mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Could you describe the Prime as "poppy"?

Going round in circles trying to decide on my next frame but keep coming back to the Prime.

On a 2013 carbon Stumpy evo 29 at the moment but the frame has some damage. I quite like it still but having ridden a Nicolai G13 Geometron at the weekend the Stumpy now feels a bit short and steep. The Nicolai on the other hand was too long and glued to the ground for my liking. Awesome bike but I'm not an aggressive enough rider to get the best out of it

I'm nearly 6'4" so would like something inbetween and the angles on the XL Prime look like they fit the bill. I'm thinking it will pedal OK with the KS link and I can live with the weight but what I want to know is how is it just mucking around boosting off trail features etc when you're not trying to go flat out?

Any thoughts appreciated, cheers!

MTB B'dos
    Set up right, I'd say it can be with the right rider, but it will never be a light weight trail whippet. They dropped a bit of weight on the frame for 2017, so now sits under 8lbs including shock, for an XL, which is pretty damn decent for a bike that can handle what the Prime can and not leave you stranded
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ta, I think my 2012 XL Sultan frame was more than that, closer to 9lbs from memory

MTB B'dos
    If you're comparing it to a Sultan, don't think you can really do that, not fair Definitely would be amuch more lively bike than the Sultan, no question.
    Quote Originally Posted by davosaurusrex View Post
    Ta, I think my 2012 XL Sultan frame was more than that, closer to 9lbs from memory
    MTB Barbados

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    XL should fit well for you. Banshee rigs pedal extraordinarily well. When I owned one, I ran it with multiple shocks (air and coil). I could say many things about the bike, almost all of them good. "Poppy" wouldn't be a word I would use.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks, pretty much confirmed what I suspected

I Got yer Activity Stream
    To me the question is more along the lines of "can a 135 travel, slack 29er to be poppy"? I'd say yes, with a few caveats.

I've intentionally set my Prime up to pop, especially lately. I run a CCDB air with the high-speed rebound backed all the way out, and spacers in the air chamber. On my Pike I run 3 tokens and the rebound backed off. So yes set up that way you can pop off stuff nicely. I'm on an XL so it's a big bike, but I'm a big guy so it just feels like a normal bike to me. I will say that right now the Pike does take a fair amount of effort to pop as it is a 150 and will dive down quite a bit when I pre-load it. But that is more of a suspension tuning issue. I think in general the more travel you have the harder it is to pop off smaller stuff. But I still enjoy popping mine off small and medium-sized trail obstacles. On smaller stuff a lesser travel bike would pop better I'm sure.
    2016 Banshee Prime, 6-speed

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks, that's very useful. I'd be on an XL as well, currently trying to decide between a Prime and a 2017 Fuel Ex. Few pros and cons with both, decisions, decisions....

MTB B'dos
    Tough choice, they're both very good bikes, guy just an EX8 and I built it for him, very nice and as I told him when he was asking for some advice, only thing that really puts me off the Treks this season is the Knock Block think, as I've had crashes I know would stress and probably fail it and smash the crap out of the DT behind the HT. The Fuel being a bit lighter than the Prime if that's something you really think about, but then again if you're a bigger or more aggressive rider, the Prime extra heft gives piece of mind to do pretty much anything you want

Thanks, that's very useful. I'd be on an XL as well, currently trying to decide between a Prime and a 2017 Fuel Ex. Few pros and cons with both, decisions, decisions....
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would guess that the knock block would take most of the energy from the crash in failing so unless you sent the bike tomahawking down the trail I think you'be be unlucky to damage the downtube, especially with the rubber bumper. I'm sure it could happen but not too worried.

I'm more concerned that the headtube on the Fuel is very short so the stack height is low, think I'd need a few spacers plus at least 40mm rise bars to get semi-comfortable. Hmmm.

MTB B'dos
    Have you actually physically seen one in person? I was of the opinion that of course it would work as advertised being such a big company and they would have thoroughly tested it, but when I got to personally inspect the setup, I was not filled with the most confidence that it would perform as advertised. Especially after going down a couple weeks back and had my bar rotate completely and auger the right side into the ground on my left, my experience tells me I would have snapped that very thin piece of alu that is sposed to stop the bar rotating.

As to the stack height, yes, it is very low with that short HT.
    I would guess that the knock block would take most of the energy from the crash in failing so unless you sent the bike tomahawking down the trail I think you'be be unlucky to damage the downtube, especially with the rubber bumper. I'm sure it could happen but not too worried.

I'm more concerned that the headtube on the Fuel is very short so the stack height is low, think I'd need a few spacers plus at least 40mm rise bars to get semi-comfortable. Hmmm.
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Going to look at one tomorrow. There is a huge thread on the Trek forum and people have been riding them for nearly 9 months now, plenty of them around so if it was an issue I would have thought you would have heard about it by now.

Leaning slightly towards the Prime because of the stack height in any case