mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Banshee owners with flip chip dropouts: question...

hi guys.

how do you guys use the flip chip option- set it and forget it or change based on trails ridden? it appeals greatly in theory. looking at the Prime the "steep" setting (which is quite slack) vs the 1 degree slacker setting. the steep for general trail riding and the steep for local shuttle rides.

a) how much difference does the 1 degree make in feel/performance, etc?
    b) how easy is it to switch, moments, minutes? would love to see a brief youtube of someone doing so.

happy trails.

mtbr member
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy. I set up my spitfire in the middle setting because those are the numbers I knew I wanted for most of the riding I do and have been happy with it. That said, if I were to take a trip somewhere that I thought a geo change would be helpful, I'd swap things...takes all of 5 minutes with one allen wrench.

1 degree and 0.5 inches in the BB is a noticeable difference. The tall/steep setting is pretty standard trail bike geo, the slack/low setting is slacker and lower than nearly any comparable bike currently on the market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what he said, it would only take 5 minutes.
    I also have mine set in the middle position which mimics my old V1 and is a good compromise for trail riding. This summer when I start going to Trestle @ Winter Park I'll probably use the lowest setting.

mtbr member
    I tried it in all 3 positions & settled on the slackest. It has stayed there since...

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I personally havenīt changed the Geometry on my Spitfire. Itīs in the neutral Setting, with -1 Deg Angleset. So itīs set and forget. But from Experience I can say that 1 Deg makes a difference. Most Riders I know switched to slacker Geometries (in general), liked it a lot more and kept it there.
    The best Thing to do is: Make your own Experience and check out what can work for you or not!!! Changing the Flip-Chip Setting is done in a very few Minutes and is easy to do. Weīre talking about 4 Bolts to unscrew and srew ...

BILLDAWG
    Feb 2010
    Is it possible to convert my runev2 from a 142mm dropout to a 135mm dropout with shimanoe hubs

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yes buy the 135 mm drops outs.... .but that has nothing to do with flip chips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    I tried it in all 3 positions & settled on the slackest. It has stayed there since...
    Yep, same here. Feels the best in this position, even at climbing.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i'm quite surprised. is it because it doesn't really feel much different in the steepest setting and isn't worth the hassle? does the bike not have sharper steering/handling in the steepest setting?

mtbr member
    To me it just feels more balanced while riding the tech in the Dells while in the slackest. It felt good in the middle and had it that way for awhile, but moved it back and thats where it stays. Steering was fine while in the middle, but felt over the bars. I have a LG and Im 6'1" with monkey arms so take that in account?
    JRA

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So far, I switched 3-4 times between neutral and slack...
    with the slackest setting (I run a regular headset and 170mm Lyrik) it is just putting a fat smile on my face everytime I shred a corner on the bike...
    in neutral, it feels a tad better when climbing...
    I'll be switching from the Fox CTD to the DBAir coming weekend, and I am pretty sure I will go back to slack then, and keep it like that...
    after all, the difference is not huge, more like a subtle fine-tuning of the ride... like playing with the last clicks of the compression settings...

mtbr member
    Slack position for me. LBS built it in mid position, I felt like I was going over the bars all the time so I changed it. Way more comfortable and easier to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    going over the bars?!! on a Prime! that is a rare feeling on a 29er and the steepest setting on the Prime is slack, my goodness.

Prime
    If riding slow and on flat pavement, my Prime full slack almost feels like it's maybe sorta flop steering. I run full slack 100%, that was my intention when I bought the frame, it handles everything very well the way it is. I see no reason to change is to steeper. I wanted a 29er AM ripper, and I got more even than I had hoped.

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've tried them all, and while I have setted on the slack on the Prime, I quite like the steep setting for more trail rides, where there isn't that much gnar on the descents. The slightly higher BB for me is the difference between clipping pedals in rocks or clearing them. I think for next year the head angles could be slacked a bit, so that people would actually use the steep setting. I'd like the "high" bb combined with a slightly slacker head angle. I do know that i can just buy an angleset and be done with it.

Overall it seems everyone is using the medium and slack settings, so why not make the steep a bit like the medium, but keeping the shorter stays and high bb? (just weld the headtube .5 degrees slacker, add the stealth stickers and remote routing and maybe even stealth cable guides inside the frame and it'd be perfect. If there is internal routing, leave the external option, I like it easy to maintain xD ).

Also, if we neglect the front derailleur, how much shorter could be the chainstays? At least my prime could do with 5mm shorter stays, it has enough clearance to do that. If it was designed ditching the front derailleur, even shorter stays could be possible, right?
    Keith Scott: If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm on a rune 650b with forks 20mm longer A-C than on the geometry page.
    Started on slack, been on neutral the longest, back on slack to re-test.

I found a little too much wheel flop/push/understeer/heavy type feeling on slack, in neutral the balance felt better.
    Now I've got used to the bike/suspension settings I'm trying slack again..

I'd be interested in trying a few things while in the slack setting:
    - fork with less a-c (reduce trail)
    - fork with more offset (reduce trail)
    - 26" dropouts with 650b wheel (shorter chainstay)

Also need gnarlier tracks than I'm on for slack I guess..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    going over the bars?!! on a Prime! that is a rare feeling on a 29er and the steepest setting on the Prime is slack, my goodness.
    Yes sir, It suits me fine. I don't seem to have any issues climbing, flatland riding or descending. And to make me even more slack happy, I fitted the bike with a 50mm, 25 degree stem and 2 inch riser bars.