mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Coil on spitfire

Wondering if anyone is running a coil on their Spitty? I have a CCDB Air and I'm contemplating a coil for some heftier trails and possibly light bike park use.

Anyone have any thoughts or know of any compatible coils with 140mm travel?|

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I had an Vivid coil in my spitfire and it worked Awesome. 450lbs spring at 80kg Driveread
    You can use every Coil Shock with 7.785x2.25/200x57. I would prefer a CCDB Coil or maybe an Fox DH x2 they are just a bit more expensive
    I changed back to an Air Shock, not because of the performance(coil is much better) but for the 500g i saved over an coil shock.
    If you go to Bikeparks including lifts, you should go with an Coilshock. Much less Servicing, less Problems and awesome performance.
    I'vo got an DH Rig so im not supposed to use my Spitty for that kind of stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I used to run a ccbba cs on my rune and got a good deal on dhx rc4. I thought I'd give it a try and see what I thought, couldn't hurt to have a spare shock. Anyway the coil blew me away with how it performed, most surprising for me was how well it tracked when climbing rough terrain. I liked it so much I sold the ccdba cs and bought a ti-spring for it. I guess I'm a coil convert.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I've actually been curious about this. I'm still on a v1 though and if I remember right the shock size is 7.5x2.0. Does anyone know if going to the 7.875x2.25 alter the geo significantly enough that it would negate any benefits of having the coil shock?

If I'm not mistaken it would raise the BB and steepen the HTA.

Guess I could always save my pennies and build a new Spitty...
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrizzle View Post
    I used to run a ccbba cs on my rune and got a good deal on dhx rc4. I thought I'd give it a try and see what I thought, couldn't hurt to have a spare shock. Anyway the coil blew me away with how it performed, most surprising for me was how well it tracked when climbing rough terrain. I liked it so much I sold the ccdba cs and bought a ti-spring for it. I guess I'm a coil convert.
    Same as thedrizzle: had CCDB CS on my Spitty for 2 years and got a great deal on Fox RC2 - now my CCDB CS is in the classifieds - not going back to air anytime soon, especially considering all the nice coil shocks popping out in the last year or so (Fox X2, 11/6, EXT Storia). For me the game-changer was braking traction on descends and control on landings. Super happy with my setup now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coil on spitfire-s780_img_0402.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Coil spring for bike park season. Air shock for off-season riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coil on spitfire-photo-1-14-.jpg  

Coil on spitfire-spitfire.jpg