Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,600 of 3163
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    so you can easily give us the BB height for comparison and future builds

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just to set the record straight here, when I went from 26" to 650b on my spitfire using the same fork (Vengeance) my BB height increased by 6mm.

But you need to consider that I went from 2.35 scwalbe tires to 2.3" maxxis. There are always lots of factors to consider if you want exact numbers.

I would seriously urge you not to get caught up in the numbers. Bikes are to be ridden and for having fun on... you can do this with any wheel size, so just ride your bike and enjoy whatever setup you have. Every wheel size has it's own advantages.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    As I said works well with both.
    But I will measure mine for you MalcolmX.
    BB Height that is
    Do you want it from the bottom of the BB To the floor with recommended sagg?

mtbr member
    Wow I just wanted to know if riders felt it was a noticeable change or not really worth It from people that rode it both ways. I know what the numbers are. I'd borrow a friends wheels and try them but no one has a 20mm ft hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I would only change if your wheels need replacing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Regarding effectvie bb height, just measured mine.
    With 650b wheels, Pike at front, lowest setting on the rear and 2.35 Schwalbes: 360mm.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Anyone know where to get a new front shock bolt? Found a nice bend to mine while swapping out shocks last night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker9109 View Post
    Anyone know where to get a new front shock bolt? Found a nice bend to mine while swapping out shocks last night.
    Think most shops should carry these. Mine was the exact same as on a couple of my other bikes, so figure they're pretty stock.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Probably you can get something that will work in a normal hardware store...

Strange that you bent the front shock bolt not the rear one... that one is weeker imho...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anyone ever (demo) ridden the new Transition Patrol? Any thoughts on Rune vs. Patrol?
    Actually I've planned to go for the Patrol in autumn, when new frames will arrive, but I'm not blind for adequate alternatives - like the Rune?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Bought this a few months ago. Haven't had too much time to ride it until recently. Took it (alongside my big boy DH bike) on last weekend's extended weekend in B.C.. Ended up riding my Rune more than my DH bike in the park as well as outside the park (Ride Don't Slide), as well as allowed me to climb up to the top of the MacKenzie area in Pemberton to ride down Gravatron/Gravatrout to Overnight Sensation. Good times were had. I should note, that it handles our local DH tracks (Thrillium, Black Rock) well too!

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20150627-rune-whistler-fitz-chair.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20150628_rune-una-moss-whistler.jpgBanshee Rune V2 Build Thread-20150629_pemberton.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

650b wheels in 26" droupts revisited

I've just changed the droputs on my Rune from 650b (142x12 first version) to 26" (142x12 revised version) in order to try the bike out with shorter chainstays and 650b wheels. I really like it but on the contrary to numreous posts here on MTBR I have very little clearance / occasional drive-side tire rub even with 2.2 tires.
    Does anyone else experience this? I'm running Stan's Flow Ex and the only tire I've been able to fit is Conti Mountain King 2.2. It seems that the wheel is sligthly tilted to the driveside, it's freshly off the trueing stand though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xav# View Post
    I've just changed the droputs on my Rune from 650b (142x12 first version) to 26" (142x12 revised version) in order to try the bike out with shorter chainstays and 650b wheels. I really like it but on the contrary to numreous posts here on MTBR I have very little clearance / occasional drive-side tire rub even with 2.2 tires.
    Does anyone else experience this? I'm running Stan's Flow Ex and the only tire I've been able to fit is Conti Mountain King 2.2. It seems that the wheel is sligthly tilted to the driveside, it's freshly off the trueing stand though...
    Hi.

I had a similar experience. I've tried the 26'' dropouts with 27,5 wheels to keep a short chainstay. Even after dishing the wheel to the non-drive side, there was rub with the tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi guys, how are your bearings holding up? Three months ago i bought my Rune and have been riding it a lot in that time. Much to my dismay, I noticed that frame developed play on the upper linkage. I checked all bolts, everything is tight (within reason, since it requires ONLY 5 NM). Is it possible that i busted my bearings so soon?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How much is a lot?
    I have had mine for about 3 years, I ride it 4-5 hours per week in average and the bearings are still good...so unless you have put more than 500 hours of riding on it in 3 months, it is not normal... are you sure about the 5Nm?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    10-15 hours over the week and all day big mountain rides and shuttles over the weekend for 2 months. Quite a bit less on the third month.
    I didn't touch the bolts on the new frame, only tightened them a bit yesterday to see if they came loose. Frame developed play few weeks ago, but i didn't have time to check it until yesterday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Might also be play that's coming from the bushings. Specially if you're running a CCDB Air with their default bushings, they're known to give up early. You might want to look into that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Have you checked exactly where the play is coming from.

It could be the DU bushing.

Other likely location if between shock hardware and the shock bolt (not where the bushing is) at the back (where shock bolts into the rear triangle). This is a very easy fix, just buy a roll of PTFE tape (Plumbers tape) and wrap the shock bolt thread where the hardware makes contact. This will eliminate any play in this location.

If it is from a pivot, it may just be that some grit or something got in there when it was slightly loose. I recommend taking the axle out of that pivot cleaning everything, regreasing and reassembling. That will likey remove any issue.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Bushings are fine, shock is X-Fusion O2X. Play is on one of the linkages. I thought i isolated it to the upper linkage, but now i'm not so sure. I'll take the frame apart later in the day and clean it to be sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok, I just took apart the frame and checked every bolt and bearing. Play did actually come from the shock bushing. I cleaned all bearings and axles and regreased them.
    Now that i know where the play is coming from it doesn't bother me as much

Here is the photo of the offender.
    Since this photo it got new riser Atlas handlebars and Lyrik got upped to 170mm of travel. Thanks for the tips and cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Any recommendations for a new fork. I'm running 26" X 2.5 wheels 20mm TA, selection appears to be limited. It's mostly a mini DH/Park bike so at least 170mm. Can I run a 650b fork with 26" wheel, maybe the 2016 Fox Float 650b RC2 170mm? Fox website doesn't mention AtoC or offset, will this likely be too raked out? And what position should you set the flip chips for a longer fork? Thx

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My every day bike is the Rune with a RC 55 which is 170 and I love it. That being said I traded my DH bike with a friends bike for a run and his 160 pike felt amazing even through the counter at trestle. Plus it is a full pound lighter then the 55 Titanium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm really loving my MRP Stage fork.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-image.jpg
    Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-image.jpg

Finally got mine sort if finished. I might go with a chain guide and I'll probably try my bos fork and shock on it also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by djball View Post
    Any recommendations for a new fork. I'm running 26" X 2.5 wheels 20mm TA, selection appears to be limited. It's mostly a mini DH/Park bike so at least 170mm. Can I run a 650b fork with 26" wheel, maybe the 2016 Fox Float 650b RC2 170mm? Fox website doesn't mention AtoC or offset, will this likely be too raked out? And what position should you set the flip chips for a longer fork? Thx
    I've got 26 wheels with 2.5 Butchers, and I've recently put a 27.5 Fox 36 170mm on it. Absolutely amazing. I've been using it at the Whistler Park and it feels close to a full DH rig in the front. I added one blue spacer to prevent bottom out and it's as good as I could ever hope for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks PW... good to know that it works, probably a good call for long term. I was also thinking about the 26" Float RC2 180 which can be reduced to 170mm, but yeah 27.5 is a safer investment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Re 142 Qr axle, I'm looking for easy mount of rear wheel without using tools.

There are many axle Qr types , what should I look for? What's name of the type of Qr axle?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Rockshox 12x142 maxle fits fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    OK thanks, no need for end cap?

mtbr member
    Nope
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Rune V3

I've heard the V3 is a bit longer, bit lower (for 27.5 only), and I've seen tiny colour examples, but that's all I know. Anyone seen a catalogue or have any info on the 2016s?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulWatt View Post
    I've heard the V3 is a bit longer, bit lower (for 27.5 only), and I've seen tiny colour examples, but that's all I know. Anyone seen a catalogue or have any info on the 2016s?
    2016 banshee bikes, rune, spitfire, paradox, darkside, legend, amp, prime | Shropshire Hills Mountain Bike and Outdoor Pursuit Centre

mtbr member
    Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-1-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Has anyone ran a Vivid Air with success on their Rune? If so what tune is recommended?

mtbr member
    More like a weapon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Very nice! What rims are you running?

mtbr member
    wtb i25 laced to Hope Pro 2 hubs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Love the angles on the Rune.
    Such an aggressive looking bike!

mtbr member
    Hey Keith is this frame up to using a 180mm fork for park riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd recomend a darkside with shorter 8.5x2.5" shock (to give 164mm rear travel) and 180mm fork for that type of riding... better suited and made for the abuse.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-img_0998.jpg

First ride:

Came off an 13' SB-66 w/ '14 RS Vivid Air R2C, couldn't believe the difference the RUiNEr made.

Rear setup was a little too firm but it rode very aggressive. Bike loves to CHARGE.

Wrecked super hard before my final descent...still no idea how it happened, kind of a freak accident of sorts. Then a torrential South Carolina downpour. Rode through the thick rain, bruised and bloodied, but still managed to have some fun.

Patched myself.

Second ride:

Climbing. Somehow easier than the SB, not sure how that's possible, the techy stuff at least.

Descended (through another downpour, this only for 10 minutes or so) and had an amazing time. Large Rune opposed to SB had such better fit to my 6"1' semi bird man frame.

Looking to upgrade to a new fork or convert my fork from U-Turn to Air...can't decide.

Glad to be part of the crew, Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It's funny how well it climbs, it goes to show how it's not all just weight. The Rune feels like mine climbs equal to my old '12 RIP9, which has better traditional climbing characteristics.

mtbr member
    Anyone convert their rear shock bushings to bearings? What kit or parts did you use? I've got a Fox CTD trail adjust and every time I hit the bike park the rear bushing has play at the end of the day.

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by countrygravy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	1009174

First ride:

Came off an 13' SB-66 w/ '14 RS Vivid Air R2C, couldn't believe the difference the RUiNEr made.

Rear setup was a little too firm but it rode very aggressive. Bike loves to CHARGE.

Wrecked super hard before my final descent...still no idea how it happened, kind of a freak accident of sorts. Then a torrential South Carolina downpour. Rode through the thick rain, bruised and bloodied, but still managed to have some fun.

Patched myself.

Second ride:

Climbing. Somehow easier than the SB, not sure how that's possible, the techy stuff at least.

Descended (through another downpour, this only for 10 minutes or so) and had an amazing time. Large Rune opposed to SB had such better fit to my 6"1' semi bird man frame.

Looking to upgrade to a new fork or convert my fork from U-Turn to Air...can't decide.

Glad to be part of the crew, Cheers!

I've said it before and I will say it again. The Rune V2/KS-link suspension climbs ridiculously well. I have ridden it side by side with other popular AM/Enduro rigs and it out-pedals them all. It out climbs every similar bike I have owned or demoed over the last 10 years.

The only downside to the Rune is it's weight. It will weigh 2.5-3 lbs more than a comparative build on a carbon bike eg. a Nomad. A carbon version of the Rune would blow away pretty much every big travel AM/Enduro bike out there as the alloy one dusts most of them despite it's girth.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    TBH my Rune is lighter than a few of my friends trail bikes. A hair over 31lbs in trail form and 34lbs 8oz with DH tires. I'm not really a weight weanie but its got carbon bars and XO1 cranks but that's it for light parts. I have no issue with the weight of the bike, actually I care more that I can ride and not worry about it breaking.

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    TBH my Rune is lighter than a few of my friends trail bikes. A hair over 31lbs in trail form and 34lbs 8oz with DH tires. I'm not really a weight weanie but its got carbon bars and XO1 cranks but that's it for light parts. I have no issue with the weight of the bike, actually I care more that I can ride and not worry about it breaking.
    My bike is 32 lbs with the only real weight concessions being a set of SixC cranks and carbon wheels. The wheels though are not any lighter than most average alloy ones though as I have a DH lay up on mine so they clock in at around 1800g.

When I compared my Rune directly to a high end Nomad, it out climbed the Nomad. I did not really notice the weight difference between the two bikes other than picking them up in the parking lot. Definitely not performance-wise.

The weight has never been an issue, but I have to wonder if I would notice any real differences with the bike being lighter. A friend of mine just went from a Banshee Prime (which he loved) to a Evil Following and dropped a couple of pounds in weight. I look forward to seeing how it plays out for him.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Indeed, it climbs well.

The weight is not issue. For example, my Rune has 1kg tires, tubes, 203mm discs on front and rear. Saint cranks..everything Saint, no weight wennie nor carbon stuffs.

It weighs around 14kg . not shabby as other said, I focus on riding hard without worrying about parts being broken. Also the frame is stiff as hell. Worth extra weight.

Would not trust a carbon frame, it has issues, say, UV expose, scratches. Aluminium keeps price low!

The frame is dialed and I ride it until it dies. 26" FTW!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Forgot to mention that I set up the sag better on my second ride. Supple and controlled. I feel like some sort of paid-to-review "journalist!" This frame is just a little ridiculous...

Thoughts on these?

Mattoc Pro (Red of course) 26" or 27.5" upgrade? Planning on running 26" for a while then switching later on...

-or-

MRP Stage...it's about 30% more expensive and I'd have to save up for a couple months, also doesn't help that I'm running a 20mm front hub right now!

Currently running 2012 Lyrik RC2DH w/ U-Turn coil...

I love opinions on upgrades, lay em on!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Forgot to mention that I set up the sag better on my second ride. Supple and controlled. I feel like some sort of paid-to-review "journalist!" This frame is just a little ridiculous...

Thoughts on these?

Mattoc Pro (Red of course) 26" or 27.5" upgrade? Planning on running 26" for a while then switching later on...

-or-

MRP Stage...it's about 30% more expensive and I'd have to save up for a couple months, also doesn't help that I'm running a 20mm front hub right now!

I just switched to a Mattoc Pro, and really like it so far.
    I went for the 27.5" Version (you never know what's next)...

@tomasis: are you sure about the weight?
    Mine sits at 14.7kg (around 32 pounds) with a resonably light build:
    Mattoc Pro fork, Hope Pro2/Spank 28 Evo/CX Ray Wheels, Maxxis Minion DHR2 2.4 tires, SLX 203/180mm disc, SLX Crank, fairly light pedals, Race Face Atlas Cockpit,...
    14 kg would be quite surprising with only Saint stuff and no other weight weenie stuff...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am waiting for the new Lyrik in Sept/Oct. Going to run it at 160 on my Spitfire, but with an air shaft change could do 170/180 for a new frame down the road. If that happens, I'll be prepared.

I have a couple buddies with Mattocs and they rave about them. For me, its a Lyrik or 36 for my next fork, mostly for chassis stiffness. Haven't read about the Diamond, Mattoc, or Stage matching the stiffness of Lyrik or 36.

Annnnd, I would really go 27.5 on a new fork, I am slow to change, but even I don't want to lock myself in 26.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Malcomx,

not running a dropper post might be the reason for lower weight than usual. I look forward to try Orbea mechanical "dropper" post.

I removed the chainguard when I switched to 32t in front. The cassette is not like 11x45 as everyone runs, im going reduce it to 6speed 11x32.

Rear shock Bos Vipr2 240gr, 30mm stem syntace Megaforce. Maybe in weight wennie ballpark but those are exceptions.

Wheelset is 2kg.

Less is more, I guess

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Thoughts on these?

-or-

Unless you plan on switching to bigger wheels, don't switch forks. That Lyrik is hell of a fork

Quote Originally Posted by tomasis View Post
    -cut-
    Still, that weight sounds like science fiction.
    I'm running dropper, coil lyrik, o2x shock, xt/slx drivertrain, 1800g wheelset, and 900g tires and i'm at 15.5 kilos.

No way that with full saint and 2kg wheelset are you around 14 kilos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Prob a bit above 14kg, last time I weighed, I got 14.5kg with different setup.

Į dont run dropper post and fork is air. It's easy drop sub 14kg though.

Not that I care. I rather focus on functional components.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Still lovin' it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've always wanted an excuse to put a coil on the back and transform my rune from a 650b trail bike into a 26" downhill slayer. Your setup looks badass ^^^^

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice one, how's the wheelset holding up? Is the oozy strong enough for the daily gnar? Thinking about switching from the Hope Enduro WS to the oozy295, loving the weight and the wider rim bed...

Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    Still lovin' it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks. I've found the coil handles the high speed chatter much better that the air shocks I've tried. The coil setup is only 192g heavier than my CCDBA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The rims have been great so far. I've been riding them quite hard. I just put a dent in the rear, but it was because I got a hole in the tire and was probably below 5 psi. I heard it ping off a few rocks and didn't stop until I finished the DH, so I'd say the dent is totally my fault. I believe they were heavier than advertised though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Anyone have a spare slack flipchip? i lost one on the way to the US and i really don't want to buy a whole new set.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

ISIS Bottom bracket

Hi guys and gals,

As proud new owner of a orange rune v2, I am gathering stuff for the build:

I have an old/trusty race face turbine microdrive (94/58 BCD) crank (34t/20t) isis with 113mm signature xs bottom bracket that i would like to use. I would not like to change it yet - as it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if I could fit an 113mm bottom bracket instead of 118 listed in specs ? Would there be any clearance issues ?

Maybe something obvious someone can spot on the images (link below) ?

Keith ?

I still do not have my wheels and the front derailleur (going to be FD-M665-E), as i am waiting for the 142/12mm adapters for american classic hubs...

Some images of the crank fitted:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1141874...14393215162162

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The ISIS BB length needs to match the requirements of the cranks and the width of the BB. Normally the BB will say what width BB shell it is designed for on it.

The rune has a 73mm BB, so as long as the BB is designed to work with the cranks, and says it is also designed for a 73mm BB shell you should be OK.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank You for quick reply!

Yes, the BB is 73/113 and it is designed to work with this turbine crank, chainline is fully adjustable. What worries me is the clearance of the chainstays. I have tried clipping in the shoes to check the smallest clearance and its really close - I would say few mm.

Whats the smallest recommended Q Factor for the cranks used on rune ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As Long as the cranks have minimum of 5mm clearance from the chainstays you should be good. but heal clearance depends on pedal choice, shoe size and foot clearance, so that call is up to you.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    i know on my rune, with my pedals, cranks etc the heel clearance y really low, my stays are all scuffed up by the rubber from the 5/10

Keith one question, Would sandblasting the frame void the warranty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You shouldn't sandblast an alloy frame.
    They need to be beadblasted instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    i know on my rune, with my pedals, cranks etc the heel clearance y really low, my stays are all scuffed up by the rubber from the 5/10
    Mine are as well with XO cranks and Chromag Contacts. I don't really notice my feet hitting it but they obviously do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SupervillainX View Post
    You shouldn't sandblast an alloy frame.
    They need to be beadblasted instead.
    Or soda blasted? Or is that the same thing? Getting ready to do an alloy frame this winter. Need to do a lot of research tho...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As blasting your frame is no longer controlled by us, it voids manufacturing warranty. sorry.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Can any of you guys measute your cranks q factor? And maybe post a photo with a shoes clipped in - placed horizontally farthest to the back.

My turbine lp with 113mm isis is 168mm. I could switch to 118 for 173 (+2.5 per side)

I have a large feet 11.5 (46-47eu) so I smell trouble on mine :-/ Coming from 5spot with 175mm chainstay width to 190mm on rune...

How does the pictures compare with yours ?

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-5ecb619cdc1bcef6c94a9b9fae005805.jpg

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-c59aade2599f4b99afbb93648fc0df3b.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    all I can say: I have the same issue on my 29" hardtail, but never any major problems with the Rune or Darkside... sure it does rub sometimes, so I put a Piece of tape there...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ryando View Post
    More like a weapon.
    Name:  1007989d1439354390t-banshee-rune-v2-build-thread-image.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  86.5 KB

Great pic, I have a hard time getting a good photo of my stealth frame, trying to capture one when it is especially muddy.
    Last edited by MAGPIE!!!; 09-11-2015 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Good old Austria

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So, I have a shock related question. I was running Xfusion o2x on my rune and the shock fell apart. While warranty is being processed, I'm running rockshox kage (same tune but a bit firmer spring) and I do not like the feeling at all!
    Regardless of how the warranty plays out, I'm gonna need a new shock (xfusions durability is disappointing).
    I prefer air shock feeling over coil and I wonder which one might feel the best?
    CCDB is out of the question unfortunately, because i can't get it serviced in my area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shoshy View Post
    So, I have a shock related question. I was running Xfusion o2x on my rune and the shock fell apart. While warranty is being processed, I'm running rockshox kage (same tune but a bit firmer spring) and I do not like the feeling at all!
    Regardless of how the warranty plays out, I'm gonna need a new shock (xfusions durability is disappointing).
    I prefer air shock feeling over coil and I wonder which one might feel the best?
    CCDB is out of the question unfortunately, because i can't get it serviced in my area.
    Fox Float X2 it is then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My V2 built

Banshee Rune V2 Build Thread-rune_.jpg

I took that photo in early January, since that I changed pedals on Shimano XT. It's my fourth bike and I can say that it's the best bike I ever owned.

mtbr member
    Ok I've gone through about 20 or so pages starting from the newest and I've given up on finding something. I'm really interested in either getting an 11-6 or a CC DB COIL cs on a rune. Has anyone messed with either (or coil in general)? With the leverage curve being opposite of a VPP design, would this just blow through the end stroke and give me hard bottom outs?
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I would stick with a coil with an adjustable boost valve pressure. I have a Jade on mine, and it works fine with the boost valve at max pressure.

mtbr member
    hmm I"m not familiar with what an adjutable boost valve is. Are you talking about HSC/LSC settings? both 11-6 and CCDB will have that.

Thanks for your advice.
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

Mr. Knowitall
    Boost valve is a position sensitive valve Fox had on their shocks until 2015. All tuners threw it out, and finally Fox also did for 2016. Jade or other good shocks do not have this crap

Sent fra min E6553 via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was referring to the user adjustable piggyback pressure. The Fox marketing sorcery is still stuck in my head. Basically if you run a coil you want it to be as progressive as possible.

mtbr member
    Hey I"m working up a build right now. I'm going with a fox 36 170mm right now. Is it correct for me to run in the slackest mode to get me the geo of a 160mm in the neutral setting?

Any advice would be greatly considered. Thanks and I can't wait to join the banshee fam. pictures to follow!
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    Hey I"m working up a build right now. I'm going with a fox 36 170mm right now. Is it correct for me to run in the slackest mode to get me the geo of a 160mm in the neutral setting?

Any advice would be greatly considered. Thanks and I can't wait to join the banshee fam. pictures to follow!
    Doesn't quite work like that.

1. 160 fork, neutral setting
    2. Add 170 fork, HA a tad slacker, BB a tad higher
    3. Go to slack chip setting
    4. BB lower again, but HA even slacker

So...that scenario might net you similar BB height but slacker HTA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Hi.

The geo specs of the rune are measured with 545mm axle to crown fork.
    Compare that with the specs on your fork.

Anyway, going for a slacker HA is not a bad thing.
    But increasing the SA may be, if you are goinf to use the bike to go uphill

Cheers

mtbr member
    True but I think I'm liking what you're telling me. slack HA is very good for me for my location and what the rune will be seeing. On my ibis HD3 i shoved an angleset on there to slack the HA to 65 and it was just starting to feel good. a little slacker will only help me...

can't wait.

I'm also going to be ordering a large. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I'm assuming a 150mm dropper post will fit right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post

Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    You should be fine with a 150mm dropper

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    True but I think I'm liking what you're telling me. slack HA is very good for me for my location and what the rune will be seeing. On my ibis HD3 i shoved an angleset on there to slack the HA to 65 and it was just starting to feel good. a little slacker will only help me...

can't wait.

I'm also going to be ordering a large. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I'm assuming a 150mm dropper post will fit right?
    You sold the ibis? I'm thinking of going from a large rune to the ibis hd3. The light weight and climbing ability are really looking good on that bike. Also you ride a size large? Ibis sizing chart puts me on a medium. I'm same height as you but with a 34.5" inseam. But I'd definitely be putting wide bars and real short stem on. What's your thoughts on the hd3 and what kind of terrain are you riding it on?

mtbr member
    HD3's DW link is INSANE on the climbs. The power transfer on it is almost as good as my hardtail (NS Eccentric ALU). The HT was the reason why I got rid of my HD3. I live in Seattle and the rides I do are pretty clear cut where I need a pedaller and where I'd prefer a downhiller. I'm either climbing up a fireroad to do some 20-40% grade downhills.

My perfect reach number including the stem is just under 500 mm so that's what I typically shoot for. With my hd3, I should have gone with an XL! They make their frame sizes on the smaller end. I recommend a large for you without a doubt (maybe XL?). I was also running 780 handlebars.

I used the HD3 on everything from chunky rock gardens, off camber roots, 6 foot drops to 10 foot gaps. I hope that helps make your decision. One thing I can't emphasize enough is their customer service. They were on point and immediate on any issues or questions I had.

Also, go with the X2 shock. I blew through the inline with all the volume spacers I could shove in there. My 2 cent. PM me if you have any other questions.

Back to the Rune.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk77 View Post
    You sold the ibis? I'm thinking of going from a large rune to the ibis hd3. The light weight and climbing ability are really looking good on that bike. Also you ride a size large? Ibis sizing chart puts me on a medium. I'm same height as you but with a 34.5" inseam. But I'd definitely be putting wide bars and real short stem on. What's your thoughts on the hd3 and what kind of terrain are you riding it on?
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

krj
    mtbr member

can't wait.

I think a 125 mm dropper should be Enough , at l'est for me being 5.11 with a largo rune it rocks

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I guess we'll see what happens. Pulled the trigger on the 9point8 fall line dropper! Preying for that maintenance free long lasting post we all dream about!
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Is anyone running a CCDB coil on their Rune? What have you found to be a good setting? Also if you have settings, what's your weight and terrain?

I'm thinking if there aren't any users, that I would start with the CCDB air base tune?
    Current Bikes

2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks Junersun. That helps a lot. I live in Spokane and ride a lot of jumps and drops at beacon hill but I also climb all over beacon and mt Spokane. I do have a downhill bike that I take to silver mountain bike park. But I still like to ride same stuff on my trail bikes. Conundrum!

Yep back to the rune! I love my rune! Just wish it was about 5lbs lighter I guess...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is anyone running a CCDB coil on their Rune? What have you found to be a good setting? Also if you have settings, what's your weight and terrain?

I'm thinking if there aren't any users, that I would start with the CCDB air base tune?
    Cane Creek has listed a Basetune for the Rune with CCDB Coil in their database.

HSC 2
    LSC 12
    HSR 2
    LSR 12
    from fully open...

mtbr member
    If you read below that tune they say the coil has not been tested to establish a baseline...

Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post

HSC 2
    LSC 12
    HSR 2
    LSR 12
    from fully open...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, I have to bring up again this. I'm stuck with RS Kage RC for a while so i have a few questions. Tune on the shock is M/M and the spring is 500x2.75 which is OK for my weight.
    My problem with this shock is that it feels really "muted". Don't know how else to describe it. A friend who has ridden a LOT of different parts says that RS shocks generally feel muted and dead in comparison to Fox and Marz. Over the last few weeks i tried quite a few other coil bikes (mostly DH, but few with ~160mm travel) and every one of them felt much more lively. Plush, bouncy and gave good feedback from the ground.

Did anyone else have similar experience? Is there a way to get this shock to feel good, or is this just that bad of a combination?

edit: i just read my post again and realized that i just ranted and didn't explain the real problem. Shock feels the same when he uses 30% of travel and 90% of travel. It is waaaaay too linear. Any way to change that?

mtbr member
    From what I understand about the rune. It's very linear leverage curve. Add a linear coil shock and you get what you disproved. If you want ramp up I would suggest an air shock...

Quote Originally Posted by mantra View Post

HSC 2
    LSC 12
    HSR 2
    LSR 12
    from fully open...
    Yeah, I have to bring up again this. I'm stuck with RS Kage RC for a while so i have a few questions. Tune on the shock is M/M and the spring is 500x2.75 which is OK for my weight.
    My problem with this shock is that it feels really "muted". Don't know how else to describe it. A friend who has ridden a LOT of different parts says that RS shocks generally feel muted and dead in comparison to Fox and Marz. Over the last few weeks i tried quite a few other coil bikes (mostly DH, but few with ~160mm travel) and every one of them felt much more lively. Plush, bouncy and gave good feedback from the ground.

Did anyone else have similar experience? Is there a way to get this shock to feel good, or is this just that bad of a combination?

edit: i just read my post again and realized that i just ranted and didn't explain the real problem. Shock feels the same when he uses 30% of travel and 90% of travel. It is waaaaay too linear. Any way to change that?

mtbr member
    Disproved = described

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

I run the fox 170 (2015)and its fantastic.
    the axle to crown is only 6mm longer than a 160 pike so it wouldn't make much of a change in geo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Milesos View Post
    I run the fox 170 (2015)and its fantastic.
    the axle to crown is only 6mm longer than a 160 pike so it wouldn't make much of a change in geo.
    Absolutely, won't change it much. Guy asked if it was the same. It's not. But like you said, close.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I decided to go with 170. Bought it at 180 but I think that maybe too much for what I'm after... Just waiting on the frame which is suppose to come this week!

Absolutely, won't change it much. Guy asked if it was the same. It's not. But like you said, close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You'll love that setup I do.
    Are you getting the latest frame with longer reach?

Members who have read this thread: 167