mtbr member

Banshee Rune Suspension Play?

What does this play feel like? I am experiencing vertical play at the main pivot at the BB. I push the bike down and in the first few MM's of travel I get this "thunk". Is this the dreaded play every one has been talking about?

Mind you I figured this was just worn out bushings, so I did a bushing swap for new ones and the play persists. This is a five month old frame. My second. My first had alignment issues.

Is this something that can be solved with the new axle kits? If so how can I get one? I do not have a Banshee Dealer close by.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's probably then, if you're replaced the bushings, your DU bushings on your shock. A $20 fix that your local bike shop will be able to help you fix.

If it's not your DUs, then you probably created pre-mature frame wear with the original bushings being over-torqued and broken down (over-torquing, which is what causes 99% of the bushing problems on the Rune).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike9699 View Post
    It's probably then, if you're replaced the bushings, your DU bushings on your shock. A $20 fix that your local bike shop will be able to help you fix.

If it's not your DUs, then you probably created pre-mature frame wear with the original bushings being over-torqued and broken down (over-torquing, which is what causes 99% of the bushing problems on the Rune).
    dude, it's not an issue that's only the rider's fault. i've meticulously followed banshee's recommendations and developed play. don't blame the op who says he's already on his 2nd frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey, just sayin.... it's not beyond the realm of possibility....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    What does this play feel like? I am experiencing vertical play at the main pivot at the BB. I push the bike down and in the first few MM's of travel I get this "thunk". Is this the dreaded play every one has been talking about?

Mind you I figured this was just worn out bushings, so I did a bushing swap for new ones and the play persists. This is a five month old frame. My second. My first had alignment issues.

Is this something that can be solved with the new axle kits? If so how can I get one? I do not have a Banshee Dealer close by.
    Yeah, I get that play about every few months or so and it is usually the DU eyelet shock bushing and why I have at least five of them on hand. Put your fingers over the eyelet shells and lift the seat and drop it down, no play then more than likely the MP. After bushing replacement and still play at MP, more than likely a worn axle even though you have been greasing regularly unfortunately. This will create extra movement at the MP despite the conditions of bushings or not due to do the black coating around the axle wearing down prematurely. Then of course, I would check the inside of the linkage and pivot interface. As far as frame/pivot wear goes, this would usually only happen at my CS pivot for my bikes. On my 2nd Rune before I noticed BB weld crack, I do recall having to replace my MP bushing pretty early on, like within 3 months and then a month later, until I noticed the early wearing of the axle that was creating play no matter what. FWIW, since I switched to white lithium grease from Prep-M, I have been experiencing longer wear of the axles and no frequent MP issues like I did before. I still think most, if not all of these issues are due to the majority of frames being "off" some, causing the pivot structures to wear down prematurely.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Doh. For some reason the pre load on my elka was cranked in 10 or so turns. Soooo.... I was getting coil bind. I am suspecting my little nephew as the culprit as he was playing around on my bike last friday when they were visiting. Strong little ****er! I backed it off to the one turn I usually run and walla no clunk, every thing seems to be working right now. No play, no clunk. False Alarm. Meh, I needed to change out the bushings anyways.

It had me perplexed as I noticed no premature wear on anything. Then it hit me that during my ride yesterday it was riding kind of stiff. I kept playing with the LSC and HSC during the ride. I hadn't made any adjustment to my pre load since I got it set up the way I like so it didn't quite dawn on me until tonight. Holy crap that sucker was tight.

As far as torque values I run between 4-5NM with heavy duty loc tite and keep a tight maintenance schedule.