Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread

755K views 3K replies 404 participants last post by  windv 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I think I´m the first to have the official and final Banshee Rune v2. Nothing but to say that this is the really first bike I see it´s almost perfect!!! Since the geometries (absolutely awesome) until the suspension system... probably the best I´ve ever try in my life ( my last bike was a Ibis mojo hd and it was a good bike too but... this Rune is outstanding)

Well.. before the photo session it´s important to point out some data to get a better idea about this kind of bike...

Frame weight --> Size L ( 3.6 kilos With shock) ( 7.9 lbs)

The main points of this bike are

Head Angle (With lyrik 170mm rc2 dh coil) --> 65º
Seat Angle --> 73,5º
Bottom Bracket Heigh --> 345mm ( So less than the geo chart even with the lyrik)
Wheelbase --> 1185mm

Bike Check (see image)

Text White Line Colorfulness Black

And the images.. ENJOY THE VIEW GUYS!! :D

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Bicycle accessory Metal Carbon Composite material Steel

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle chain Bicycle drivetrain part

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

See less See more
#872 ·
:eekster:

actual tt 610mm, what two points did you measure here?

misaligned rear triangle stories is what put me off from buying a tracer.... haven't heard that banshee ever had similar qc issues

how did the distributor comment?

any pics of the rear triangle.... is the deformation visible to the naked eye?

#873 ·
I measured center-top of the HT to center-top of the ST. This should work out to 635mm claimed as effective.

The swingarm does not seem damaged. It is most likely Pacific Cycles being sloppy on the final alignment. I guess I cant cold set it to correct size, but you know, I bought this frame because I wanted warranty and cold setting without being allowed to sounds like voiding it :)

BTW - I attached pics to above post.

#880 ·
Can anyone (Keith?) tell me why the build kits for the Rune come along with a 60 mm stem? was the frame in some way designed around/with this stem length in mind? I know a lot of you ride shorter stems on their Runes, and it keeps me wondeRing why Banshee did not choose shorter stems for their build kits. Cheers!

#882 ·
I'd be guessing because it is a pretty average sized stem for most of the Banshees - people seem to run 50 to 70 range. When buying a bike the stem is probably the most commonly swapped out item (next to saddle) according to personal preferance and local terrain - everyone is different and you can't please everyone, may as well try to hit the middle ground...

#883 ·
it is a matter of preference but there seems to be alot of divergence towards the 730-740mm range in the AM and Enduro categories and these folks typically run 50 to 60mm stems. I advise people to start wide and take 20mm off at a time until you find your sweet spot...since you can put back on what youve taken off.

#884 ·
Grand finale.

I have struck a deal with my distributor. Since I am not eager to wait 6-10 weeks for a replacement frame/swingarm, we concluded that I can mount the rear wheel and see if there is a misalignment.

There was none visible, the frame is dead straight.

Thus we decided that I can use the frame, and if there is even a sliver of doubt about integrity of the bike, I'll get a warranty replacement ASAP.

So, with that in mind, my bike starts to take shape of this:

The fork is at 180mm. I still wait for a few details.
- Still need to bleed the brakes
- Shorten the steerer
- Cut the bars somewhat ( currently it is 915mm SSC Yardstick )
- New seat
- Need shock bushings :p
- Chainring will be replaced from the 39/26 they are now to:

35/21

#887 ·
frenchcr: The cassette is 12-30 Tiagra unit. I will replace the current rings because 35/21 that is my preferred gearing. 39/26 is way too high for me for a bike of this sort :)

georgeslo: thanks. The seatpost is about 8 inches above the collar. But I honestly cannot tell how much exactly. The seat is yet not perfectly positioned. I have 37mm of spacers below the stem. But that is going to change after a first few rides.

#888 ·
Ordered a frame finally, so excited to ride it the wait is going to be painful! Here's my build plan:

Rune v2 frame large ano black
Fox float ctd
X-fusion Slant RL2 DLA (still dying to find real info on this fork, talas might be a back up)
Havoc or Haven carbon bars
Havoc stem
XT brakes
XX1 drivetrain
Stans Flow EX 650b wheelset (can get them cheap with their 3.30 hubs, gotta save money somewhere)
MRP AMG
Kronolog post (a gamble I know, but I like the fixed cable)

#892 ·
with a ZS lower cup the extra height can be negated. Also the Vengeance Air has an internal travel adjust which will also lessen the A2C.

Between the two forks I feel there is no comparison. X Fusion is leagues ahead of Rock Shocks in terms of damping. The compression adjustments have a huge range, and two clicks goes very far. I was never very happy with the Lyrik. Terrible brake dive and compressions adjustments felt numb.

#891 ·
I'm ok with the vengeance axle to crown on my bike, running 170mm version.

I'm 172cm tall, on a medium frame, 0 spacers under the stem.
50mm stem on 740mm bars with 20mm rise.
BB height and head angle is fine so far on slack and neutral setting for different types of riding.
Also good for 650b clearance on arch and crown.

If you like -really- low front ends then maybe choose other forks, or run 10mm or flat as possible bars with the vengeance.

It's something like 10mm higher than most forks (?) - make sure you run a zero stack lower cup and could make the difference.

Vengeance forks are good for a solid build, damping adjustments and small bump is great, very stiff fork and suits the frame with DBair shock.

I haven't tried Lyrik or Fox 36s, but compared to Fox 40s they are very confidence inspiring.

#895 ·
X-Fusion stuff can get very confusing and there is NO mention on their web site about the fact that a true 650B Slant (yes, another model) will not be available until mid year release. Nice huh? Or the fact they will have a short travel 120/130mm Slant version, or the fact it's listed as 170mm travel in one spot with an A/C of 545.

That being said they advise (key word advise) that their 140mm Velvet fork needs a spacer to work with 650B. Guess what, it doesn't. They say the Velvet 140 DLA isn't compatible with 650B but guess what, it works. I'm not gonna advise you that the new Slant (non 650B version) will work with 650B wheels but I'm gonna guess that they will fit easily at the arch and probably be really close to the bottom of the crown at full bottom out, and well, X-Fusion would like to avoid any potential law suits by advising against using it with 650B wheels. Fork isn't even available yet so no way to know. Also, the offset could be optimized for 26" wheels. True 650B fork gets it's own offset just like 29'er forks do. All this may not matter to you as it looks as though there is no compression adjustment besides air pressure which would be to bad IMO. Seems like LOTS of people are waiting for this fork to finally materialize.

#897 ·
Nothing against X-Fusion, but I was after the Slant too. Should have been released in January, now it´s going to be mid Year or later, if the Fork will ever come ...
As for 650B: Seems like the Slant has to use a Spacer to reduce Travel down to 150 mm. 160 mm full Travel is only with 26ers. But again, that was the Feature almost a Year ago. Nobody knows when this Fork will be available, plus nobody knows the final Features of Damping or Travel-Adjust, so you might look elsewhere ...

#900 ·
Yeah, I believe that was the original info from X-Fusion and also what they tell you to do with the Velvet...even though the spacer is not needed. Now we find out it's gonna be 2 different Slant forks. It's my hunch that the 26" version of the Slant will still fit some (maybe not the tallest?) 650B tires just like some Fox 26" forks do. No way to know yet and I don't know the offset either which I think is important. When I went from my converted 650B Prophet with a std. 26" Fox fork to the Jamis with the 650B Loop fork which had 6mm more offset I couldn't believe how much better and less twitchy the Jamis was even though they both have the same HA. Much easier to ride and make it go where I wanted.

#902 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Crankset

just cause I've finally reached the 10 post count will chuck up an image...

hopefully will get it built up before the weekend for some serious testing

images don't really do justice of how LOUD the yellow is!

someone earlier mentioned how small this thing looks - I certainly didn't think it was an XL. Might just be my current Enduro XL is a farm gate

#903 ·
@williethewaiter
Lovely looking frame mate! Gotta wait another month or so for mine to arrive so seeing this just makes it harder!
One thing though, bit naughty of Banshee to send out the stickers in that sort of green when all of their promo picks look jet black, as does the other yellow one on here.
Wonder if Keith can shed any light on the change?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.