mtbr member

Clunking Elka on my Rune

So I have been getting this thunk at the rear end of my bike every time the suspension compresses.It happens in the first few MM's of travel. Figured my bushings were worn out so I did a complete overhaul. Still getting a thunk. So, I decided to check out my shock. I removed all of the preload (2 turns worth) and the thunk disappears. Sort of. It is just less pronounced. with the bike sagged correctly with 2 turns of pre load it is very noticeable. I can feel it in the pedals, frame and the handle bars. What the heck is going on? Is this the IFP? Any thoughts?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Two areas I'd check out...

Make sure your DU bushings and reducers are in good shape. The reducers shouldn't just fall in& out of the shock.

Make sure you're running enough HS compression. The HSC is typically a "blow-off" valve for big hits only, and the adjuster creates preload on the valve. So if you're not running enough preload, low speed events (like just pushing down on the saddle or pumping the bike) will open up the HS valve, creating clicking noise/feeling.

Two turns of preload can actually be a really good thing for your shock, assuming the spring has enough length... so I'd just keep the two turns of preload if that solves the issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspen...ml#post7905234

read this and then go play with your LSC while you sit on the seat and bounce the bike at the same time you are making the adjustments.

GOOD LUCK!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had this clunk on my Elka, sent it in and they rebuilt my shock. now it's gone.

Actually my shock was never working right from new, feels great now after the rebuild. I recommend sending it in for warranty service.

-dooner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dooner View Post
    I had this clunk on my Elka, sent it in and they rebuilt my shock. now it's gone.

Actually my shock was never working right from new, feels great now after the rebuild. I recommend sending it in for warranty service.

-dooner
    Yeah, I contacted Elka. They told me to send it in. I'm going to do just that. I shouldn't have to ride with compression settings i do not like just so my shock doesn't clunk.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yeah, if it's defective, no adjusting will make it better.

Keep us posted on the turn-around time.
    One of my buddies sent his elka in, apparently border customs lost it, Elka just sent him a new shock no charge, how cool is that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Yeah, if it's defective, no adjusting will make it better.

Keep us posted on the turn-around time.
    One of my buddies sent his elka in, apparently border customs lost it, Elka just sent him a new shock no charge, how cool is that!
    Ill be praying customs loses my shock.

mtbr member
    I get a clunking noise from my Elka as well but only when I have the low speed compression on the 3/4 or higher settings. It feels like it goes down to my feet, while also coming up the stem and through my bars. When I put the compression back down to the lower settings, where I like them anyway, the clunking goes away. Other than that all of the adjustments work and the shock seems to be great. Does this sound normal? I've only had the shock over the last year and have not had to have it rebuilt yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds like you need to have your shock looked at. I know that they did have an issue with LSC related components coming loose inside the shock.... or something along those lines.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Will do. The bike is down for the season anyway and I plan on taking it apart to make ready for the new season. Good time to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Dummy View Post
    Will do. The bike is down for the season anyway and I plan on taking it apart to make ready for the new season. Good time to do it.
    I sent mine in and now there is no more clunk. They replaced a few parts and serviced it. Shock is now like butter. Under warranty it didn't cost a dime except for the shipping to get it to them. Quick turn around time as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    I sent mine in and now there is no more clunk. They replaced a few parts and serviced it. Shock is now like butter. Under warranty it didn't cost a dime except for the shipping to get it to them. Quick turn around time as well.
    When I send it to them do you think they could set me up with a new 450lb Ti spring?