mtbr member

Chain Guide VS Clutch for my Rune V2

(Posted this in The AM forum as well)

I am going to be switching out to a 1x10 X9 SRAM drive train with a 30T MRP Bling Ring from a Shimano 2x10 (XT). I am in a bit of a quandary. I cant decide whether I want to run a full chain guide and a regular X9 Rear D. Or a top only guide such as the MRP 1X (direct mount) guide along with an X9 Clutch Rear D. Im not overly concerned about bash protection. Do these new clutch Rear D's work as good or almost as good as a standard chain guide? I am leaning towards the 1X guide and the clutch but before I make the decision I wouldn't mind hearing from people who have ran them. Any opinions welcome.

powered by bacon

Re: Chain Guide VS Clutch for my Rune V2

On top of what I wrote in your other post, you might also take a look at the SRAM XX1 cranks. I just got a set and they have taller teeth on the chainring which should help to reduce the possibility of the chain dropping even more. Plus they're pretty damn light.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    +1 for XX1 cranks/chain on shimano shadow+ 10spd

No chain guide, no noise, no dropped chain! Probably don't need XX1 chain either, 10spd shimano should work...

powered by bacon

Re: Chain Guide VS Clutch for my Rune V2

Quote Originally Posted by ptd View Post
    +1 for XX1 cranks/chain on shimano shadow+ 10spd

No chain guide, no noise, no dropped chain! Probably don't need XX1 chain either, 10spd shimano should work...
    Yep.... I run the regular 10spd SRAM chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helidave View Post
    On top of what I wrote in your other post, you might also take a look at the SRAM XX1 cranks. I just got a set and they have taller teeth on the chainring which should help to reduce the possibility of the chain dropping even more. Plus they're pretty damn light.
    Kevin, you might want to consider thicker rings as well, if not the XX1 rings. I use to drop chains relentlessly when running Shimano Alu rings in the past. Whereas, this very rarely happens since switching to Blackspire SuperPro's a few years ago due to ring being just a tad thicker that holds on the chain better when romping thru choppy and chunky terrain. This along with having the front der. huging the bash, dropped chains just don't happen for me with very rare occasion of chain dropping to inner cleft of small ring that can always be pedalled back on while on bike. If it drops to the BB, usually means my rings need to be replaced after about 9 months or so (Shimano were would be toast in like 3-4 months). I think with just adding the clutch rear, should be enough for better chain retention and I would only go 1x for more simplicty with gearing and to be able to ditch the front der cables off the bars of course.
    Ride On!