Page 24 of 91 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Which size of shock mounting hardware should be used?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tene View Post
    Which size of shock mounting hardware should be used?
    M8 x 40.0mm for shaft end of shock (rear end) and M8 x 25.4mm for reservoir end (front)
    Ride On!

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm thinking of getting a Rune v2 and want to run it 650. So, I am curious, has anyone tried the XFusion Vengeance on a Rune V2 and how does it do?
    I have that frame/fork combo, won't have it build up up until end of Jan, I'll post experience then. Using Stans Flow 650b rims.

I emailed XFusion USA with the same question, got a reply from the sales/service manager, he confirmed the forks are 650b out of the box, with no need to add a travel reducing spacer (got a quick reply thanks XFusion).

According to this thread
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...ad-827461.html
    the Hans Dampf 650b has a diameter of 705mm.
    This would leave 42.5mm of crown clearance at bottom out (565-(705/2) -170). I'm also planning to use the High Roller II 650b, say that's 720mm diameter, leaves 35mm crown clearance (565-(720/2) -170).

As for head angle, that's what I'm looking forward to! Depends on what you like I guess, for climbing/flat trail cornering I haven't found it to be a negative on other trail bikes, maybe some technique change is required...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Rune v2 and want to run it 650.

However, I am considering an XFusion Vengeance fork, which has an axle to crown that is (at 565mm) 20mm longer than the ones it is specced for...I understand the geo is 65 to 66 degrees, adjustable, assuming a 545mm a to c fork. With 565, I am concerned this thing will be too slack for anything but downhill.
    If you are concerned about the slack angles, then you could either lower the fork internally to 150mm to get desired axle to crown height to help keep BB low too, or you could run an angle set to steepen things up, but this will result in a higher BB.

Personally I would lower the vengeance to 150mm to get 545mm axle to crown height. The damping on the vengeance is good enough that you can run this setup without feeling you have too little travel.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    If you are concerned about the slack angles, then you could either lower the fork internally to 150mm to get desired axle to crown height to help keep BB low too, or you could run an angle set to steepen things up, but this will result in a higher BB.

Personally I would lower the vengeance to 150mm to get 545mm axle to crown height. The damping on the vengeance is good enough that you can run this setup without feeling you have too little travel.
    Im running a Lyrik with an A2C of 555. In the slack setting I am shade under 65. Im also considering a vengeance and i would have no qualms whatsoever about mounting it up. Swap the flip chips for the steep ones and your going to get around a 65 degree HA. Which in my opinion is fine because this bike climbs just fine in the setting I have now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Rune v2 and want to run it 650.

However, I am considering an XFusion Vengeance fork, which has an axle to crown that is (at 565mm) 20mm longer than the ones it is specced for...I understand the geo is 65 to 66 degrees, adjustable, assuming a 545mm a to c fork. With 565, I am concerned this thing will be too slack for anything but downhill.

A second concern I have is with the Vengeance's clearance for the beefier 650 tires. I am going to want to be able to run at least 2.35s in there. I've heard there are some clearance issues but this is surprising since the fork is approved for 650b. (I had an Xfusion Velvet fork and had no such issues with 650b and it was a great fork with lots of clearance, even for Nevegal 2.35s so I am doubting the accuracy of this last bit).

So, I am curious, has anyone tried the XFusion Vengeance on a Rune V2 and how does it do?
    Just plug in the numbers:

geometryCalc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ptd View Post
    I have that frame/fork combo, won't have it build up up until end of Jan, I'll post experience then. Using Stans Flow 650b rims.

I emailed XFusion USA with the same question, got a reply from the sales/service manager, he confirmed the forks are 650b out of the box, with no need to add a travel reducing spacer (got a quick reply thanks XFusion).

According to this thread
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...ad-827461.html
    the Hans Dampf 650b has a diameter of 705mm.
    This would leave 42.5mm of crown clearance at bottom out (565-(705/2) -170). I'm also planning to use the High Roller II 650b, say that's 720mm diameter, leaves 35mm crown clearance (565-(720/2) -170).

As for head angle, that's what I'm looking forward to! Depends on what you like I guess, for climbing/flat trail cornering I haven't found it to be a negative on other trail bikes, maybe some technique change is required...
    This fork has me really puzzled. It seems to have un-needed excessive amounts of clearance built into it (especially for 26" wheels). Your #'s and math are correct and 42.5mm of crown clearance seems crazy to me at bottom out with a 705mm 650B tire. It would clear a 29" tire for petes sake never mind the tallest 650B right now which is the NN 2.35" @ about 708mm. I also seriously doubt the new High Roller 650B will be anywhere near 720mm (28.35") which would make it just a gigantic 650B tire.

Am I missing something here
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    This fork has me really puzzled. It seems to have un-needed excessive amounts of clearance built into it (especially for 26" wheels). Your #'s and math are correct and 42.5mm of crown clearance seems crazy to me at bottom out with a 705mm 650B tire. It would clear a 29" tire for petes sake never mind the tallest 650B right now which is the NN 2.35" @ about 708mm. I also seriously doubt the new High Roller 650B will be anywhere near 720mm (28.35") which would make it just a gigantic 650B tire.

Am I missing something here
    Yeah I'm surprised by the clearance on paper (in a good way), will be interested to see when built up...
    Last edited by ptd; 12-30-2012 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 Vengeance which has 160mm of travel and an A2C of 560mm. I run my rune in the neutral position, and honestly it doesn't feel that slack when riding around XC trails. However, when you're pointed down, it definitely becomes noticeable how much better the V2 handles the steeps compared to the V1. I have avoided running it in the slack position due to the same concerns you've expressed. After riding the V2 for about 3 weeks, I'd probably be more concerned with more pedal strikes than the super slack HA.

mtbr member
    A quick little edit from yesterday. COLD!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, sweet video. Love the transitions from snow to dry valley with the sun bursting through. Nice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    A quick little edit from yesterday. COLD!
    Can't be that cold, still have running water on trails.

mtbr member
    Nice edit and cool to see HC in the snow, but man I got one word of ya.....Blackrock...as it was pretty prime all the way from the top (outside of Bonzai 5). Sorry I didn't call you yesterday due to leaving the phone at home and not realizing until well on the road. BR is probably the best rolling trail right now in the whole NW for that matter as it has been protected from low snow. Go get some and let me know how the V2 digs it as I am still waiting for mine of course.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Took the new Rune out for a ride around Taipei, handled almost 3,000ft of climbing without much trouble in the slackest setting. Hit up a nice wet and steep trail at a little DH spot we have in the city on my way home.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Looks like a fun little trail. Love the blue Rune.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    Looks like a fun little trail. Love the blue Rune.
    Not too bad, considering it's in a city of 3million people. I've been pleasantly surprised by the riding here in Taiwan thus far.

mtbr member
    Radical!!! Superchunk in the jungle on the V2, dig it and great solo edit/riding!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Nice edit and cool to see HC in the snow, but man I got one word of ya.....Blackrock...as it was pretty prime all the way from the top (outside of Bonzai 5). Sorry I didn't call you yesterday due to leaving the phone at home and not realizing until well on the road. BR is probably the best rolling trail right now in the whole NW for that matter as it has been protected from low snow. Go get some and let me know how the V2 digs it as I am still waiting for mine of course.
    I have the day off tomorrow so I'm heading out to BR while the gettin is still good. Partly cloudy and 41 degrees. Quite doable. Going hit Bonzai and Sickter. If youre off give me a call.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I have a 2011 Vengeance which has 160mm of travel and an A2C of 560mm. I run my rune in the neutral position, and honestly it doesn't feel that slack when riding around XC trails. However, when you're pointed down, it definitely becomes noticeable how much better the V2 handles the steeps compared to the V1. I have avoided running it in the slack position due to the same concerns you've expressed. After riding the V2 for about 3 weeks, I'd probably be more concerned with more pedal strikes than the super slack HA.
    Strange these 2012 Vengeance 170mm have A2C of 542mm ish... wipers go up to about 5mm from the crown bits at bottom out...

Bike looks sad without it's bits on!

Last edited by ptd; 01-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    That's a bas @ss machine you have there. Nicely done.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Strange these 2012 Vengeance 170mm have A2C of 542mm ish... wipers go up to about 5mm from the crown bits at bottom out...

Bike looks sad without it's bits on!

Jeez, can you please measure that A/C again and also confirm the 170mm of travel on the stanchion.

Your talking a 20mm difference as to what X-Fusion states on their site and that's a BIG difference

mtbr member
    Prior to my vengeance I had a 170mm lyrik. At one point I had placed them side by side to see if I could notice a difference with the A2C, and the vengeance was slightly taller/longer. How many mm of stanchion is your fork showing right now?

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My bad, I was measuring to the bottom of the crown, not the crown race.
    Axle to crown race is 565.

There is 178mm exposed stanchion, 8mm left at bottom out.

I did some tyre clearance calculations in an earlier post which are wrong.
    Based on 540mm axle to bottom of crown, a 705mm diameter hans dampf 650b will leave 17.5mm clearance 540-(705/2)-170. 720mm diameter leaves 10mm.

Oops.... Correct now?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My bad, I was measuring to the bottom of the crown, not the crown race.
    Axle to crown race is 565.

There is 178mm exposed stanchion, 8mm left at bottom out.

I did some tyre clearance calculations in an earlier post which are wrong.
    Based on 540mm axle to bottom of crown, a 705mm diameter hans dampf 650b will leave 17.5mm clearance 540-(705/2)-170. 720mm diameter leaves 10mm.

Oops.... Correct now?
    Ah, it all makes more sense. Thanks for the corrections

Still, allot of clearance built into this fork and quite possibly to much IMO. I don't think were gonna be seeing a 720mm 650B tire (28.3") yet there is more than enough clearance for one.

Roll on Spring Time!
    very nice trail to have available in the city.
    I just want to ride.

Page 24 of 91 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 ... LastLast