Page 17 of 91 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Initial ride report: THIS THING IS ****ING FAST.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    Initial ride report: THIS THING IS ****ING FAST.
    Concise, to the point, not too wordy but all the information we need. All in all, a very good review.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

beater
    Pinkbike posted a picture tonight on FB of their 650b test sled in mid-build at OTE in Sedona.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Pinkbike posted a picture tonight on FB of their 650b test sled in mid-build at OTE in Sedona.
    Link?

NVM found it.
    Last edited by Mishtar; 12-02-2012 at 10:10 PM.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Link?
    Make me get off the couch and go to the PC, huh? I was in iPad land, which doesn't make sharing FB links easy.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Woops sorry

mtbr member
    A question for Keith.
    How strong are the ISCG tabs? I'm looking into crank setups, And I'm pondering between taco and a classic bash. I'd rather go with a FC-M675 + E.13 LS1+, the altrenative is FC-M670 and a classic chainguide + bashring.

If I sustain a tab breaking hit/crash/impact can I warranty the frame? Can the tab's be broken at all?

A little help please.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    As is true for nearly all manufacturers, warranty only covered manufacturing defects. Damage caused by large impact to the ISCG tabs will not be covered under warranty, but we will offer crash replacement.

The ISCG tabs weld is strong, but no welds like direct impact which is essentially what happend when a taco hits the ground.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Thank's.

So m670 + bash i it is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My frame just showed up, but sans the 650b dropouts. I called Trident and was told they wouldn't be shipping the 650b dropouts until late January at the earliest. Glad I ordered the 26" dropouts as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pink Bike got the only available 650 dropouts apparently

After they finish thrashing it, it's coming to Francois here at MTBR for the 650 shootout.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We had a bit of an issue with forging supplier for the 650B dropouts, hence they have been delayed. Sorry about that. They aren't too far out now.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I should probably spend some time on 26" wheels anyway, just for comparison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I picked up a blue Rune 2 a few days ago and just got it built up. I'd post a pic but MTBR won't let me yet. Guess I need to post more and troll less...

You can find it over on Vital in the bike check section if you're interested in seeing how that color looks (I'm 5'10" and it's a large)

And definitely check out the feature we did on the Banshee factory. They may be a small operation but they certainly aren't cutting any corners with designing and building their bikes. I was super impressed.

Glad to see you guys are as stoked on this bike as I am. I've never been this psyched to build up a trail bike.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    General Lee, you have a sweet bike and great piece on Vital about Banshee!

How are the Oozy rims holding up? I'm thinking of building up some new wheels once Spank sends over another shipment to N. America.

General Lee's bike:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Lee, your bike looks amazing!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Very nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miltony527 View Post
    Beatiful! Do you have a pic of the frame weight?
    I don't. For 2 reasons:

1. I don't have a scale

2. I've never weighed any bike I've owned, not even my race bikes during my previous World Cup racing days. My personal philosophy has been to spec a bike the way I want performance wise and leave it at that. But I do like my wheels to be pretty light while still being durable (1650 for the pair in this case).

I'd guess it's in the +/- 30lb range depending on tire selection. Right now it's Oozy wheels and 2.5/2/35 Minion single ply so not too bad to pedal around at all. For comparison sake, I compared it to a complete 100mm '08 Giant Reign I had lying around at it's definitely lighter which actually surprised me.

Sorry if that's not the most helpful answer, but I actually rate weight fairly low on my priorities for choosing a frame. Geometry the #1 factor followed by suspension, brakes, tires, wheels in that order.

As a former high level DH racer, this is the trail bike I wanted 10 years ago. Glad someone finally made it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    general lee, thanks for making factory Review. I was impressed too.

my height is 5"10 and Im surprised that you picked Large size. I got recommendation by Banshee to get Medium size. Any reason to choose Large? In case before I regret choosing medium size

What lenght of stem and bar do you use?

Ozzy rims, hmm interesting. Better than Flow rims?

Indeed, me as dh rider , Rune v2 is no brainer choice and even will become my main bike of all those I own

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @tomasis
    I am 5'11 (180cm) and I ordered a large Rune (it felt great when I sat on it at the Eurobike show). I am currently riding a Liteville 301 in L, but I had a 301 in M before. In retrospective, it was a very wise decision to switch to the larger frame size. Now I am using a shorter stem, which results in almost the same length but gives me more control in extremely steep sections. Since the chainstays did not grow with the larger frame it feels as versatile as the M, but it's much better when I am going fast.

I will go for L + 30mm stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tomasis View Post
    general lee, thanks for making factory Review. I was impressed too.

my height is 5"10 and Im surprised that you picked Large size. I got recommendation by Banshee to get Medium size. Any reason to choose Large? In case before I regret choosing medium size

What lenght of stem and bar do you use?

Ozzy rims, hmm interesting. Better than Flow rims?

Indeed, me as dh rider , Rune v2 is no brainer choice and even will become my main bike of all those I own

My arms are slightly longer proportional to my height which figures in a bit but that's not really the reason. I used med frames for all my dh race bikes for a long time but they started feeling more cramped as 8" forks and geometry changes made riding less upright and more evenly over the entire bike a lot faster and efficient. I felt like my '08 Sunday would have been perfect with the top and downtube off a large, same with my original Evil Revolt. Even since then I've ridden mostly larges since few companies have totally retooled their geometry around having a longer front end. I heard a from a few product managers that they were considering going to Small, Med, Med-long, XLarge but it's a tough call when people have really been conditioned to think of bikes only in terms of seat tube height and effective TT length (which means nothing as soon as you stand up). Instead of getting on a bike an thinking 'this feels good when I sit on it' you might want to consider what it feels like when you stand on it. Make sense?

At 5'10 you could go either way depending how you like to be positioned on the bike. I come from more of a DH racing background and prefer a bit more aggressive position on a bike. In this case if you're choosing between sizes it's best to go bigger than smaller since the latter starts to make your hands feel like they're near your waste and your chest and head way ahead of them; not exactly a good feeling.

I could probably ride a medium with no problem but I just feel more comfortable with the slightly longer front end.

50mm stem, 740 bars. Same as the DH bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by general lee View Post
    My arms are slightly longer proportional to my height which figures in a bit but that's not really the reason. I used med frames for all my dh race bikes for a long time but they started feeling more cramped as 8" forks and geometry changes made riding less upright and more evenly over the entire bike a lot faster and efficient. I felt like my '08 Sunday would have been perfect with the top and downtube off a large, same with my original Evil Revolt. Even since then I've ridden mostly larges since few companies have totally retooled their geometry around having a longer front end. I heard a from a few product managers that they were considering going to Small, Med, Med-long, XLarge but it's a tough call when people have really been conditioned to think of bikes only in terms of seat tube height and effective TT length (which means nothing as soon as you stand up). Instead of getting on a bike an thinking 'this feels good when I sit on it' you might want to consider what it feels like when you stand on it. Make sense?

At 5'10 you could go either way depending how you like to be positioned on the bike. I come from more of a DH racing background and prefer a bit more aggressive position on a bike. In this case if you're choosing between sizes it's best to go bigger than smaller since the latter starts to make your hands feel like they're near your waste and your chest and head way ahead of them; not exactly a good feeling.

I could probably ride a medium with no problem but I just feel more comfortable with the slightly longer front end.

50mm stem, 740 bars. Same as the DH bike

Thanks for that write up Lee, I was worried about my own choice of Large even though I am 6', I thought maybe I would need a shorter stem or something but I think i will keep my 60mm to try it out for now after reading this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What a bike!!! Build and color: Great!!

Is the travel of the fork 160 or 180mm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailinger View Post
    What a bike!!! Build and color: Great!!

Is the travel of the fork 160 or 180mm?
    Thanks, I'm pretty psyched on how it turned out. Jay at Banshee really went out of his way to sort everything out for me, and Spank came through with some pretty sweet wheels for me to test as well. Now if it would just stop raining here in Taipei....

Fork is 160mm, same as the rear. Any more than that and I'd just get on a DH bike.

Page 17 of 91 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast