code Burr
    I think you can see it right here, the paint just helps magnify it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracks.........-tn.jpg  

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadmos View Post
    Interesting. Mine has been creaking and squeaking a lot lately as well, but I figured it was just the pedal or bottom bracket threads. Going to go check that area out tonight.

Should be still good to ride though right? lol
    There's only one way to find out. Mine usually creaks from the front DU bushing. So I greased it and the creak was still there. Then greased all the other pivots and it was still there. Figured it was time for bushings, its been over a year and a half on these bushings. The bushings werent really all that worn though. Pivots look ok, slight wearing to the anodizing. Its good practice to take the rear triangle off and clean everything up. It traps a lot of dirt arround the bb pivot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Interesting. I haven't seen a crack in that location before, but it would appear to be a crack from that photo. If you contact your distributor I'm sure that they will sort out a crash replacement price on a rear end ASAP.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Code Burr
    I just wanted to add that Dennis took care of me and I now have a new frame. Even though my warranty had expired. Thank you Banshee.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the update, that is great customer service.