Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162
Results 3,051 to 3,088 of 3088
  1. #3051
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    334
    so my next question is spitfire vs rune. i really cant decide. My trails are more oriented toward the spitfire but there is one place I ride which is my favorite that has really gnarly rocky downs.

    Currently riding a DB mission 27.5 but ti feel like I waste so much energy going uphill it climbs okay but not efficiently and i clearly sense wasted energy. How does the rune climb is the spitfire that much better in this category? Can the rune do okay on trail riding?

    Other thing is the rune comes with the cane creek vs the only spitfire i can find comes with the rock shox monarch plus rc3. I feel the better value is coming on the rune.

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #3052
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amrayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    So I am buying a rune frame but I need to know at my size what size frame to get. I am exactly 6 foot with a 32in inseam. Would a large work or should i go XL?

    Also any tips one whether you like the bike in low or nuertral would help. I ride with 650b wheels and a will be putting a 2017 fox float 36 fit4 160mm on it.
    my 2's:
    I'm also exactly 6 foot with a 31.5in inseam and was going with L size bikes since i began riding, 14 years ago. however, for the past 7 years I'm on a size M Wildcard ant it fits even better than the L size.
    i've just ordered a new Spit, size M. according to the geometry chart, it should be spot on

  3. #3053
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    so my next question is spitfire vs rune. i really cant decide. My trails are more oriented toward the spitfire but there is one place I ride which is my favorite that has really gnarly rocky downs.

    Currently riding a DB mission 27.5 but ti feel like I waste so much energy going uphill it climbs okay but not efficiently and i clearly sense wasted energy. How does the rune climb is the spitfire that much better in this category? Can the rune do okay on trail riding?

    Other thing is the rune comes with the cane creek vs the only spitfire i can find comes with the rock shox monarch plus rc3. I feel the better value is coming on the rune.

    What are your thoughts?
    For your riding I'd suggest the Spitfire. It's plenty able enough to cope with the gnar and heads down like it has way more than 140mm rear travel. It will fit your main riding better than the Rune.

    I own a Rune by the way and love it. Have also ridden a mates Spitty which was a blast. Would be happy with either.

    Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

  4. #3054
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drapeado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    165
    I climb everything with my rune. 11-36 with a 32 nw chainring. Never feel overbiked cause my trails are very technical. And i have to climb ( a lot) to the fun part. If i had smoother singketracks to ride, i would choose the spitfire, lower BB for better cornering, lighter on climbs and if you put a 160 fork, it s a blast on way down.

    I would t sell my rune for a spitfire though.

  5. #3055
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    so my next question is spitfire vs rune.
    What are your thoughts?
    Hey- I've had both with identical builds...160mm fox 36, wide carbon rims with minions, etc. I had the spitfire first for 2yrs? then swapped the parts over to the Rune frame. Ran them both in slack setting.

    The spitfire is pretty much the ultimate do-it-all bike IMO. Lower BB and slightly longer feeling cockpit made it comfortable for all-day pedally rides, and it absolutely slays corners. One of the best cornering bikes I've ever owned. I was equally happy doing alpine XC rides on it, or steep flowy DH trails.

    I went to a Rune frame since I ended up with an Evil Following as my other bike. The Spitfire and Following were basically equally awesome at the same stuff. Some new local DH trails had opened up, and I had a week in whistler, so going to the burlier Rune made sense to diversify my stable, so to speak.

    Going to the Rune, my initial thoughts were: Weight is about the same, and with a good shock the bike pedals excellent. I cleared all the same climbs and felt equally fresh hours in to longer rides. The only compromise was the higher BB and shorter cockpit of the Rune. These are an advantage for jumping and steep DH tech, but come at a small cost while climbing or riding flowy cornery stuff.

    I only really notice the extra travel on the Rune when things get super hectic. Majority of trail riding, the bikes felt equally plush.

    Overall, the differences were maybe more subtle than you might expect, which is really a compliment to how well the Rune works as a trail bike. If I could only have one ride, I'd lean towards the spitfire, slacked out with the best suspension. But if you spend a lot of time jumping or riding dbl-blk DH stuff, then lean towards the Rune.

  6. #3056
    gmx
    gmx is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Hey- I've had both with identical builds...160mm fox 36, wide carbon rims with minions, etc. I had the spitfire first for 2yrs? then swapped the parts over to the Rune frame. Ran them both in slack setting.

    The spitfire is pretty much the ultimate do-it-all bike IMO. Lower BB and slightly longer feeling cockpit made it comfortable for all-day pedally rides, and it absolutely slays corners. One of the best cornering bikes I've ever owned. I was equally happy doing alpine XC rides on it, or steep flowy DH trails.

    I went to a Rune frame since I ended up with an Evil Following as my other bike. The Spitfire and Following were basically equally awesome at the same stuff. Some new local DH trails had opened up, and I had a week in whistler, so going to the burlier Rune made sense to diversify my stable, so to speak.

    Going to the Rune, my initial thoughts were: Weight is about the same, and with a good shock the bike pedals excellent. I cleared all the same climbs and felt equally fresh hours in to longer rides. The only compromise was the higher BB and shorter cockpit of the Rune. These are an advantage for jumping and steep DH tech, but come at a small cost while climbing or riding flowy cornery stuff.

    I only really notice the extra travel on the Rune when things get super hectic. Majority of trail riding, the bikes felt equally plush.

    Overall, the differences were maybe more subtle than you might expect, which is really a compliment to how well the Rune works as a trail bike. If I could only have one ride, I'd lean towards the spitfire, slacked out with the best suspension. But if you spend a lot of time jumping or riding dbl-blk DH stuff, then lean towards the Rune.
    Thanks for posting this! I was thinking of a rune to replace my delirium but the spitfire ( as you described) has recently caught my attention. If you were riding Whistler all the time ( mostly trails like gargamel & hey bud and few days in the park) would you still lean towards the spitfire?

  7. #3057
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,086
    As soon as bikepark gets mentioned, spitfire shouldn't really be considered. Rune would definitely be better suited to the riding you have described.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  8. #3058
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,324
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    As soon as bikepark gets mentioned, spitfire shouldn't really be considered. Rune would definitely be better suited to the riding you have described.
    Ha, the boss chimes in!

    Yeah, actually a week in whistler was one of the reasons I moved from the Spitty to the Rune.

  9. #3059
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    143
    Darkside was made for Whistler

  10. #3060
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmj View Post
    Darkside was made for Whistler
    This statement is actually true. I designed it to be my ideal Whistler big bike.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  11. #3061
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,324

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmj View Post
    Darkside was made for Whistler
    Overkill outside the park!

  12. #3062
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,086
    Depends on what you ride... the bikepark is tame compared to many DH tracks in the area, the local stuff gets rowdy. For trail riding around whistler I'd probably opt for the phantom to be honest, I had a blast testing it out there. If I had one bike for local riding, then rune would be it, but I wouldn't subject it to the bikepark regularly.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  13. #3063
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    212
    Hi all, I'm planning to order a Rune next week. Does anyone have feedback on how they are working with a monarch plus? I read a lot of people are running coil but I'm trying to keep any unnecessary weight off the build. I've been on an X2 shock for 2 years, so wondering if I should budget for one or if the monarch plus will fit the bill.

  14. #3064
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Junersun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,268
    I think it depends on your intended purpose on the rune. Many are going coil because it's so bombproof but I ran an air shock on it for a while before switching to coil.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Deity Cryptkeeper
    '16 YT Tues
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 NS Essentric
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '14 Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar

  15. #3065
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    212
    I'll be riding all mountain (not bike park) and mostly pedalling up, a lot of fire road climbs. Also doing some enduro racing. I'm coming off a bronson.

  16. #3066
    Braaap
    Reputation: DirtMerchantBicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    395
    The Monarch Plus is a nice shock...however, if you've figured out how to dial in your X2, I think you'll be a bit disappointed with the Monarch.

    We currently have a sale on frames bundled with a RS Monarch and a headset...it's only +$110 to add a shock and headset! Test the Monarch out and use it as a spare if you need to upgrade.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

  17. #3067
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    212
    What sort of weight are the coil builds coming out at? I can spec the frame with a coil through my dealer but it adds a full pound over the monarch plus

  18. #3068
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Junersun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,268
    I think mine is coming in around 34 lbs BUT I have so much crap on it so I can ride backpackless I think it's an unfair number to judge the bike.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Deity Cryptkeeper
    '16 YT Tues
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 NS Essentric
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '14 Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar

  19. #3069
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    143
    I'm at 31.5- 32 with a dvo jade, lyrik, carbon bars and wheels

  20. #3070
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    212
    OK thanks, if I could pull off a 32 lbs build in large with coil I'd be pretty happy. I've got carbon bars and hoops too, but also saint brakes.

  21. #3071
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Junersun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,268
    Def doable! I also have a jade with the sls spring and the weight between that and the x2 was about half a pound.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Deity Cryptkeeper
    '16 YT Tues
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 NS Essentric
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '14 Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar

  22. #3072
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    212
    Last question - I'm trying to decide what colour frame to get, do the raw frames look a bit dull out in the wild? They look great on the site but some of the real world photos of raw frames don't look the best.

  23. #3073
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Last question - I'm trying to decide what colour frame to get, do the raw frames look a bit dull out in the wild? They look great on the site but some of the real world photos of raw frames don't look the best.
    A mate has a raw Rune, I was only thinking the other day how great it looked in the flesh.

  24. #3074
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Junersun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,268
    I personally never think a bike looks wrong in either black or raw... go for it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Deity Cryptkeeper
    '16 YT Tues
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 NS Essentric
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '14 Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar

  25. #3075
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    I personally never think a bike looks wrong in either black or raw... go for it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my mate that I ride with all the time is getting black - can't be too matchy! I'm thinking yellow now, just been watching this over and over https://www.pinkbike.com/video/468969/

  26. #3076
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    9
    Am I right in thinking this years rune is exactly the same reach as the spitty? Im changing to a rune as I've cracked 2 spitfires.

  27. #3077
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    6
    Ive got a 2017 raw built up with X2, i think it looks f@#king fantastic. Ill post a shot tonight so you can take a look. The black looks equally as awesome, but my last frame was black soo...

    And yea the reach is 455 this year.

  28. #3078
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacMD View Post
    Ive got a 2017 raw built up with X2, i think it looks f@#king fantastic. Ill post a shot tonight so you can take a look. The black looks equally as awesome, but my last frame was black soo...
    Would love to see a pic!

    I ordered the yellow with the monarch plus to start. I have an x2 available to me if I want to go that way, or I might see what shocks come out this season. Can't wait to do my build

  29. #3079
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drapeado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    165
    Mine's raw too, i really like it. It has a "brushed" look, and it changes as you look at it from diferent angles

    It also "hides" all small rock hits etc

  30. #3080
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Junersun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,268
    Unfortunately I imagine a lot of the companies are focusing on metric shocks.... UGH!
    '15 Deity Cryptkeeper
    '16 YT Tues
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 NS Essentric
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '14 Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar

  31. #3081
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Roberts12 View Post
    Am I right in thinking this years rune is exactly the same reach as the spitty? Im changing to a rune as I've cracked 2 spitfires.
    Where did the Spittys crack?

  32. #3082
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
    Where did the Spittys crack?
    one across the downtube by the support gusset, and one actually on the weld of support gusset.

  33. #3083
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amrayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Roberts12 View Post
    one across the downtube by the support gusset, and one actually on the weld of support gusset.
    no support gusset in 2017 models...
    will never crack over there again

  34. #3084
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtrider76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,800
    My Rune cracked the seat tube at the upper link mount. I've seen others cracked at the same spot
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

  35. #3085
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1
    Hello, first post here in mtbr
    Looking for refresh my Rune '13, paiting it and new stickers. I have a PDF with the "old" stickers but I was looking for the new ones, Has someone the new stickers in pdf or similar? Or any sites to buy it?

    Photo for the presentation in the thread, racing DH last summer with it.

    Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-13613518_745714678865038_7502203787195958068_o-1-.jpg

  36. #3086
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    212
    Nice huck!

    These guys do some fully custom decals for Banshee in the current design hasdesigns.pt

  37. #3087
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1
    I've bought a 2015 Rune second-hand and love it so much I've bought the 2017 frame and am doing a complete fresh build. Yay!

    I've read a bit in this thread about coil options and the recommendation from @builttoride in 2015 was to go with a coil shock with bottom out control or that had position based damping.

    What are the options like in 2017? The DVO Jade is still around but is getting a bit long in the tooth. I can get a good preorder price on the 2018 Fox DHX2 but don't know if it will suit. And the cane creek db inline coil looks good for weight reasons.

    Help me out. I'm keen to try out a coil as the frame comes with the Monarch so I will have option to run either air or coil depending on the conditions.

  38. #3088
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Junersun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,268
    I'm running a jade exclusively on the Rune. I love it. it's a DH beast with a coil. The bladder system isn't really bottom out resistance specific but I have yet to experience a harsh bottom out.

    I'm running a 2016 rune though so I don't know if the kinematics of the 2017 has changed. That being said, when I ran a straight linear coil like a CCDB CS, I found that I had to compensate a little with a stiffer spring.

    I think that's what you'll experience with the DHX2. Maybe others can chime in but the only shock I know that's around with a bottom out resistance is the X-fusion vector coil.

    If weight is not an issue, I don't care how far along air shocks have come (I had a X2 on it before), it'll never be the same as coil.
    '15 Deity Cryptkeeper
    '16 YT Tues
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 NS Essentric
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '14 Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162

Members who have read this thread: 210

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •