Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Banshee Spitfire Pics

I've been looking online for a while and have found loads of pics of some Ripper Runes... Can't seem locate many of the Awesome Spitfire though. Come on, lets see em.. Get your Spitfires out...

This is mine... Still not managed to get a proper ride on her due to a calf injury... Sunday is looking promising though!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Spitfire Pics-photo4.jpg  

Banshee Spitfire Pics-photo3-2-.jpg  

Banshee Spitfire Pics-photo2-2-.jpg  

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    dats purdy... what cranks are those?
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Race Face - Atlas FR

Commit or eat sh!t
    You take the dog with you?

I Void Waranties
    was wondering if you can choose the suspention linkage colour options when ordering the frame? ...and the same for the decals? The grey ano u hav is real sweet.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Mate I don't think you can, otherwise I would have gone for the Orange... : ) You do get a blue one if you go the Gucci Build.

mtbr member
    So where are all the other Spitfires...?? Come on people, I wanna see some Photo's of your Banshee Spitfires.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge68
    So where are all the other Spitfires...?? Come on people, I wanna see some Photo's of your Banshee Spitfires.
    mine's getting ordered today. with any luck it'll be here later this week.

I can put all the parts I have for it on my bed and take a picture though?

nah, that would spoil the surprise

mtbr member

Another Spitfire

I think this picture should belongs to here too, the ever famous WWII fighter plane - Spitfire

My all time war plane (WWII), and i think the banshee spitfire name is well selected.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ride TAS
    Mar 2010

Drop'N'Zone Spitfire

Here is an awesome Spitfire from Drop'N'Zone

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by morebravo
    Here is an awesome Spitfire from Drop'N'Zone
    Looks like I'm headed in the wrong direction with my build (assuming I ever get the frame) with all the Skittles colors going on here. Mine will end up looking like a primer gray Camero sitting in some butt rockers yard waiting for a new tranny.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Looks like I'm headed in the wrong direction with my build (assuming I ever get the frame) with all the Skittles colors going on here. Mine will end up looking like a primer gray Camero sitting in some butt rockers yard waiting for a new tranny.
    a couple cans of rattle spray can take care of that...
    I'm not very fond of the drop'nzone spitfire; it kind of makes me want to barf.

Ride TAS
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Admittedly I don't like the Green but the rest is good.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I'll put my name into the barf hat as well. The OP's Spitfire is very nice though.

Outcast
    Agreed; the O.P.'s spitty looks great.
    Mine is going to be so black and white boring compared to all of the spitty pics I've seen.
    I'm pretty stoked that it won't be so boring to ride though.

Goes to 11

a simple build..

* Lyrik Coil
    * EX823\Hope pro II\Maxxis advantage front + minion rear
    * Banshee headset
    * Gravity 777 bar
    * SRAM gears
    * Avid Brakes
    * temporary post and stem...

total weight is about 15K (33lb) but it feels much lighter when hammering the pedals.
    action pics will follow... i guess a chain-guide will be added soon..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Spitfire Pics-spity1r.jpg  

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

Outcast
    Nice!
    I like your riding shoes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewOriginal
    * Lyrik Coil
    * EX823\Hope pro II\Maxxis advantage front + minion rear
    * Banshee headset
    * Gravity 777 bar
    * SRAM gears
    * Avid Brakes
    * temporary post and stem
    Did you get the Lyrik for the Spitfire? I have a Lyrik now, but I'm planning to ditch it and get a Revelation Team before my Spitfire arrive. You got me wondering if I should keep it and wait allthough I feel 127mm rear and 160mm front is a weird combination.. The Lyrik coil u-turn is HEAVY.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    same here. I think the only colorful things on mine are going to be the gold bolt on my 20th anniversary XO mech, and the gold bits on my joplin. everything else is black, grey, or silver.

and a little OT, did you end up getting your frame in a timely manner? or are you waiting 3 weeks like the rest of us schlubs?

Interpidity, hold onto the lyrik and try it out. worst that happens is you decide you want a revelation. best, you keep the lyrik and save some money

Goes to 11
    I had the Lyrik before, and although i also thought about replacing it, I decided to try it first.

The revelation is great and no-doubt better\lighter riders will benefit its light-weight and travel.. but for me, the stiffer Lyrik is more confidence inspiring (and IMHO looks better in compliance with the frame's tubes).

anyway, i think you should try before you buy
    Last edited by TheNewOriginal; 04-27-2010 at 09:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Is it the Camaro or the butt rocker that's waiting for the tranny?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here's mine!

I Void Waranties
    im no weight weener, but any one had one of these on a scale yet?
    Anti EBB

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Punkeyboozter
    im no weight weener, but any one had one of these on a scale yet?
    here you go, 29.5 lbs. This bike rips

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    here you go, 29.5 lbs. This bike rips
    Very respectable for a bike with flats and adjustable seatpost.

mtbr member
    Mine ways in at around 30lbs but i'm still waiting for the Straitline Flats to arrive...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Spitfire Pics-24346_382207644371_574759371_3881645_1304530_n.jpg  

Banshee Spitfire Pics-29930_384242774371_574759371_3927199_982123_n.jpg  

Banshee Spitfire Pics-25866_381872514371_574759371_3870258_1285548_n.jpg  

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Spitfire 'More Mountain Edition'

Here's my XL Spitfire Humdinger Crusher More Mountain Edition after a marathon build and right before I got my mail this morning.

I was going to post this up in the All Mountain Thread until I rode it up in Park City today and realized that it was a bit more than the 'All Mountain' crap people post up in that thread. It's actually a 'More Mountain' style of bike. Yep, you heard it here first. Eat your heart out Mr. 'black diamond bike' MBAction. If you need me to explain this to you then I suggest you just make your way over to the Ibex Thread and put on a smile.

Spec's: Haven's, Float RLC 150 QR15, RP23, XO shifters/derailleur, X9 front derailleur, XT crankset with 22/36 gearing, e.13 Turbocharger bash, XTR 11-32 cassette, Race Face Atlas low-rise bars, 180 Elixir CR's, Sunline 60mm stem, Gravity Retarder Turbo, Silverado Ti saddle, BS Stinger, gray Shimano shifter housing....

30lbs on the nose.

Low, slack and fast...just the way I like my women.

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Midgets who don't cook or clean and run away with your money before you can blink??? At least you have great taste in bikes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    SLC, nice to see the bike built up. those XL frames are pretty dang huge... I still can't wait for mine to show up

nice build too

btw, is that a high-volume can on your RP23? and is it the stock one? my interest is piqued...

oh, and did you happen to get a weight on the frameset? I kinda wanna know what the XL's weigh, so I have something to do while I wait...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sov
    Midgets who don't cook or clean and run away with your money before you can blink??? At least you have great taste in bikes
    That's some funny $hit! lmfao!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    totally agree it's "More" than an All mounting bike...
    feels to me to be almost to a super light weight "dh bike"

Homer's problem child
    Here's my XL Spitfire ....
    You forgot the most important part on your final analogy there... XL...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

MTB B'dos
    Hey SLC, can you give us some more info on the bike and yourself - height etc? Interested in measurements of you, BB to top of saddle and ground to HB.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Match.com Profile

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Hey SLC, can you give us some more info on the bike and yourself - height etc? Interested in measurements of you, BB to top of saddle and ground to HB.
    Well, I like long walks on the beach and doing Mad Libs with my blind neighbor Bernie on Sundays while sipping Sanka. And as Bortis mentioned, I like my women in sizeway XL as there's just more to love.

Here's the dealio with the XL Spitfire and myself. I'm 6-4, so the XL was the only option, this was made apparant after the first ride. So let me compare this a bit to the XL Tracer VP I ran last year (but with a Float 36 instead of a 150mm Float 32).
    The XL Spitfire (slack setting) with the exact 60mm Sunline stem I ran on the Tracer felt about a 1/4" shorter in the cockpit than the Tracer did. Which is odd, because on paper the Spitfire should be .2 inches longer. Perhaps it had something to do with the ride height in the front due to the shorter axle to crown fork I'm running. Who knows. Having said that, it was still a better cockpit length fit than 99% of the bikes out there for me as most only run a 24.5" which, in turn means running a longer stem .

Where the fit got a little wierd was the saddle to bar drop. For my set up we're talking 2 inches-which in my book is more of an aggressive XC race set up than an 'all mountain' or in my case, 'more mountain' . Figure I'm running a traditional cup lower headset (Cane Creek XXcII), 2-10mm headset spacers and 1/2" rise Race Face 31" FR Atlas bars. So far this hasn't been a problem other than just aesthetically and thinking it just looks off. In all actuality, it's made climbing much more easier/faster. But only the mild trails have dried out so far and I haven't taken it on anything steep yet - so that will be the real test.
    My guess about the aggressive drop is that it looks like Banshee's running the exact same headtube height on all 4 sizes. So if you like the front end low, which I normally do, you can get it super low on this bike if desired.

I've only gotten 2 rides on it and now it's raining again so I'm not going to go into a full review until I get some more miles on it. But there's the nuances as far as fit goes with someone as tall as me.

I will say this though: suspension set up took less time/effort than on any VPP or DW Link bike I've owned. My impression on the two rides so far is that it climbs just as well as either design, isn't quite as plush as the DW Link Mojo, but infinitely more plush than what Intense is doing with the VPP2. Couple that with the low BB and slack HA and I think this bike is going to be a ripper. So far it's been a breeze to whip that thing around corners.

Kudo's to Banshee for including a seatpost, collar, spare hanger and complete spare bushing/hardware kit with the frameset. That just made the deal that much sweeter.

what's that rattle?
    The XL Spitfire (slack setting) with the exact 60mm Sunline stem I ran on the Tracer felt about a 1/4" shorter in the cockpit than the Tracer did. Which is odd, because on paper the Spitfire should be .2 inches longer. Perhaps it had something to do with the ride height in the front due to the shorter axle to crown fork I'm running. Who knows. Having said that, it was still a better cockpit length fit than 99% of the bikes out there for me as most only run a 24.5" which, in turn means running a longer stem .
    A Tracer with a 36 should have the same ETT as a Spitfire with a 150mm Float. Changes in A2C affect ETT, unfortunately most manufacturers ignore this fact when listing bike geometry. The slacker HA of the Spitfire will put your bars slightly higher and further back than on the Tracer with the same stem, could be why the Spitfire feels shorter.

MTB B'dos
    Thanks SLC, interesting and confirms that I would stick with an XL when I get my Banshee - whether I'm impatient and get a Spitty and 69 it or just wait it out for the Claymore is yet to be decided.

Question for Keith (because I'm being lazy and I know it's somewhere in the design threads on here and don't feel like searching and reading a whole lot) but how come the Spitty uses the same length HT on all sizes and yet the Rune uses increasingly longer as sizes go up?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Question for Keith (because I'm being lazy and I know it's somewhere in the design threads on here and don't feel like searching and reading a whole lot) but how come the Spitty uses the same length HT on all sizes and yet the Rune uses increasingly longer as sizes go up?
    Because this length headtube is strong enough for the type of riding the spitfire is designed for, and gives the customer more option of running the bars low if they want (because of the agressiveness of the bike, a lot of people want a low front end, especially if running a 160mm fork). You can always add some spacers to make the front higher if desired.

It is just to give the option, you can add spacers to your build, but you can't remove headtube!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride
    Because this length headtube is strong enough for the type of riding the spitfire is designed for, and gives the customer more option of running the bars low if they want (because of the agressiveness of the bike, a lot of people want a low front end, especially if running a 160mm fork). You can always add some spacers to make the front higher if desired.

It is just to give the option, you can add spacers to your build, but you can't remove headtube!
    Like builtoride mentioned, I would rather have a low head tube and work from there than something like you'd find on an XL Giant or Turner for example. I think the Reign's run close to a 7" head tube which is just dumb.
    Having said that, I'm not a fan of running multiple headset spacers either.

I think the (my) fix should be rather easy by just adding some bars with a bit more rise to them. If I feel it's still too low I can always throw on a stem with some rise (the Sunline's don't have any rise to them) and not effect how well the bike handles.

MTB B'dos
    OK, that's a major point there I was wondering about and if it was done because of the HT design and travel, I figured it was to give options to run as tall as the 160mm forks that some are running - you think so logically, it's very refreshing, sometimes it's amost like reading what I would say Myself fall into the category of tall guy, liking my bars a bit lower than my saddle, but there are a lot of taler 29er riders who seem to have issues with short HTs and having to use too many spacers because they like to sit up like an English gentlemen on his Penny Farthing Also why I was considering the frame as a 69er candidate without sacrificing too much fork travel.

Quote Originally Posted by builttoride

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Also why I was considering the frame as a 69er candidate without sacrificing too much fork travel.
    Hmmm....I guess I don't get the appeal of all this wheel size swapping.

I have a 2010 Fox Float 120 sitting in my place and the axle to crown is exactly the same as the Float 150. Couple that Float 120 with a 29'er wheel on the Spitfire and you're sitting way over the back wheel and you're left with a outgunned front fork and possibly a way slack ST. Try and compensate that with a longer travel 29'er fjork and I would imagine you'd be perched way off the back of the bike depending on what you went with.

Seems to me so far that the Spitfire was built for maneuverability and agility. Put a wagon wheel on the front and my guess would be that you'd just be throwing all the pluses of how well the bike handles (except maybe in a straight line through a rock garden) right out the window.

Just my two cents.

MTB B'dos
    I'll assume you mean a 2010 Fox Float 120 29er fork and if so then I'm very surprised that it is the same as a 150mm Float 26er, given that the 160 is 545mm I'd guess the 150mm to be 535mm, which is 15mm taller than my 120mm Minute. As I said, people are running 160mm forks using inset headsets and doing just fine. SO, by my calculations with the 120 Minute and 29er wheel I'd be about 12-15mm taller in the ground to bottom of HT and a lot of those riders are using + rise stems, riser bars and the slack setting, so with a zero or neg stem and flat bar my bar height would be the same, HA about a 1/2 degree slacker, BUT using a 41mm offset fork to help and using the steep setting to compensate so still handling should be the same.

As to why "wagon wheels" as you term them? because I moved to them and cannot ride a bike using a BMX wheel again, it's that simple, they just seem too far away and everything looks/seems weird, kind of like when you get an upgraded glasses perscription or the first time you get glasses, everything just seems out of whack.

Hmmm....I guess I don't get the appeal of all this wheel size swapping.

I have a 2010 Fox Float 120 sitting in my place and the axle to crown is exactly the same as the Float 150. Couple that Float 120 with a 29'er wheel on the Spitfire and you're sitting way over the back wheel and you're left with a outgunned front fork and possibly a way slack ST. Try and compensate that with a longer travel 29'er fjork and I would imagine you'd be perched way off the back of the bike depending on what you went with.

Seems to me so far that the Spitfire was built for maneuverability and agility. Put a wagon wheel on the front and my guess would be that you'd just be throwing all the pluses of how well the bike handles (except maybe in a straight line through a rock garden) right out the window.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-10-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Goes to 11
    As to why "wagon wheels" as you term them? because I moved to them and cannot ride a bike using a BMX wheel again, it's that simple, they just seem too far away and everything looks/seems weird, kind of like when you get an upgraded glasses perscription or the first time you get glasses, everything just seems out of whack.
    I've been riding and racing several 29ers for the last 2 years, and while most of them were great, I would not consider messing with the spitfire's spot-on geometry which makes it such a different and fun bike to ride.
    69ers are nice for a while,but from my experience, the guys who tried & enjoyed 69ers evantually went with a full 29er for various reasons.

IMHO - if "BMX" fun is not for you and you want another 29er - get a proper 29er.

I Void Waranties
    how does this bike do on climbs since you guys compare it to a mini DH bike? Important since Ive been riding HT for all my life...

How about when climbing out of the seat?
    Anti EBB

MTB B'dos
    I guess you've not read about this forum too much then or you'd know I own a FS and rigid 29er and am patiently waiting on the Claymore 29er to come out and was thinkiing along the lines of 69ing the Spitty as a stop gap until late 2011/2012 when Keith has said it should arrive. By my calculations what I'm looking to do would not mess with the geometry much, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewOriginal
    I've been riding and racing several 29ers for the last 2 years, and while most of them were great, I would not consider messing with the spitfire's spot-on geometry which makes it such a different and fun bike to ride.
    69ers are nice for a while,but from my experience, the guys who tried & enjoyed 69ers evantually went with a full 29er for various reasons.

IMHO - if "BMX" fun is not for you and you want another 29er - get a proper 29er.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I'll assume you mean a 2010 Fox Float 120 29er fork and if so then I'm very surprised that it is the same as a 150mm Float 26er.
    Side by side in real world tests they are spot on, not e-speculating here. That means I have both in my possession and held them up next to each other to come to this conclusion.

I just came off a 29'er and the frame is up for sale in the classifieds if you're interested. I've owned a total of 4 now: 2 Niners, a Sultan and a Vassago and I fully understand the nuances of the wagon wheel. I also understand the nuances of having balanced suspension and how that effects the handling of a bike. I see guys on every forum posting up all these 29'er/650b conversion theories (yesterday the Ibis forum had three seperate Threads going about 650b conversions) and none of them make much sense. Actually they make zero sense. Different story if you're talking about a specific frame built to accomodate a larger front wheel and smaller rear.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter it's your bike so have at it.