Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162
Results 3,051 to 3,062 of 3062
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    so my next question is spitfire vs rune. i really cant decide. My trails are more oriented toward the spitfire but there is one place I ride which is my favorite that has really gnarly rocky downs.

Currently riding a DB mission 27.5 but ti feel like I waste so much energy going uphill it climbs okay but not efficiently and i clearly sense wasted energy. How does the rune climb is the spitfire that much better in this category? Can the rune do okay on trail riding?

Other thing is the rune comes with the cane creek vs the only spitfire i can find comes with the rock shox monarch plus rc3. I feel the better value is coming on the rune.

What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    So I am buying a rune frame but I need to know at my size what size frame to get. I am exactly 6 foot with a 32in inseam. Would a large work or should i go XL?

Also any tips one whether you like the bike in low or nuertral would help. I ride with 650b wheels and a will be putting a 2017 fox float 36 fit4 160mm on it.
    my 2's:
    I'm also exactly 6 foot with a 31.5in inseam and was going with L size bikes since i began riding, 14 years ago. however, for the past 7 years I'm on a size M Wildcard ant it fits even better than the L size.
    i've just ordered a new Spit, size M. according to the geometry chart, it should be spot on

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    so my next question is spitfire vs rune. i really cant decide. My trails are more oriented toward the spitfire but there is one place I ride which is my favorite that has really gnarly rocky downs.

Currently riding a DB mission 27.5 but ti feel like I waste so much energy going uphill it climbs okay but not efficiently and i clearly sense wasted energy. How does the rune climb is the spitfire that much better in this category? Can the rune do okay on trail riding?

Other thing is the rune comes with the cane creek vs the only spitfire i can find comes with the rock shox monarch plus rc3. I feel the better value is coming on the rune.

What are your thoughts?
    For your riding I'd suggest the Spitfire. It's plenty able enough to cope with the gnar and heads down like it has way more than 140mm rear travel. It will fit your main riding better than the Rune.

I own a Rune by the way and love it. Have also ridden a mates Spitty which was a blast. Would be happy with either.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I climb everything with my rune. 11-36 with a 32 nw chainring. Never feel overbiked cause my trails are very technical. And i have to climb ( a lot) to the fun part. If i had smoother singketracks to ride, i would choose the spitfire, lower BB for better cornering, lighter on climbs and if you put a 160 fork, it s a blast on way down.

I would t sell my rune for a spitfire though.

FM
    mtbr member
    so my next question is spitfire vs rune.
    What are your thoughts?
    Hey- I've had both with identical builds...160mm fox 36, wide carbon rims with minions, etc. I had the spitfire first for 2yrs? then swapped the parts over to the Rune frame. Ran them both in slack setting.

The spitfire is pretty much the ultimate do-it-all bike IMO. Lower BB and slightly longer feeling cockpit made it comfortable for all-day pedally rides, and it absolutely slays corners. One of the best cornering bikes I've ever owned. I was equally happy doing alpine XC rides on it, or steep flowy DH trails.

I went to a Rune frame since I ended up with an Evil Following as my other bike. The Spitfire and Following were basically equally awesome at the same stuff. Some new local DH trails had opened up, and I had a week in whistler, so going to the burlier Rune made sense to diversify my stable, so to speak.

Going to the Rune, my initial thoughts were: Weight is about the same, and with a good shock the bike pedals excellent. I cleared all the same climbs and felt equally fresh hours in to longer rides. The only compromise was the higher BB and shorter cockpit of the Rune. These are an advantage for jumping and steep DH tech, but come at a small cost while climbing or riding flowy cornery stuff.

I only really notice the extra travel on the Rune when things get super hectic. Majority of trail riding, the bikes felt equally plush.

Overall, the differences were maybe more subtle than you might expect, which is really a compliment to how well the Rune works as a trail bike. If I could only have one ride, I'd lean towards the spitfire, slacked out with the best suspension. But if you spend a lot of time jumping or riding dbl-blk DH stuff, then lean towards the Rune.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Hey- I've had both with identical builds...160mm fox 36, wide carbon rims with minions, etc. I had the spitfire first for 2yrs? then swapped the parts over to the Rune frame. Ran them both in slack setting.

The spitfire is pretty much the ultimate do-it-all bike IMO. Lower BB and slightly longer feeling cockpit made it comfortable for all-day pedally rides, and it absolutely slays corners. One of the best cornering bikes I've ever owned. I was equally happy doing alpine XC rides on it, or steep flowy DH trails.

I went to a Rune frame since I ended up with an Evil Following as my other bike. The Spitfire and Following were basically equally awesome at the same stuff. Some new local DH trails had opened up, and I had a week in whistler, so going to the burlier Rune made sense to diversify my stable, so to speak.

Going to the Rune, my initial thoughts were: Weight is about the same, and with a good shock the bike pedals excellent. I cleared all the same climbs and felt equally fresh hours in to longer rides. The only compromise was the higher BB and shorter cockpit of the Rune. These are an advantage for jumping and steep DH tech, but come at a small cost while climbing or riding flowy cornery stuff.

I only really notice the extra travel on the Rune when things get super hectic. Majority of trail riding, the bikes felt equally plush.

Overall, the differences were maybe more subtle than you might expect, which is really a compliment to how well the Rune works as a trail bike. If I could only have one ride, I'd lean towards the spitfire, slacked out with the best suspension. But if you spend a lot of time jumping or riding dbl-blk DH stuff, then lean towards the Rune.
    Thanks for posting this! I was thinking of a rune to replace my delirium but the spitfire ( as you described) has recently caught my attention. If you were riding Whistler all the time ( mostly trails like gargamel & hey bud and few days in the park) would you still lean towards the spitfire?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As soon as bikepark gets mentioned, spitfire shouldn't really be considered. Rune would definitely be better suited to the riding you have described.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    As soon as bikepark gets mentioned, spitfire shouldn't really be considered. Rune would definitely be better suited to the riding you have described.
    Ha, the boss chimes in!

Yeah, actually a week in whistler was one of the reasons I moved from the Spitty to the Rune.

mtbr member
    Darkside was made for Whistler

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmj View Post
    This statement is actually true. I designed it to be my ideal Whistler big bike.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

FM
    mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmj View Post
    Overkill outside the park!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Depends on what you ride... the bikepark is tame compared to many DH tracks in the area, the local stuff gets rowdy. For trail riding around whistler I'd probably opt for the phantom to be honest, I had a blast testing it out there. If I had one bike for local riding, then rune would be it, but I wouldn't subject it to the bikepark regularly.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162