mtbr member
    May 2009

Banshee short travel FS w/140mm fork?

I've love to see Banshee produce a short travel FS bike similiar to the GT Distortion. 67-68 deg head angle (The GT may sit at 66*?)with 140mm fork but could take 150mm & 100-120mm in the rear. Seems like there would be a demand for such a bike that could be used for aggressive XC. I guess it'd be a sort of Mini-Spitfire. I'd start saving money as soon as it was announced to replace my Evil Sovereign in a year or 2!

Oh, and 26" with 650b option.

mtbr member
    You've got the new Rampant with a tapered head tube to allow for an angle reducer headset. No 650b option, though.

I used my Rampant with a travel adjust Pike for a couple years for everything. Pike set to 95mm for DJs, 120mm for general trail riding and 140mm for when things got a little steep.

Nucking Futs
    what makes a 100 - 120 mm rear travel frame ride different than a 130 - 140 mm spitfire with slightly different geo's? (you can do allot with an angleset) i'm riding mine on mostly flat Holland "trails" and love it. don't feel i've got too much suspension, but also never really bottom it on drops/ jumps from roots and it doesn't bother me I might get a bit better power efficiency from less travel as it doesn't generate allot of bobbing at all. weight and strength wise it is spot on. I would dare to say there is no real purpose for a mellow spitfire, allthough that nano-tech carbon frame from april fools day was exciting.

besides isn't agressive xc called enduro?
    Amplify your Žide

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck View Post
    besides isn't agressive xc called enduro?
    There are so many names for everything now. I would say no, aggressive XC is called 'trail'. Enduro to me is a racing format. It is to 'all mountain' what downhill is to freeride.

And while I think there is room in the Banshee line up for a 100mm travel lightweight XC/trail bike, that is a market filled with big companies with thousands of hours of carbon design, testing etc behind them already - it might be tougher to get a competitive edge. The Spitfire and Rune fall into categories where riders tend to want a little more personality than most big-brand bikes offer. Maybe I'm selling the XC market short though, can't say I'm a part of it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Having only trails on hills & having never ridden a FS bike I was thinking that 130-140mm rear travel may soak up too much of the flat sections. If I were seriously looking at a FS frame right now, it'd be the Transition Bandit.

Everything I've read from riders of the GT Distortion is that it handles everything but the rockiest trails really well so seems like other co.'s would take notice & consider such a bike in their lineup too.

I'd love to have Spitfire but I do not need 160mm (which seems to be what is recommended).
    Last edited by bitewerks; 12-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Nucking Futs
    that is true, I don't understand why they upped the fork to 160 mm's. this makes only a small gap between the Rune. 140 - 150 max is all one needs specially with an allready slack headangle. but to give a bit more feedback on the v1 Spitty, I bought it with a talas fork so I could set it in 120 or even 100 but actually never touched it. set, forget, ride & enjoy is all about this frame but this ofcourse does differ from your preferences and riding terrain. but this step up for the V2 means there is indeed a dead space in the xc market beceause most "normal" riders as i'll call them don't do research when buying a new frame (like how it rides) but just look at numbers to make a decision. there might actually be a good reason for Banshee to come up with a smaller version of the Spitfire, allthough i'll never need it.

and i'm also getting sick of the many riding types. this is only brought into life a few years ago from manufacterers/ reviewers to sell more bikes. to me trail and enduro are in the very same boat and the Spitfire can handle a few all mountain trails aswell no problem. just as one can ride xc trail on a Rune. don't believe the hype there haha.

I rather want to see Banshee get to work on the new bike between the Scythe and Legend
    Amplify your Žide

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck View Post
    and i'm also getting sick of the many riding types. this is only brought into life a few years ago from manufacterers/ reviewers to sell more bikes. to me trail and enduro are in the very same boat and the Spitfire can handle a few all mountain trails aswell no problem. just as one can ride xc trail on a Rune. don't believe the hype there haha.
    Heh, yeah all the different brackets that riding falls into now doesn't bother me but you definitely have to take it with a grain of salt. To me, what a multi-disciplinary mountain biker needs is a bike that can climb well and another that can't.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Spitfire V.2 is the new Rune V.1 (to be used with a 160 mm. fork)

The Rune V.2 is the new Enduro, Freeride bike ( to be used with a 170 - 180 mm. fork)

And now where is the old Spitfire, the XC aggressive bike ? To be used with a 140 mm light fork?

I think there is room for a new ultralight bike (NO carbon) with the trademark Banshee geometry, with the modular convertible axels and wheel to 27.5 to be used with a 120 - 140 mm fork.

Somethig like de new Nicolai Helius TB

Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you set up the new V2 Spitfire with the dropout chips in the high BB/steep HA setting and combine it with a Fox 32 140 fork (A/C 511) you'll end up easily with a 68+ degree HA without an angle set. Build it with light parts and your looking at a 27lb (or less) trail ripper that I'd consider XC aggressive.

Gotta admit it would be a hoot to try it this way.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    If you set up the new V2 Spitfire with the dropout chips in the high BB/steep HA setting and combine it with a Fox 32 140 fork (A/C 511) you'll end up easily with a 68+ degree HA without an angle set. Build it with light parts and your looking at a 27lb (or less) trail ripper that I'd consider XC aggressive.

Gotta admit it would be a hoot to try it this way.
    Hope someone does this & posts photos & a ride report!