Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread

755K views 3K replies 404 participants last post by  windv 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I think I´m the first to have the official and final Banshee Rune v2. Nothing but to say that this is the really first bike I see it´s almost perfect!!! Since the geometries (absolutely awesome) until the suspension system... probably the best I´ve ever try in my life ( my last bike was a Ibis mojo hd and it was a good bike too but... this Rune is outstanding)

Well.. before the photo session it´s important to point out some data to get a better idea about this kind of bike...

Frame weight --> Size L ( 3.6 kilos With shock) ( 7.9 lbs)

The main points of this bike are

Head Angle (With lyrik 170mm rc2 dh coil) --> 65º
Seat Angle --> 73,5º
Bottom Bracket Heigh --> 345mm ( So less than the geo chart even with the lyrik)
Wheelbase --> 1185mm

Bike Check (see image)

Text White Line Colorfulness Black

And the images.. ENJOY THE VIEW GUYS!! :D

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Bicycle accessory Metal Carbon Composite material Steel

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle chain Bicycle drivetrain part

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

See less See more
#150 ·
@MalcomX

Nice vids, thanks MalcomX. The problem ist, that all these videos feature other bikes than the RUNE v2.
The Steep Throat is the most interesting, but looks more like work than like fun...:rolleyes:
Would you see the LV 601 with 165mm as an direct rival to the RUNE? It is lighter and the wheelbase is shorter, so maybe better suited for vertriding than the RUNE?

#151 ·
i am familiar with the 601, and it is about 300gr lighter than the V2 rune (which is literally nothing) and has jsut about the same wheelbase... so yes, I think they are really comparable (only that I think the Rune will last a lot better regarding denting etc...)
I don't like to be on videos, but I ride with these guys (and girls) on these trails, and I know the trails very well, so you can trust me that the V2 rune will be loads of fun on them...
Maybe there will be some Video with me riding my V2 rune riding on a trail that some friends (and I) were building over the last year or so... it is more like a mini-bikepark trail, so that won't help too much either...

#155 ·
In all theory and out of imagination:

I´m following the Runeand it´s Picture-Threads here for some Years now, and the Rune V1 and V1.5 are build up so differently - from All-Terrain to Local-DH-Racing and everything in between. Simply shows how versatile and strong the previous Runes are. The Rune V2 has advanced and evolved in almost every Aspect and is now that kind of Bike when I started Mountainbiking back in the Days: A modern, light, pedalefficiant Freeridebike, now called "Enduro-Bike". It is again build for overall Trailriding, Enduro-DH-Racing and such ... so if it is good for high alpine rocky and rooty Trails, it should excel on any Bikepark-Trail as well, whether they are gnarly, steep and technical or fast and jumpy. I mean, some "Hometrails" are alot more demanding than some smoothed-out Park-Trails. It might not be a Full-Park-Bike, so JBL123, in my Opinion the V2 should be good for that. You may want to wait for it´s bigger Brother, the KS-Link Scythe, which will fit more to that (imagine 180-200 mm Travel, 65-64 Deg HA), but nobody could quote on how good it will be when it comes to pedalling or climbing, except the Banshee-Dudes. In the Meantime the Rune V2 is one of the most aggressive Enduro-Bikes out there - Competitors will be the Nicolai ION-16 or Carver IBC-Edition, or at least the almighty Specialized Enduro. There are Pictures of Crankworx when the Rune V2 was raced hard by Banshee-Teamriders - should be ok, eh?!? :D

To the Aspect of slow, technical Riding, or blowing gnarly and fast, or Descends à la Trial/Vertride-Style:
Am I the only one who thinks that it is mostly the Rider, his Skills and Technique - and not the Bike, knowing that some Bikes support a little more, others not that much? Isn´t it all about "getting used to it"? Isn´t the Bike itself somehow overvalued sometimes (which seems pretty much curious while I´m excited to get my Hands on the Spitty V2 :p)?

Geetings
NoStyle

#157 ·
I am 190cm tall with 93cm inseam...

the bike still does not fell huge, but I am riding it with 40mm stem for now... maybe 50mm later...
so with 182cm I would go for medium, unless you really want to go for the 30-40mm stems... standover is not an issue, so it is down to personal preference...

#163 ·
i will see it :)

forgot to mention, i sat on a 2012 Spezi Enduro too, in XL ...

my plan is, 2 go for a 30/35mm stem and see how it works.

i would always prefer a bike, a little bit longer, with a shorter stem.
on my spicy i could really go for a 70mm stem for the long climbs etc., but its so much better with a 50mm once ...

@malcomx: there are reverb´s with a length of 380mm ;)

#165 ·
i see that point, but i took my time and compared the geometrie from my spicy and the rune, both in L, and i want to have a larger frame. the only frame which could offer this, and the good feel, i won´t brake it - has been the rune.

i really thought about it ;) ... hope so :p

btw: i will go for the CCDB Air - so my intention is to go fast, down the hill ... never going to ride some "vertriding". maybe if i feel so, the rune will see some bikeparkdays 2013

#180 · (Edited)
185mm -190mm would be good to still have some adjustment... :)
@ adriano: what do you think about the vivid coil? what tune is it (medium i guess?)
does it feel more planted on rough, fast sections?

I was riding a fox rc4 in my last rune, and absolutly loved it... and if you can leave the shockpump at home on long alpine tours, you get back some of the weight added with the coil shock :)

#181 ·
@MalcolmX

To be honest I don´t know how will perform the coil in this bike cause yesterday I built it on the bike... but trying in the ground the bike feels pretty sensitive and regarding the sensations in the ibis hd... (in that case the bike change completely at high speed and corners) probably in this bike will be the definitive weapon...

The tune of this coil is M/M and I think it´s the right one... very sensite and the bike feels brutal in downhill mode... I´ll try this weekend with a rock garden here in Madrid... let´s see it how it works but I think it will be awesome... this bike it´s outstanding...

Current weight with the vivid coil + steel spring it´s 14,5 kilos... with the CTD it´s 14kilos. So I think the weight it´s just perfect... furthermore I added an Ibex Onza 2,40 dh in the rear and a High Roller 2 Exoprotection in the front... amazing tires... :thumbsup:

#183 ·
a part list with weights would be interesting... mine weights just about 15kg with the fox... it has heavier stem and bar and grips (~200gr total) but other parts are similar, some even lighter.

and, you weighted your frame with 3,6kg, which is really less than it has (mine weights over 3,7 kg with standard dropouts and close to 3,8kg with fox ctd and the 142mm dropouts) so I think you should check your scale... nevertheless, gorgous bike... but I think the total weight you stated is about 700gr off from reality...
500gr between fox CTD and vivid coil with steel spring is also´not a realistic number...

not that weights concerns me too much in reality... but it is just fair to give real weights...;)
I bet, with vivid coil, steel spring, and the heavier tires (2-ply in the back, exo up front) it is closer to 15,8-16kg than 14,5 kg...

#185 ·
forget about hanging scales... I tried several, and they are all totally wrong...
only accurate way is laying every single part on a kitchen scale.

I can post my partlist and weights tonight... but if yo are concerned about that, the V2 rune is probably not the right bike... but 15-16kg is probably where usually it ends up with proper tires and coil fork. of couse, with endless monetary ressources, it can probably be brought down to 13kg as well... but that makes little sense to me...

adriano, I think you did a fantastic job in picking the parts for your rune...:thumbsup:

#189 ·
Hey guys, I found myself a nice 2012 marzocchi 55. RC3 evo Ti with an uncut tapered steerer. Can you guys tell me which Chris king or cane creek head set would work with the rune and a tapered steerer. I would like to start looking online for a used one but I am not sure what to look for.

Thank you for any input in advance!

#190 ·
The correct SHIS standard for a zero stack headset on the Rune v2 and tapered steerer fork is:

Upper: ZS 44/28.6
This means zero stack style cup, 44mm internal head tube diameter, 28.6mm steerer tube diameter (1.1/8" top of steerer diameter)

Lower ZS 56/40
This means zero stack style cup, 56 internal head tube diameter, 40mm crown race seat diameter (1.5" bottom of steerer diameter)

mind bending..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.