Infidel

Can I, or Can't I, run a ZS headset on my Spitfire?

I just purchased a Lyrik 2-Step with a tapered steerer tube for my Spitfire. I want to replace my Revelation that has a 1 1/8 steerer. According to Banshee's website I'll need a ZS headset bottom to retain the bike's current geometry. I've called Cane Creek and they've told me that it's not possible to run a ZS headset with the tapered steerer tube on this bike. Is this correct? They suggested a traditional lower configuration and said that it would only alter the geometry by 9mm. Will this work? Are there any other options? What would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KYMtnBkr View Post
    I just purchased a Lyrik 2-Step with a tapered steerer tube for my Spitfire. I want to replace my Revelation that has a 1 1/8 steerer. According to Banshee's website I'll need a ZS headset bottom to retain the bike's current geometry. I've called Cane Creek and they've told me that it's not possible to run a ZS headset with the tapered steerer tube on this bike. Is this correct? They suggested a traditional lower configuration and said that it would only alter the geometry by 9mm. Will this work? Are there any other options? What would you recommend?
    With a tapered steerer you have to run an external lower cup. With a 49mm lower you can't run a zero stck with a tapered. I think you can with a 56mm lower.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a tapered steerer on my Spitfire with a ZS lower, but I can't remember what I bought exactly. There's not much visible to id the thing. I do remember having to buy the whole headset to get the lower assembly I wanted, since I already had the upper part installed. It might have been this one:

Orbit 1.5E ZS

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by belljeffw View Post
    I have a tapered steerer on my Spitfire with a ZS lower, but I can't remember what I bought exactly. There's not much visible to id the thing. I do remember having to buy the whole headset to get the lower assembly I wanted, since I already had the upper part installed. It might have been this one:

Orbit 1.5E ZS

Proved me wrong. Cool, good to know

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by belljeffw View Post

Orbit 1.5E ZS
    That can't be right. If you look at the headset drawing you will see that it is designed for a 56mm lower headtube ID, and not the 49mm ID of the Spitfire headtube.

mtbr member
    It uses a standard 1.5 lower with a 49mm ID.
    Universal Cycles -- Cane Creek 40 EC49 1.5" Lower Assembly

Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
    This has been covered elsewhere but this is what you need. Caged ball bearings. Use the lower then use whatever upper cup unless you are running true 1.5" steerer.

Orbit E 1.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can I, or Can't I, run a ZS headset on my Spitfire?-fsa-1.5.jpg  

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Cannonball!
    That's what I used on mine!

mtbr member
    Yep, I asked about this a few months ago. I have a Lyrik tapered with a FSA ZS lower and a Cane creek 110 upper. Works great! You can get just the Cane creek upper by itself and order the whole FSA headset which you just use 1 at 1st and then that gives you a spare bearing in case the 1st 1 fails? Some of you guys on this thread helped me out on my post. Thanks.
    JRA