mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Banshee Rampant Pivot Question

I'm just trying to work out if I need to buy a new pivots or if I can get away with just buying bushings for my Banshee Rampant and wondered if anyone could help me out.

I took the pivots out and the paint has worn away a bit. So I got the calipers out to take a reading of the thickness where they're worn compared to the middle of the pivot where there is no contact with the bushings. The average wear is about 0.2mm (the most one part had worn was 0.22mm) away from the thickness. The thickness looks the same by eye.

Do you think that this is enough wear to warrant replacing the pivots? Or would I be able to get away with just getting new bushings and keeping them lubed up to the max at all times from here on in. Just asking as a pivot set (which I think only contains one pivot and I would need two) is almost twice the price of the bushings kit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I may not be understanding correctly, but here's my .02c.

The bushings do not (should not!) rotate in the frame, so missing paint on the frame is no big deal (although I'm not sure how it would have worn, unless it was removed intentionally when the frame was made).

What does matter, is the fit between new bushings and your used axles. If that is loose due to the axles being worn down, you may need new axles.

You probably know the Rampant used different bushings than the Rune/spitfire. I think the rampant bushing part numbers are in the pivot service sticky thread.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks, sorry I didn't explain very well.

The paint has worn off the axle/pivot making it 0.2mm thinner. Does this amount warrant getting the new axle/pivot set? I'm assuming the bushings have worn down as well though, so do you think just replacing the bushings would be enough?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    That helps... the finish on the axles is ano rather than paint.

When you say .2mm, is that on each side (radius), or the total diameter?

Anyways. Bushings can be had for cheap. If it was me, I'd probably replace the bushings and see if that tightens up the rear end. If so, keep in mind you'll go through bushings much faster due to your tolerances. If the rear end feels loose even wit new bushings then the axles need to be replaced.

Would be good to check in with Keith and get his thoughts.