mtbr member

Cracked Spitfire

What a sweet frame! Was bummed when I found this.
    Might I suggest a gusset at the Headtube junction on the V2.....please!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked Spitfire-crack1.jpg  

Cracked Spitfire-crack2.jpg  

Less Talk More Rock

powered by bacon
    i say throw a helmet on and see how much more it will take

Incredulous bastard
    Mine went the same way.

Warranty took 4 weeks.

I thought I was the only one!

mtbr member
    Ah! Yes, a gusset up there would nice. How long ago did you have this issue?
    I am curious to know what the warranty will come out as since the V2 is right around the corner. V2 looks to have the same Top/Down Tubes....would be a shame to see the same issue on the 2013 frames. Spitfire is pretty much spot on and the refinement on this frame is exciting stuff....IMO
    Less Talk More Rock

Incredulous bastard
    I bought the frame in May 2011, so when I took it to the shop cracked on July 5, 2012, I was well within the 2 year warranty. The unfortunate part was that I didn't get my new frame until August 4...a solid month. Although apparently the guy at the distributor who was working on getting me the new frame up and quit and my warranty went unnoticed until I started making phone calls.

The bike shop ask'd me to pay for shipping for the broken frame, but that was my only expense. Banshee didn't bother to send me just a front triangle, they sent a new complete frame, minus shock. And I got to keep my old rear triangle with it's hardware, since they only required the front triangle to be returned.

Also, I'm not yet sure that this is a real "problem" for these frames, since these two occurrences are the only ones of which I'm aware. Indeed, when I was talking with the rep about the delay in getting my frame, he was under the assumption that I was getting a warranty for bushing issues. He was shocked when I told him that broke it proper.

Just for reference, I ride a large frame, I weight an easy 210-215 with gear, run a 160mm fork, and tend to enjoy the occasional 4-5 foot drop to transition...all while having the grace of a drunk donkey. And this makes the 7th mountain bike frame that I have broken (4 GF Sugars, one Giant VT & one Giant Reign are the other 6) in 10 years.

How about you, are you regular a frame wrecker like me?

Incredulous bastard
    I'll also mention that I had about 1800 miles on the frame before it broke. And luckily, I've never had bushing issues. I've always greased it up about every 6 weeks.

But given my history, I'll likely break this frame some time mid to late next year. And I'll be well outside of my warranty period by then. So I'll likely be very pleased to pick up the V2 at that point. I'm hoping that Banshee will offer me some type of reduced cost replacement deal for out of warranty frames...if not, perhaps the Ragley G6 will be available for a close look by then.

mtbr member
    Don't worry, lostboyz always has the "grace of a drunk monkey" all the time.
    JRA