Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,700 of 3180
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milesos View Post
    You'll love that setup I do.
    Are you getting the latest frame with longer reach?
    Yeah the new geo is what really convinced me to pull the trigger (among other things that already was part of the package; adj drop outs, slack, low etc) Still waiting for the frame to arrive but it'll spec out like....

Frame: 142x12 650B drop out in the low setting
    Shock: Cane Creek DB Coil CS
    Forks: 2015 Fox 36 170
    Wheels: Derby/Hadley
    Fr Tyre: Schwalbe Hans (waiting for maxxis WT DHF)
    Rr Tyre: Schwalbe Nobby (waiting for maxxis WT DHR)
    Headset: Hope ZS
    Stem: Syntace Megaforce 40mm
    Bars: Raceface six C 780
    Grips: LizardSkin
    Brakes: Formula RO
    Drivetrain: XX1 Crank/X01 RD/X01 Cassette (waiting for Hope's new Cassette)
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King
    Chain device: MRP AMG
    Pedals: Deity Bladerunner
    Seat post: 9Point8 Fall Line 150mm
    Seat: WTB Volt
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How about a Vintage Banshee ;-)

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20151003_140350.jpg

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20151003_140522.jpg

And a solution for a granny gear caused chainstay rub: anti chain tensioner ;-)

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20150925_144115.jpg

PS: Besides great downhill performance. I'am still impressed how well this bike climbs, and mean a real steep stuff >20%

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Man i'm so tempted to get a second front cog sometimes. On the big sundays after a saturday of rugby this year i've really struggled and have been looking for a new fancier frame. But getting a two by for winter could be the solution. Either that or use all my parts for a hardtail build over winter. ^^ looks fantastic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by makoman View Post
    Man i'm so tempted to get a second front cog sometimes. On the big sundays after a saturday of rugby this year i've really struggled and have been looking for a new fancier frame. But getting a two by for winter could be the solution. Either that or use all my parts for a hardtail build over winter. ^^ looks fantastic.
    IMO if youre going to do some more serious climbing then i do not see a way around two-by, even front 30/rear 45 is much harder gear then front 20/rear 34 (still using an old 9-speed compact drive which i love). If not racing i see not much point in 11-speed stuff.

BTW, thats a modified manitou nixon (170mm travel) with infinite adjust - so with a press of handlebar remote you can drop it to anything in between 30mm-170mm to climb the "verticals" ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Manitou Nixon, must be getting on a bit now, but it's still pretty good? Did you set up the infinite adjust yourself?

I'm just running a converted 10 speed, with a 40 tooth max rear, 32 chainring. Maybe i'll just hold on and get a full 11 speed.

mtbr member
    The sram gx stuff is pretty affordable now

Quote Originally Posted by makoman View Post
    Manitou Nixon, must be getting on a bit now, but it's still pretty good? Did you set up the infinite adjust yourself?

I'm just running a converted 10 speed, with a 40 tooth max rear, 32 chainring. Maybe i'll just hold on and get a full 11 speed.
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    The sram gx stuff is pretty affordable now
    The GX cassette actually has a big Advantage over the more expensive ones - the biggest ring which tends to wear first because of the chainline is made of steel!

The GX derailleur also seems quite good quality...
    I only would go for the X01 shifter and crank for performance reasons, that way you can make a pretty decent setup without breaking the bank account...

mtbr member
    Finally built! Cant wait to give it a shakedown!

Thanks everyone for helping me decide how to build the bike!

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-img_1031.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-img_1032.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-img_1033.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-img_1035.jpg

Yeah the new geo is what really convinced me to pull the trigger (among other things that already was part of the package; adj drop outs, slack, low etc) Still waiting for the frame to arrive but it'll spec out like....

Frame: 142x12 650B drop out in the low setting
    Shock: Cane Creek DB Coil CS
    Forks: 2015 Fox 36 170
    Wheels: Derby/Hadley
    Fr Tyre: Schwalbe Hans (waiting for maxxis WT DHF)
    Rr Tyre: Schwalbe Nobby (waiting for maxxis WT DHR)
    Headset: Hope ZS
    Stem: Syntace Megaforce 40mm
    Bars: Raceface six C 780
    Grips: LizardSkin
    Brakes: Formula RO
    Drivetrain: XX1 Crank/X01 RD/X01 Cassette (waiting for Hope's new Cassette)
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King
    Chain device: MRP AMG
    Pedals: Deity Bladerunner
    Seat post: 9Point8 Fall Line 150mm
    Seat: WTB Volt
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Now that's some serious monster truck vibe!
    Still can't believe how good Runes look with coil shocks.

mtbr member
    Nice build, what does the 170mm fork do to the geometry? Very similar to a build im considering

mtbr member
    It's coming in at 32 lbs for this build. That's with a steel spring.

Let me know what geo you are curious about and I can certainly go measure it. It probably won't deviate from the slack setting too much.

Won't get a maiden voyage on her till this weekend. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmj View Post
    Nice build, what does the 170mm fork do to the geometry? Very similar to a build im considering

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that every 10mm on the fork changes the HA by a full degree. Is that the 2016 of 2015?

mtbr member
    That's a good estimate. Won't matter about years of fork production

I read somewhere that every 10mm on the fork changes the HA by a full degree. Is that the 2016 of 2015?

mtbr member
    I should of specified, I meant what year was the frame

mtbr member
    Oop yeah you did ask that. mine's the 2016 (.5 degree slacker HA, 1 degree steeper SA) with 650b drop outs

One more proper picture to show drivetrain... I have it set on the slack setting as well.

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-img_1039.jpg

I should of specified, I meant what year was the frame
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    So for the past few months I have had a bad case of New-Bike-Itus. After careful thought and realizing that I love my Rune and am not ready to part with it yet I split the difference and went with a completely new build (sans the shock and fork).

A Full Shimano XT M8000 11 Speed drive train (11-42 out back with a single 30T front ring with a OnOne Chain guide) along with M8000 brakes. A new KS LEV dropper with an Ergon saddle. Raceface SIXC 35mm Carbon Fiber Bar with Raceface Atlas 35 50mm stem. Lastly a new set of wheels that I built up over the past week, Easton ARC 27's Laced to Ano Blue Hope Pro II Evos with DT Comp spokes and Ano blue nipples.

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-dsc00001.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-dsc00007.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-dsc00010.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-dsc00014.jpg

mtbr member
    The raw look is awesome! it'll never go out of style. I've heard nothing but great thing about the M8000 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    So for the past few months I have had a bad case of New-Bike-Itus. After careful thought and realizing that I love my Rune and am not ready to part with it yet I split the difference and went with a completely new build (sans the shock and fork).

A Full Shimano XT M8000 11 Speed drive train (11-42 out back with a single 30T front ring with a OnOne Chain guide) along with M8000 brakes. A new KS LEV dropper with an Ergon saddle. Raceface SIXC 35mm Carbon Fiber Bar with Raceface Atlas 35 50mm stem. Lastly a new set of wheels that I built up over the past week, Easton ARC 27's Laced to Ano Blue Hope Pro II Evos with DT Comp spokes and Ano blue nipples.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00001.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	1025477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00007.jpg 
Views:	857 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	1025478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00010.jpg 
Views:	1283 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	1025479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00014.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	1025480
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    The raw look is awesome! it'll never go out of style. I've heard nothing but great thing about the M8000 as well.
    Yeah I like the raw. I haven't ridden the bike with the new XT, I'm hoping to break it in this weekend. I'm usually a SRAM guy but the New XT is too good to pass up. Especially how less expensive it is compared to equivalent SRAM components. That and I can use a regular free hub body and not have to shell out 300 bucks a pop for cassettes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    Yeah I like the raw. I haven't ridden the bike with the new XT, I'm hoping to break it in this weekend. I'm usually a SRAM guy but the New XT is too good to pass up. Especially how less expensive it is compared to equivalent SRAM components. That and I can use a regular free hub body and not have to shell out 300 bucks a pop for cassettes.
    Agreed. On a better note though the GX cassettes from SRAM are much much cheaper now. But they still require an XD driver. Had I just jumped into the 11 speed bandwagon where I was told that I need a XD driver body, I would def opt for the 11-42 xt too.
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mud junkie
    Here's my contribution:

Frame: 2016 Rune V2 - Medium (neutral setting)
    Shock: RS Monarch Plus RC3 - High Volume (M/L tune)
    Fork: DVO Diamond
    Drivetrain: SRAM X1 (11spd / 170mm crank arms / 32 teeth rings)
    Brakes: Avid Guide R (203mm front / 180mm rear)
    Stem: Easton Haven 35 (32mm)
    Handlebar: Easton Havoc 35 (800mm / 20mm)
    Seatpost: RS REverb Stealth (380mm / 125mm)
    Rims: Easton ARC 30
    Spokes: DT Champion
    Hubs: DT Swiss 350 w/ 54 ratchet bontrager upgrade
    Chain Guide: MRP AMG V2
    Pedals: Exustar E-PM820 (SPD)
    Grips: ODI
    Saddle: Giant
    Headset: Token ZS44/56

Name:  P_20151108_114827_1_p.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  192.4 KB

Like most of you I come from a DH background (before the modern geo revolution) so I'm still in the process of getting to know the Rune... So far it's been more positive!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-p_20151108_114827_1_p.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Coil shock

How does this ride with a coil shock vs air? I am running the Fox CTD in mine, but thinking about running coil instead.

Oop yeah you did ask that. mine's the 2016 (.5 degree slacker HA, 1 degree steeper SA) with 650b drop outs

One more proper picture to show drivetrain... I have it set on the slack setting as well.

Name:	IMG_1039.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	1025328

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Rune V2 coil vs air shock

@builttoride, or anyone else who can comment... what are the pros/cons of running a coil shock on the Rune V2 over air (aside from weight)? In some places I read that the suspension curve is more conducive to the characteristics of an air shock, however I see a few people running coil and am thinking about doing the same myself. Bad idea? Currently running the 2013 Fox CTD. Would be great if Keith could chime in on this! Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-img_20150920_113148.jpg  

mtbr member
    So I finally got the right spring on mine so I'm not quite there yet to give you an idea. Also I have never tested the rune with an air shock. The linkage design website that tests the 2013 rune shows the leverage rate being progressive then regressive. With a coil shock being very linear, you do feel this effect. Hsc on my CCdb has been the key factor as well as the right spring. I think you do need to have a little less sag than recommended for that longer duration of the leverage ratio to stay progressive. Hsc turned up one rotation also provides that support.

That being said, I love the coil so far. I have the lsc set to more open so for small pump compliance, it's relying on the spring more than the oil travelling through the shock. Just a little movement around the bike and the suspension will activate.

For climbs I'm very happy I have the climb switch. I tried this without the switch and I do wallow a lot. Rebound settings are really up to your liking. I have a faster hsr to recover faster after big hits and lsr at the middle settings.

I also think a coil has its place for a rune. I built mine to handle all mountain to park riding. Had I wanted to build it for trail and all mtn with a dabble of park riding I would have opted for a CCdb air. Where I live I have fire roads up and bomb descends so at times I opt to walk.

My last reason for coil was because I'm a heavy guy coming in at 220 lbs. no air shock really every felt great to me. The coil just has that solid feel that air shocks don't quite achieve for me.

I can report more when I'm fully tinkered with my new spring. What r your reasons for going coil? Maybe I already answered your questions.... Hope this helps
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by samty View Post
    @builttoride, or anyone else who can comment... what are the pros/cons of running a coil shock on the Rune V2 over air (aside from weight)? In some places I read that the suspension curve is more conducive to the characteristics of an air shock, however I see a few people running coil and am thinking about doing the same myself. Bad idea? Currently running the 2013 Fox CTD. Would be great if Keith could chime in on this! Thanks!
    Love the Blue Runes
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I specifically designed the rune to have an overall progression that sits in the area that works for both large volume air, and coil shocks. That said, I personally would recommend a coil shock with bottom out control, or that has been specifically tunes for the leverage. If you take one of the more linear coil shocks you'll find it hard to get the setup dialed in.

Pro's and con's. air is lighter and generally pedals better (partially due to stiction) coil offers more traction generally and is often more playful.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I specifically designed the rune to have an overall progression that sits in the area that works for both large volume air, and coil shocks. That said, I personally would recommend a coil shock with bottom out control, or that has been specifically tunes for the leverage. If you take one of the more linear coil shocks you'll find it hard to get the setup dialed in.

Pro's and con's. air is lighter and generally pedals better (partially due to stiction) coil offers more traction generally and is often more playful.
    Thanks for the response Keith! Still find it so rad that the guy who designed my bike responds to personal questions so quickly!! Wouldn't get that with the big companies...

Nice to hear that coil can work for the Rune too, provided the right shock is used. I still do a lot of climbing, but really ride for the down. Will have to weigh up my options, literally... The new CCDB Coil with CS seems like a good coil option, perhaps with a Ti spring. Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hey Junersun, your response helps, thanks. Your bike looks so stealth too, love it! Have you thought about running a Ti coil?

Main reasons I'm considering coil is wanting as much traction and compliance as possible, plus I've never had coil and always wanted to try! Riding here in BC is reasonably rough and air just doesn't feel like it keeps up with the trail - perhaps it's just the Fox CTD I have though. The CCDB coil with CS looks like a sweet option.

mtbr member
    Ti is next now that I know which spring I want. Didn't want to drop $200 on ti when I didn't know which spring rate I would need.

Yeah my riding is here in Washington so although not nearly as massive as BC I know what kind of terrain you're dealing with.

I've been on a ctd. It's def not for someone heavy like me again. There isn't much of a mid stroke support. And if you do get it, you have make it into a pogo stick. I think Avalanche has a good upgrade for you.

If you are climbing I would highly recommend a climb switch. CCdb, 11-6 and soon the fox will have it as well.
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    I also just slapped on the new maxxis wt tires so I need the ti springs to help lighten the load up a bit... :-P. First world problems
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I used to ride a Spitfire.

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-spitsnap.jpg

But now Im on a Rune

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-rune.jpg

mtbr member
    And should you be on a Darkside?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

mud junkie
    has anyone tried a Vivid Air R2C? Curious to know what tune (MM, ML, LL) and B (B1, B2) setting is right for the Rune.... Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystopism View Post
    I used to ride a Spitfire.

Name:	spitsnap.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	1030342

But now Im on a Rune

Name:	Rune.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	1030341
    OMG.. how did it happened?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky99 View Post
    OMG.. how did it happened?
    It snapped clean of when I landed this massive foot and a half drop. Last season i cracked a frame at exactly the same spot, so I bought a full on DH to take my worst riding. The Spitfire didn't last a season despite this. So this time I got a Rune on warranty that should hold up for my trail riding.

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-spitsnap.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the response Keith! Still find it so rad that the guy who designed my bike responds to personal questions so quickly!! Wouldn't get that with the big companies...

Nice to hear that coil can work for the Rune too, provided the right shock is used. I still do a lot of climbing, but really ride for the down. Will have to weigh up my options, literally... The new CCDB Coil with CS seems like a good coil option, perhaps with a Ti spring. Thanks for the input!
    The CCDB coil is one of the linear shocks Keith was referring to. The Rune's leverage curve works best with some kind of bottom out control, either from an air spring or a progressive damper, but most modern coil shocks seem to be doing away with bottom out control. I like my Vector HLR coil, and there may still be a few other new progressive coil options. If you're looking at used shocks, the 2013 or older RC4 is a good option.

Here's my rune

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb12821473/p5pb12821473.jpg

mtbr member
    Yep I agree with bengxe. I've had to turn up my hsc for that exact reason. Rubber bumper is about the only thing I have to bottom out control, I have yet to feel a harsh bottom out.

He is right about the leverage curve having that regressive bottom end. I just have yet to be concerned about it.

The climb switch is also a game changer for me since most of the single track requires me to pedal up for it.
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    So I was all ready to put a new Pike dual air and CCDB CS on my Rune and then I rode a friends Trance today. Hopped a on a bike to small and setup to soft for me and killed every climb I hit and it ripped the DH sections I hit. My current setup has a PUSHed 36float RC2 on it and a Float CTD. Is switching out the suspension on my Rune going to make that much of a difference? I am seriously considering moving on after riding the Trance.

I was on my Paradox when we swapped and I wasn't kind of sad to go back to it. Dam if the Trance didn't feel just a efficient as my HT even standing up mashing on it up climbs.

mtbr member
    I would compare the rune more to the reign than the trance... I think with modern engineering, each frame has their benefits and there is no right answer.

I don't think your fork will be any different than a pike if you've had it professionally tuned. I definitely think upgrading your CTD will change your bike.

But hey I have yet to go back to one particular brand myself, i appreciate the intent of the bike from any manufacturer. So far my rune feels like a DH geometry at an all mtn weight. Not diverging too far, my ibis was purchased because I wanted to pedal far but not worry about the down.

I've had to walk my rune a little more than usual but enjoy the downs much more. I believe I'm part of a group called POLP (people of less pride....)
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mud junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    So I was all ready to put a new Pike dual air and CCDB CS on my Rune and then I rode a friends Trance today. Hopped a on a bike to small and setup to soft for me and killed every climb I hit and it ripped the DH sections I hit. My current setup has a PUSHed 36float RC2 on it and a Float CTD. Is switching out the suspension on my Rune going to make that much of a difference? I am seriously considering moving on after riding the Trance.

I was on my Paradox when we swapped and I wasn't kind of sad to go back to it. Dam if the Trance didn't feel just a efficient as my HT even standing up mashing on it up climbs.

I had a small 2015 Trance SX for about 8 months and though it was very light (for me), climbed well, and playful (yeah) it was nowhere near my V2 Rune when pointed downwards or on rocky sections... The Rune is way more forgiving on rocky section and at high speeds... surprisingly (or maybe not) even on tight turns/ switchbacks...

Pike DPA is a piece of crap..too linear... at least for me when I had the Trance.. you're better of with the RC... Though Ethan at Maverick and a few others sell DPA tokens

Lastly, after extensive discussions with Banshee CS and Maverick swapped my Monarch Plus RC3 for a DB AIR CS and the performance is incomparable. Words can't describe the difference..haha! --- Having independent HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR do make a difference after all.

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-img_20141123_154412.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DarKmaN View Post
    Pike DPA is a piece of crap..too linear... at least for me when I had the Trance.. you're better of with the RC... Though Ethan at Maverick and a few others sell DPA tokens
    SRAM now make DPA tokens.
    Might look at getting some for mine when I should be healed up next year.

mtbr member
    I scored a CCDB air and swapped my 11spd drivetrain on last night since my HT is down for a bit. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it works. Likely take the same route I took Sunday and see how it feels back to back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here we go!

Frame: Rune 2016 Large
    Shock: CCDB Air
    Fork: Manitou Mattoc @170mm
    Wheels: DT 240s / Hope Pro 2 Flow EX 26"/ DT Supercompetition
    Crankset: XT 3x with 1x28T, old 36T as Bashguard
    Cassette: XT 11-36T
    R-Derailleur: Shimano Zee
    Brakes: Shimano XTR
    Tyres: Der Baron 2.5, Maxxis Minion DHR
    Pedals: Superstarcomponents TI
    Seatpost: Banshee
    Headset: WOrkscomponents -1deg
    Tubes: Schwalbe normal
    Stem: Syntace Superforce 2 45mm
    Handlebar: Syntace Vector Carbon 740mm
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
    Shifter: XT 10x
    Disc Rotors: Shimano (one below Ice Tec)

14,4kg

Frame weight without drop outs + bolts for the shock:
    3160g

incl. dropouts and axle
    3465g

incl. CCDB Air

Iscg adapter: 25g

Wheelbase: 121,7mm
    BB Height: 345mm

mtbr member
    Siiiick. How tall are ya? I got the same stem on mine and can't decide if I need longer. I'm 5'11"
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of low and slack, but what's the reason behind this? The 2016 is already suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper slack....

Quote Originally Posted by grazertourer View Post
    Headset: WOrkscomponents -1deg
    Edit:
    Alright, just saw that you're riding the dropouts in the high position... so you're trying to get a good balance between BB Height and FA?

mtbr member
    Oh snaps I didn't even notice that. I'm also interested in a ride report. That sounds pretty primo
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MindPatterns View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of low and slack, but what's the reason behind this? The 2016 is already suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper slack....

Edit:
    Alright, just saw that you're riding the dropouts in the high position... so you're trying to get a good balance between BB Height and FA?
    I think Martin did not want to get rid of his 26" wheels, but is not a big fan of low bb height.
    Plus, his Rune is more of his "Park weapon" as he also owns a Spitfire, so it is no mistake to have the Rune a bit slacker...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Okay, didn't notice the 26" Wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmX View Post
    I think Martin did not want to get rid of his 26" wheels, but is not a big fan of low bb height.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmX View Post
    Plus, his Rune is more of his "Park weapon" as he also owns a Spitfire, so it is no mistake to have the Rune a bit slacker...
    Exactly!
    I don't see a reason for 650b at the moment. My wheels are still ok and I have lots of 26" tyres at home. Moreover I prefer a slightly higher (345mm is not "high", btw...) BB.

I am 180cm tall and the L Rune fits perfectly fine - like the 2015 Spitfire in L that I have.

I'll write more about the bike after a couple of rides. What's new for me is the CCDB Air. I used to ride a Kage and Monarch+ before. After only one ride, the CCDB Air seems to be the best choice... IMHO the difference between my 2012 and 2016 Rune is not that big. It's a little longer, yes, but not so much that it makes a huge difference. All in all it's the same great bike as before with some minor improvements (for 650b riders mainly). I like it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've been riding the first and second iteration of the V2 and felt that the BB was too high when riding 650B. I hope that the new version justifies the money I'm going to spend Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by grazertourer View Post
    IMHO the difference between my 2012 and 2016 Rune is not that big. It's a little longer, yes, but not so much that it makes a huge difference. All in all it's the same great bike as before with some minor improvements (for 650b riders mainly). I like it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You will love it!

Max already mentioned that I have both, a Rune and a Spitfire. The wheelset of the Spitfire is 700g lighter (with tyres), the head angle is ~2deg steeper (66 vs 64) and the chainstays of the Spitty are a little bit longer. So it is a slightly better climber and it's not that much of a downhill machine as the Rune. The difference between the two is bigger than someone would expect (because of the head angle and the wheels). I thought a lot about getting a Darkside instead of the new Rune, but that would be too much of a compromise uphill... I think the Rune is potent enough for everything including (trail riding, bike parks...).

mtbr member
    Let me know how the high setting with the works angleset feels. I'm running 650b FYI. I'd like the chainstay to get shorter if possible and I imagine with the angleset, the bb drops a tad back down and maintains the slack HA. I think numbers wise you nailed it!
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    After the first ride I can tell you that it feels brilliant.
    Before I got the 2016 rune I had a 2013 Rune V2 with the drop outs at high and a -1,5deg head set, which felt perfect for me! After switching from a 160mm fork to 170mm, I installed a -1deg head set.

mtbr member
    Nice I may have to give that a try. I had such a bad experience with cane creeks angleset that I was turned away with going down that route....
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Building up a 2016, here's what I have so far..
    L gunmetal frame
    Shimano m8000 brakes
    Shimano m8000 11 speed (11-42) shifter, derailleur, cassette
    Atlas cinch cranks
    Atlas pedals
    Mrp xcg bashgaurd
    wolftooth 32 oval chainring
    cane creek 40 headset
    raceface bb

Getting..
    Atlas 50mm (35mm) stem
    Sixc 35mm bars
    Ergon seat

Undecided on fork, wheels, shock and dropper post but leaning towards
    170mm lyrik or dvo
    ccdb coil cs or dvo

mtbr member
    Nice choices on shock and fork. May I suggest 9.8 fallline dropper. It has been the best dropper I've had and I've tried several others.
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    I was going to get one but they're sold out until spring. Maybe I'll make due without on for now (yeah right) and wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have You tested the mattoc ? How does it feel ? Any comparison with Pike, fox 36 fit ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post

Can you or anyone else recommend a coil shock that would work best with rune?
    Someone mentioned that CCDB would be too linear and i know for a fact that RS Kage is too linear

mtbr member
    In a few days i can Tell a bit about the EXT Storia.
    Might be a good Choice for the Rune

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Any shock with progression built in (air pressure bottom out resistance) or position sensitive damping will work well. Most readily avaliable shock that matches would probably be fox RC4, but there are lots of good options out there.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm running a DVO Jade coil on the Rune with good results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    I'm running a DVO Jade coil on the Rune with good results.
    Off topic but I peeked at your instagram and was wondering how those wheels were holding up to the abuse, I've read mixed reviews.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They've been pretty good. Durability wise they've been on par with Flow EX and WTB i25. I don't run really low pressures, which really helps protect the rims. I usually run 32 rear and 29 front.

mtbr member
    First Build 2016 Rune, XL.
    Love it, looong and slack.
    Some Parts arme going To Be changed.

And my old 2015 Rune, was XL aswell

mtbr member
    What shock are you running?
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    EXT Storia

mtbr member
    Nice. Let me know how that feels. I've always been interested in that shock
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've been enjoying my Rune V2 for about 4 months. It has the CCDBCS with 27.5 wheels. Thinking about trying a 26 in the back since I have the drop outs and 27.5 in front. Has anyone try this? I just like experimenting. FYI, I also have a Nomad3 and both bikes rock. The Nomad does climb better but I'm assuming its because of the shock(Monarch Plus). I also demoed a Knolly Warden for a full day and it didn't feel very plush. Fiddled around with the Inline quite a bit throughout the day but it just didn't have the plushness of the Rune or Nomad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    I've been enjoying my Rune V2 for about 4 months. It has the CCDBCS with 27.5 wheels. Thinking about trying a 26 in the back since I have the drop outs and 27.5 in front. Has anyone try this? I just like experimenting. FYI, I also have a Nomad3 and both bikes rock. The Nomad does climb better but I'm assuming its because of the shock(Monarch Plus). I also demoed a Knolly Warden for a full day and it didn't feel very plush. Fiddled around with the Inline quite a bit throughout the day but it just didn't have the plushness of the Rune or Nomad.
    Im running 27,5/26 at the moment. Ive tried 29/26, 29/27,5 and 27,5/27,5. I found 27,5/26 best to my liking, short rear and not too high bb. My fork is old Lyrik at 170mm, tire is 2,25 Hans Dampf if someone is interested. Rear is at the slackest setting with a 2,3 Minion DHR 2, bb 346-347mm and Im using 26 dropouts. IMHO 26 tire in the back works fine compared to 27,5 but in the front I definitely prefer 27,5. BTW my frame is Xl V2.

Gloworm Lights

Xmas Rune

Finally she is finished. 2016 Rune L with lush DVO suspension and 35mm wide Halo Vapour Rims.

Not sure of the weight but dont really care. I can still pedal up the hill without any hassle then charge down a lot faster than I could with an air shock.

The rear wheel stays locked to the ground when I want it there and lifts off when I dont - its seriously playful.

If you're thinking about coil - do it!

I weigh 95kg with a 500lb spring on a DVO Jade Shock

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20151224_115452.jpg
    Gloworm Lights - 'Create Your Escape'
    High End LED Light Designer - New Zealand

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Sick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm Manufacture View Post
    Finally she is finished. 2016 Rune L with lush DVO suspension and 35mm wide Halo Vapour Rims.

Not sure of the weight but dont really care. I can still pedal up the hill without any hassle then charge down a lot faster than I could with an air shock.

The rear wheel stays locked to the ground when I want it there and lifts off when I dont - its seriously playful.

If you're thinking about coil - do it!

I weigh 95kg with a 500lb spring on a DVO Jade Shock

Name:	20151224_115452.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	1037622

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    so, any of you guys riding a MY2016 Banshee with the Monarch? Can someone point out the differences to the CCDB Air (except for the obviously missing tuning options) if any of you have ridden them both? Curious whether the Monarch ist capable of doing long and hard downloads... err... downhills! (stupid PS network...)
    Last edited by MindPatterns; 12-27-2015 at 03:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just put monarch plus (MY2015, non deboniar, L/L tune, XV can) on my Rune this weekend and gave it a good shakedown. Very plush with 28% sag, yet hard to bottom out. Good mid stroke support. I've also had monarch plus on previous bikes so i know it can take serious descends without issues. This weekends experience suggests the same.

Regular monarch would not fair well on long and hard downhills (i.e. shuttling or 2 hour big mountain descends). Shock will get noticeably harsher and lose rebound damping after you push it long and hard enough

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi All
    soon ill post my build, waiting for my frame banshee rune v2 cant wait for it.

Question what mounting hardware i need for dhx 5.0 ??

List of parts i have so far

Fox Talas 180-140
    Fox DHX 5.0 Air
    SLX Brakes
    ZTR Flow wheels HOPE Hubs
    RS Reverb
    Blackspire 808 HB
    X9 9 speed setup but will change for 10 spd

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Anyone got some ride impression of a 2016 Rune with an 170 mm Lyrik up front? Really tempted to get one since my Pike looks somewhat lost in this frame . Man this new iteration is really long and slack, loving it! Mint!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Pic please!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi
    Is this shock a good choice for banshee rune v2

Marzocchi Roco air TST R

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockefeler View Post
    Hi
    Is this shock a good choice for banshee rune v2

Marzocchi Roco air TST R

Thanks
    Note, I have never tried this shock, so have really no idea!
    But it should be an interesting choice... at least an original one, I guess!

Nonetheless, it has a large volume chamber, so it should be linear but it also has adjustable bottom out so you can tune end of travel.

Compression settings (shim stack) may be an issue.
    You may need to back of compression.
    If you can tune it (or can get someone to do it for you), it should not be a problem.

My current Monarch+ Debonair has L compression setting and it works ok.
    The previous shock was a non Debonair Monarch+ with M setting, I found it harsh.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tugamik View Post
    Note, I have never tried this shock, so have really no idea!
    But it should be an interesting choice... at least an original one, I guess!

Nonetheless, it has a large volume chamber, so it should be linear but it also has adjustable bottom out so you can tune end of travel.

Compression settings (shim stack) may be an issue.
    You may need to back of compression.
    If you can tune it (or can get someone to do it for you), it should not be a problem.

My current Monarch+ Debonair has L compression setting and it works ok.
    The previous shock was a non Debonair Monarch+ with M setting, I found it harsh.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!
    thanks i end up buiyng RS monarch rc3 2016

mtbr member
    Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-rune-snow-day.jpg

Gave the old girl some love recently. New Volt saddle, Spank trail295's on I9's, fresh rubber and a CCDB in back. Hoping to get a new fork before spring as well. Took it out Sunday and all the sketchy lines it was the weapon of choice. I cant believe I rode that CTD as long as I did, the CCDB totally changed the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Name:	Rune snow day.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	1043858

Gave the old girl some love recently. New Volt saddle, Spank trail295's on I9's, fresh rubber and a CCDB in back. Hoping to get a new fork before spring as well. Took it out Sunday and all the sketchy lines it was the weapon of choice. I cant believe I rode that CTD as long as I did, the CCDB totally changed the bike.
    Waiting for my 16Rune with CCDBCS, only rode my Frends with the Fox on it.Pleas tell me more about the differences.

mtbr member
    Its just a lot more adjustable. The CTD I never could get quite right so I just kind of dealt with it. CCDB start with the base tune and set sag and go from there. There's a lot of tuning info on their site as well.

I'd love to try a CS model but I'm pretty happy with the CCDB.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Name:	Rune snow day.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	1043858

Great lookin' bike! Ride on!

Still rippin Valhalla with my '09 Rune.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My Rune is two years old now and it is the first bike I own that hasnt developed a single issue no matter what i put it through. I travelled to so many places in Europe and to BC ... No worries, no creaks, unbelievable!

So I recently moved to an area that would be more suitable to a 120mm trail bike, but giving up on the Rune is not an option

Current build is 26", CCDB Air and a 160mm Pike.

Has anybody tuned his Rune into something like a trailbike?
    I wonder how I could get a little more "pop" and playfulness in easier/flat terrain.
    Change the CCDB Air to a Monarch+ or something like that?
    Maybe even a 150mm fork?

Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I do something like that during the winter months when I'm stuck riding the lower elevation flatter trails. I go from a 170mm vengeance to a 140mm sektor, a coil vector hlr to a monarch r, a stans flow front wheel to a crest, and lighter tires front and rear. I leave it in the low slack setting to keep it from feeling too steep, so I run very little sag in the back to keep the bb up. It makes the reach noticeably longer so you may want a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    I really try to trail ride my Rune and almost dumped it awhile back but I really do like it. I'm planning on trying a Pike Dual air, hoping that it makes it more fun as a trailbike. I already have a light wheelset for everything but park riding and that made a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Picked up a 2015 Rune last month from Jenson's. This is my first REAL MTB, so far I love it!

• RockShox Pike RCT3 27.5", Solo Air, 160mm
    • Cane Creek 40 ZS 44/56
    • Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
    • Race Face Aeffect 27.5 wheels
    • SRAM Guide R
    • SRAM GX trigger shifter
    • SRAM GX 11-speed Rear Derailleur
    • Race Face Ride crank 1x, 175mm, 32t narrow wide
    • SRAM XG-1150, 10-42t
    • SRAM PCX1 11-speed chain
    • Race Face Ride handlebar (31.8 x 710mm )
    • SDG Falcon Saddle
    • Schwalbe Nobby Nics
    • 125mm Reverb Stealth

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Sweet ride! Hold on tight and enjoy the ride, my friend...

I'm eyeballing a new one but I refuse to let go of my '09... Two of em will be awesome.
    Keeping the '09 set me 4x and the new one to be more AM/backcountry oriented.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi guys,

I have owned a 2014 Banshee Rune for a few months now and it is an absolute blast to ride downhill.

However...when it comes to going up I find there to be a fair bit of pedal bob from the suspension. Is this normal? Any reviews I read of this frame seemed to indicate that it was a pretty good pedalling frame (or at least as good as a 160mm bike can be) but I find that anything other than going downhill is a real pain to do.

I've fiddled around with the shock settings - I suspect that I have not managed to get these right because the CCDBA that I have on there does not currently live up to its reputation - without much joy. Flipping the climb switch seems to make absolutely no difference either.

A friend of mine is a suspension designer (for rally and road race cars) and he has taken the shock apart and fully checked and serviced it and tells me it is internally fine so I am stumped.

I really don't want to get rid of the frame as it is awesome downhill and I feel that it should be fine when I want to pedal too!

sorry for the long post, would love to hear some opinions

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    When I ran an air shock I rarely used the climb mode because I felt it climbed well without it. I now run a coil and feel it still doesn't bob too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What bikes are you comparing it to? No 160mm bike is going to climb like an xc bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avfc_66 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have owned a 2014 Banshee Rune for a few months now and it is an absolute blast to ride downhill.

However...when it comes to going up I find there to be a fair bit of pedal bob from the suspension. Is this normal? Any reviews I read of this frame seemed to indicate that it was a pretty good pedalling frame (or at least as good as a 160mm bike can be) but I find that anything other than going downhill is a real pain to do.

I've fiddled around with the shock settings - I suspect that I have not managed to get these right because the CCDBA that I have on there does not currently live up to its reputation - without much joy. Flipping the climb switch seems to make absolutely no difference either.

A friend of mine is a suspension designer (for rally and road race cars) and he has taken the shock apart and fully checked and serviced it and tells me it is internally fine so I am stumped.

I really don't want to get rid of the frame as it is awesome downhill and I feel that it should be fine when I want to pedal too!

sorry for the long post, would love to hear some opinions

I worked on getting mine to climb better and the CCDBA has everything you need to remove the pedal bob. The fact the climb switch does nothing at all make me think there might be a issue with the LSC/ LSR circuit. IIRC the climb switch adds a bunch of both to firm up the shock. If that's not happening its possible the LSC/LSR circuit isn't working right all the time. That's the side that affects pedal input the most.

You did tune it to the base tune to start tuning it correct? Have you tried tuning in more LSC and more LSR to see if it takes away some bob?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20160129-_nik5511.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20160129-_nik5516.jpg

Filially finished my build

Frame - Banshee Rune v2 2014
    Headset - Nukeproofe
    Stem - Renthal Duo
    Fork - FOX Talas 36 180 - 140
    Shock - RS Monarch RC3+ Debonair
    Crank - SLX + BB
    Chainguide - E13
    Chainring - E13 32T
    Brakes - SLX
    Wheels - ZTR Flow on HOPE Pro Evo 2
    Flats - Straitline De Facto
    Saddle - specialized romin 143
    Seatpost - RS Reverb
    Cassette - SRAM + E13 42
    Mech and Shifter ZEE + SLX Shadow +
    HB - Blackspire 780 + ODI BMX Longneck grips
    Last edited by Rockefeler; 02-06-2016 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Sweet ride! Hold on tight and enjoy the ride, my friend...

I'm eyeballing a new one but I refuse to let go of my '09... Two of em will be awesome.
    Keeping the '09 set me 4x and the new one to be more AM/backcountry oriented.
    Thanks! You can never have too many bikes, jus do it.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    You're welcome, miacevedo!

It's another project lining up for the collective. The '09 behaves so well, I can only imagine the V2's are just as well behaved.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by miacevedo View Post
    Picked up a 2015 Rune last month from Jenson's. This is my first REAL MTB, so far I love it!

• RockShox Pike RCT3 27.5", Solo Air, 160mm
    • Cane Creek 40 ZS 44/56
    • Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
    • Race Face Aeffect 27.5 wheels
    • SRAM Guide R
    • SRAM GX trigger shifter
    • SRAM GX 11-speed Rear Derailleur
    • Race Face Ride crank 1x, 175mm, 32t narrow wide
    • SRAM XG-1150, 10-42t
    • SRAM PCX1 11-speed chain
    • Race Face Ride handlebar (31.8 x 710mm )
    • SDG Falcon Saddle
    • Schwalbe Nobby Nics
    • 125mm Reverb Stealth
    Has anybody else bought this build off of Jenson USA or does anybody have any thoughts about it? Here is the link:

Banshee Rune Jenson GX 2015 Bike > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

Its really tempting because of the price but one of my concerns is the wheel set. I'm not sure the Raceface Aeffect wheels are too light duty for regular all mountain use. It also doesn't come with a dropper but even adding that one it seems like a pretty decent deal.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been running a 2013 DBAir with stock can for three years now. It's temping to go for some of the new coilers, but why buy into the hype and fix really nothing except add significant weight. This old reliable shock+Rune can slay 20 minute Whistler Garbo runs all day long and not even flinch.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmack View Post
    Has anybody else bought this build off of Jenson USA or does anybody have any thoughts about it? Here is the link:

Its really tempting because of the price but one of my concerns is the wheel set. I'm not sure the Raceface Aeffect wheels are too light duty for regular all mountain use. It also doesn't come with a dropper but even adding that one it seems like a pretty decent deal.

Thanks!
    Interested in info as well, seems like a killer deal
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Trek Fuel 9.8 27.5
    2017 Trek Domane SL6 Pro
    2017 Trek Crockett

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmack View Post

Thanks!
    Don't forget active junky for another 6% (roughly $150!) back on the purchase. Crazy deals.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Short question on the Rune and Monarch plus...

My MY2016 Rune came with a Monarch plus with small airchamber... I had the V2 with CCDBAir und liked the Overall feel, but wanted a little more simplicity and less wieght on the new Rune.
    However, the small airchamber ist just... hm... tooo small? it is nearly impossible to use all of the travel right now, despite having 35% SAG.

Should I go for the High Volume aircan, or take the Debonair (which I believe is the biggest of the 3)?

Members who have read this thread: 166