Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aeolian Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    60

    Built up the new Rune today

    Rides like a dream. I pirated the fork, brakes, bars and wheels from my Scirocco, the rest is new. Love the 1x10 and have no regrets over the $ for the RS Reverb dropper post. The 2.5 Wicked Wills are too big and barely clear the rear. I have a pair of 2.3 Hans Damfs on the way.

    I was told by the guy at RBikes that the shock was supposed to be Kashima. Guess not.

    This is in Nebraska so it's just some fun xc. I'm excited to get back to NE Arizona and give the bike what it craves. I'm also really excited about not taking the punishment from the Scirocco! Love the frame but I've taken the hardtail as far as I can over the last few years and being over 50 I deserve some cushion!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Built up the new Rune today-rune..jpg  

    A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    35
    Is that the 2012 v1.5, if so how it is the fit for the axles/bushings? I am in the market for a new bike and the Rune is one of the top 3 finalist. Also looking at the Spitty and a Yeti SB-66.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lazymuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    212
    nice ride and over 50...salute...

  4. #4
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutgyr View Post
    Is that the 2012 v1.5, if so how it is the fit for the axles/bushings? I am in the market for a new bike and the Rune is one of the top 3 finalist. Also looking at the Spitty and a Yeti SB-66.
    FWIW, the rune certainly feels bigger then the SB. SB might be more comparable to the spitfire in fact.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aeolian Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    60

    Funny you should ask ...

    here are a couple of pics my mechanic sent me when the frame arrived. Apparently a washer was sacrificed in the assembly of the pivots. Dalen from Trident sent a new washer kit off straight away.

    I sure hope this is the 1.5 because that's what I was told and that's what I paid for! The pivots have little dust caps over the ports for greasing, is that what's found on the 1.5? I asked Banshee and the response from Dennis at Trident was that all bikes shipped in 2012 are 1.5. I ordered mine in February, so it must be.

    The HA is slack and feels much like my DH rig. I've only had one ride so I'm a little wobbly with the front end climbing, but that will smooth out as I grow accustomed to the angle. Coming down the bike is a dream. There's no noticeable flex anywhere and I'm a bigger rider at 6'4" 250lbs.

    I have two homes, one in NE Nebraska and one about 3 hours south of Moab. I'm in Nebraska for another week then I'll be back in the sandstone to give the bike a proper workout. I have no doubts it'll perform beyond my expectations. I'm spending the later part of March and April in Phx so the frame will; see plenty of action on South Mountain. I'll post up after I've beaten us both silly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Built up the new Rune today-pivot.jpg  

    Built up the new Rune today-pivot-exploded.jpg  

    A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

  6. #6
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolian Solo View Post
    here are a couple of pics my mechanic sent me when the frame arrived. Apparently a washer was sacrificed in the assembly of the pivots. Dalen from Trident sent a new washer kit off straight away.

    I sure hope this is the 1.5 because that's what I was told and that's what I paid for! The pivots have little dust caps over the ports for greasing, is that what's found on the 1.5? I asked Banshee and the response from Dennis at Trident was that all bikes shipped in 2012 are 1.5. I ordered mine in February, so it must be.

    The HA is slack and feels much like my DH rig. I've only had one ride so I'm a little wobbly with the front end climbing, but that will smooth out as I grow accustomed to the angle. Coming down the bike is a dream. There's no noticeable flex anywhere and I'm a bigger rider at 6'4" 250lbs.

    I have two homes, one in NE Nebraska and one about 3 hours south of Moab. I'm in Nebraska for another week then I'll be back in the sandstone to give the bike a proper workout. I have no doubts it'll perform beyond my expectations. I'm spending the later part of March and April in Phx so the frame will; see plenty of action on South Mountain. I'll post up after I've beaten us both silly.
    That's the "wear washer kit"? Looks sturdy.

  7. #7
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,410
    P.S. You have a house 3 hours south of Moab? Like on the reservation?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aeolian Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    60
    Yeah, I teach in Chinle.Thousands of square miles of Moab-like territory where we build our own trails and never see another soul ... except for an occasional shepard.
    A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,487
    There's a gusset at the downtube/seatube juncture so... yes, you have the 1.5.

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aeolian Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    60
    Thanks, Gman, good to have confirmation.
    A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

  11. #11
    Never enough time to ride
    Reputation: squish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,529
    Glad to see your still stoked on it buddy, was fun putting it together. I was blown away by the killed "wear washer" in the frame when it came in, but am impressed with how quickly they took care of it, SRAM and Turner are the only other companies that ever get me bits as quickly as they did.

    But I am going to agree Jwind, I'm dubious of the durability of the part, but I know for a fact that as much as your ride we will know very soon if their will be any further issues. And like always if you do have issues let me know and we will have parts waiting for ya when you get your self back to this side Missouri!

    happy trails...

    squish
    Get out and ride!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aeolian Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    60
    Thanks again for putting such a sweet ride under my butt. I'm back in the land of sand and ledges so you're right, we'll no real quick how well she'll hold up. I have faith!
    A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    788
    Is it just me or does it look like the coating is already wearing off the keronite axle?

    So are the new frames machined a little to accept the washers or are they just squeezed in there?

    Hope your bike runs problem free Aeolian Solo as they ride awesome, but man at those new prices that seems like one hell of gamble to me.

  14. #14
    Never enough time to ride
    Reputation: squish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,529
    When I had the pivots apart I didn't see any wear at all on the shafts, just some transfer of crud when I tapped the pivots out. It all wiped off before reassembly. There didn't seem to be a lot of grease in there from the factory so if your getting a new one that should certainly get some attention before your first ride.

    The frame or the links themselves are definitely machined to fit the "wear washers." It's still a bit of a trick to get them in there but the fit is good, just looked like the one that was mangled wasn't quite in all the way for final assembly. I'm a big fan of the bushing systems, I've owned Turners for the last 8 years and average 2 to 3 seasons from a set of bushings, compared to 4 to 6 months on any cartridge bearing bikes I've owned (6' 4", 230lbs). Interesting to see a different take on the design, after reading through the "issues" threads kinda bummed to see the problems, and an official torque value would be helpful for those of us doing the service work.

    Gotta give kudos to Dalen at the U.S Distributor for getting my the washers very quickly, customer service looks solid.

    happy trails...

    squish

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    When I had the pivots apart I didn't see any wear at all on the shafts, just some transfer of crud when I tapped the pivots out. It all wiped off before reassembly. There didn't seem to be a lot of grease in there from the factory so if your getting a new one that should certainly get some attention before your first ride.

    The frame or the links themselves are definitely machined to fit the "wear washers." It's still a bit of a trick to get them in there but the fit is good, just looked like the one that was mangled wasn't quite in all the way for final assembly. I'm a big fan of the bushing systems, I've owned Turners for the last 8 years and average 2 to 3 seasons from a set of bushings, compared to 4 to 6 months on any cartridge bearing bikes I've owned (6' 4", 230lbs). Interesting to see a different take on the design, after reading through the "issues" threads kinda bummed to see the problems, and an official torque value would be helpful for those of us doing the service work.

    Gotta give kudos to Dalen at the U.S Distributor for getting my the washers very quickly, customer service looks solid.

    happy trails...

    squish
    Good observations, fair and candid.....sign of a good mechanic. I believe bushings to be superior to bearings for bike suspension 100%. My Turners have been the easiest bikes I've owned ever! Banshee not so much...

  16. #16
    Never enough time to ride
    Reputation: squish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Good observations, fair and candid.....sign of a good mechanic. I believe bushings to be superior to bearings for bike suspension 100%. My Turners have been the easiest bikes I've owned ever! Banshee not so much...
    I try, if I don't keep an open mind and look at things objectively I can't fix things, if I can't fix things I've failed my customer, simple as that. But it does wear on you sometimes when you see things that are going to blow up and can't do much about it until it does or convince the customer to get ahead of it before it leaves them stranded on the trail.

    There's a lot done right with this pivot system but a few things leave me scratching my head, the thru axle type pivot leaves a lot of opportunity for misalignment if the ends of the link aren't exactly inline with one another, which will lead to severe bushing wear. The grease port is a bit of PITA to get to, but it does work. We will see how the cards play out, maybe the coating and the wear washers are the ticket to making it work, or they're a band-aid to just make them last a little longer before they fail.

    I will agree with your statement, Turners are very easy to own. Which fits perfectly with my job, don't want to be working on my bike after work...I just spent the last 8+ hours working on every one else's bike, I want to go ride mine And if your reading this post...might want to go ride your bike too!

    happy trails...

    squish
    Get out and ride!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ride the biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    833
    nice Rune!

    One of my friends who is impulsive but never follows through bought a scirocco per my recommendation for him to get into mtb...its been sitting pretty in his closet for a good few months. they seem like such cool hardtails

    Its pretty easy to mangle the wear washers. I was doing a real hack rush job the last time I serviced my lower link bushings and ruined one. I think really, though, that my frame had not worn way quite enough for the washer.

    I do have the feeling that with the washers and the rest of the new kit, my rune will hold up for a long time...its even standing up very well against the urge to buy something new, which for me is probably the more rigorous test.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    35
    How'd you like the DHX Air shock? I'm just bought a 2nd hand Rune frame with an older Manitou Metel R and would consider swapping it out for a something with more adjustment. Thoughts?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolian Solo View Post
    Yeah, I teach in Chinle.Thousands of square miles of Moab-like territory where we build our own trails and never see another soul ... except for an occasional shepard.
    That area is awesome . When I drive thru there I always wonder about mnt bike trails. Care to show the goods someday? Got a bunch of fun stuff in Ptown that I could show ya.
    JRA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •