Banshee Munro Headset Bearings
I have the Munro tapered headset and the lower bearing just died. Does anyone know the reference of this bearing?
Maybe post a pic of the said bearing? I don't know the exact reference, but bearings tend be pretty similar in headsets. Is it the 1.5 bottom cup or regular 1 1/8?
It's the tapered, so 1.5" bottom cup. I don't have a pic of the bearing, but it looks exactly like all the other 1.5" bearings from tapered headsets.
This is the headset:
And looks like this one, which probably is the same size:
Superstar Components - High Spec Parts For Peanuts
What does it mean "died"?
Pop the bearing out of the lower cup. Once you have it you have two ways to deal with typical problems.
1. Repair the bearing
- pop the plastic seals
- rinse the bearing with solvent ( gasoline works great )
- pack the bearing with fresh grease
- put the seals back
- wipe the excess
- put back on a bike
- the bearing has two markings
- one are the taper angles of the races. Usually 1.5" bearings are either 45x36 degree or 45x45 degree
- other is bearing size - 1.5" are almost always 40x52x7, like on your pic
- find a replacement bearing. They are fairly cheap.
"Died" as it has ceased to be! it's expired and gone to meet its maker!
I've tried repairing it but it's gone.
So the bearing is probably 40x52x7. I just have to find out the angle, right?