Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. B+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.

Hi Prime community.
    I was browsing over B+ trend, and of course I started to figure how my Prime would come out with 650b 40mm large rims and 2.8/3.0 airbags.

Has anybody already attempted or started thinking about it ?
    Last edited by filbike; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:12 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Oh yes! I am all over this.
    Light-bicycle.com has 38mm (ext) wide carbon rims releasing soon, I am just waiting for that.

To be honest.... if I don't like it... the wheels will go on something designed for 27.5".

mtbr member
    Talkin' about rims, NEXTIE already sells a 40 mm carbon.

I don't have another bike, so of I don't like I have to sell.

AOK
    mtbr member

B+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    Talkin' about rims, NEXTIE already sells a 40 mm carbon.
    Derby makes a 40mm 27.5 rim too

beater

B+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.

[fly on the wall]
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

MTB B'dos
    Subbed in, interested in B+, but more so for the rigid. but if I get some, of course I'll try it on the Phantom/Prime. But just from my measurements, don't think you'll have any trouble what so ever running them on either the Prime or Phantom. 29+ might even fit, but chainstay length could be an issue, but not width clearance.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Yeah, chainstays would be longer than a B+ specific frame, but this won't change anything in my ride.
    my concern was about tire clearance, but with measured 8.2 cm between stays, for sure I can use the 2.8 wtb trailblazers given at 7.2 cm section, or maybe some fattyer tires.
    The 727 mm reported diameter of trailblazers will drop the BB 1 cm (at 33.5 cm low setting ), as overall diameter difference between my 29er maxxis 2.3 DHR is -2 cm.
    Last edited by filbike; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Derby makes a 40mm 27.5 rim too
    ...at twice $$

FM
    luxatio erecta
    LB38mm wheels on the way...

These tires are expensive!
    I wonder if the Vee trax fatty 27.5x3.25 would fit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wow, I missed the boat on this idea! I was eyeing up the Salsa Bucksaw because I like the idea of big tires at low psi, never even thought of 650B with "sort of" fat tires. Was just thinking of replacing my EThirteen rims with something wider and going with 2.5" tires but I like this idea even better. Can't wait to see what the results are!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll be interested to hear how you guys get on with this, please post photos of clearance and ride reports if you try it. Cheers
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Unfortunately Iīm out of budget for new parts right now, but would like to try 26"+ semi-fat 2.8 to 3.0 tires on my Spitfire.
    According to a chart of an article on mtb-news.de the 26"+ diameter is almost identical to a 650B 2.3 or 2.4 tire ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.-tire-sizing.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I'll be interested to hear how you guys get on with this, please post photos of clearance and ride reports if you try it. Cheers
    maybe new B+ dropouts will be nice feature on our bikes.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I mounted up a 29x3.0 Knard / Flow Ex on my Prime; pics are on page 59 of the Prime production thread. Based on that, I'd say B+ could definitely work with the right wheel / tire. Also, we've got adjustable dropouts so the BB height can be raised if needed.

With generous tire clearance and adjustable dropouts, these bikes are very versatile. When tire manufacturers finally start producing 29x2.7ish tires, I'm looking forward to trying them on my Prime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I mounted up a 29x3.0 Knard / Flow Ex on my Prime; pics are on page 59 of the Prime production thread. Based on that, I'd say B+ could definitely work with the right wheel / tire. Also, we've got adjustable dropouts so the BB height can be raised if needed.

With generous tire clearance and adjustable dropouts, these bikes are very versatile. When tire manufacturers finally start producing 29x2.7ish tires, I'm looking forward to trying them on my Prime.
    Oh thanks, I missed that. You could run '650b' dropouts to create tire more clearance if you did want to run this setup in mud and slush.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    maybe new B+ dropouts will be nice feature on our bikes.
    My question would be: Where there any differences to the current 650B-dropouts? These ones lengthen the stays about 10mm ...

My other question would be: Is there a market and demand for 29+ tires? I can imagine that 650b (in general) and 26+ and B+ could gain popularity and sales in the near future. Maybe not for the racers among us, but for the all-day-explorers ... ?!?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    My question would be: Where there any differences to the current 650B-dropouts? These ones lengthen the stays about 10mm ...
    The dropouts have not changed, so yeah, the clearance would increase by approximately 10mm.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

MTB B'dos

1/2 Phat Phantom w/ 29+ tyres

Curious to all the folks interested in these + tyres for FS as to the why? Maybe I'm missing something, but the Prime/Phantom already have fantastic suspensions, pair that with any of the available "normal" 29er rubber already available up to real 2.5" tyres and you've got an awesome machine, can't see the need or want for so much bigger. Current tyre setup, WW LT rear, 2.35" Ikon front in dry conditions and loving it, combo is very fast, but the 2.35" Ikon really does offer a lot of grip for how fast it is. Have my 2.4" Chunky Monkey for the wet or a more aggressive setup.

I did a check this AM, and the Phantom will clear a Maxxis Chronicle with the drop outs set to the slackest position, i.e. longest chainstay length, but clearance would only be for absolutely smooth dirt trails with no debri to get caught up in the tyre, at least IMHO. Also the F34 has clearance, but wouldn't trust in on anything more than smooth dirt with no debri to get lodged between the tyre and arch.

B+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.-dscn0837_web.jpgB+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.-dscn0831_web.jpgB+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.-dscn0827_web.jpgB+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.-dscn0834_web.jpgB+ PRIME (or Phantom). Let's talk about it.-dscn0828_web.jpg
    Last edited by LyNx; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:18 AM. Reason: to amend title
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    The dropouts have not changed, so yeah, the clearance would increase by approximately 10mm.
    Dear Keith, yes, thatīs why I questioned some possible "+" dropouts. Canīt imagine a significant difference versus the current 650B-dropouts, except being longer than 10mm for 4. tires ... ?

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Curious to all the folks interested in these + tyres for FS as to the why? ...
    Good question!
    I have no (1/2) fat-tire-experience myself, but from what Iīve read those tires offer more traction/grip and better rolling-resistance. The right air-pressure seems to be the key. Smaller volume-tires should have faster rolling, but these big ones would make for a better all-weather/all-terrain usage ...

MTB B'dos
    Well honestly my interest in the "+" market is for my rigid Karate Monkey or just rigid in general, but just toolin about on the Phantom with those tyres this AM in my drive, they felt sluggish and overkill to me, didn't inspire me to want to leave them on and go give them a try in dirt. In contrast to on the rigid where they feel fantastic, unfortunately the Monkey won't fit 29+ in the rear, so only on a 2.4" Ardent. Currently the 29+ are on the WTB ST i25s and tyre profile is very round, curious what will happen when I get the Velocity Dually 45mm external amd 39mm internal rims built and them mounted up.

Good question!
    I have no (1/2) fat-tire-experience myself, but from what Iīve read those tires offer more traction/grip and better rolling-resistance. The right air-pressure seems to be the key. Smaller volume-tires should have faster rolling, but these big ones would make for a better all-weather/all-terrain usage ...
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

My other question would be: Is there a market and demand for 29+ tires? I can imagine that 650b (in general) and 26+ and B+ could gain popularity and sales in the near future. Maybe not for the racers among us, but for the all-day-explorers ... ?!?
    I was talking about having shorter dropouts for 29er and B+ so to reduce chainstay length. (possible with less wheel diameter)
    may be Rune's or Spitfire's 26er dropouts would shorten chainstay as well, but I don't know how they compare with prime's dropouts

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Curious to all the folks interested in these + tyres for FS as to the why?
    Just to try it
    decrease overall wheel diameter (sweet spot between 27.5 and 29?) without a new frame/fork
    traction at 15psi

I did a check this AM, and the Phantom will clear a Maxxis Chronicle
    Thanks for the pics. Can you please revise your post to show that these are 29+ tires? Other 27+ threads have already gotten pretty confusing with random 29+ tire references and pictures.

The parts of this set-up you didn't like could be related to the 29+ wheelsize- certainly the clearance would work with 27+ and the wheel would spin up faster. Part of the allure of 27+ is that it could be nearly a wash with 29, in terms of diameter and weight.

beater
    Curious to all the folks interested in these + tyres for FS as to the why?
    Lean a fatbike over through a fast corner and you'll have a 'wow' moment. Then imagine it might be possible to capture some of that with wheels that aren't quite as ponderous, in a frame I already have, and as you point out, has great suspension characteristics. That's is why I'm watching this develop with some interest. I'm still recovering from a period of being a single income household and have to pick my battles, but tire selection will likely improve as this ferments a while.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I was talking about having shorter dropouts for 29er and B+ so to reduce chainstay length. (possible with less wheel diameter)
    may be Rune's or Spitfire's 26er dropouts would shorten chainstay as well, but I don't know how they compare with prime's dropouts
    I get what you are thinking of.
    Well, as far as I know the (short = 26" = 142/150x12) dropouts work for every KS-Link frame, including Rune, Spitfire, Darkside, Prime and Phantom. The (10mm longer) 650B dropouts are mainly for the Rune, Spitfire and Darkside to convert them for the midsize-wheels, but can be used on the Prime and Phantom too, if you like longer CS. Iīm not sure if shorter than the 26 dropouts give enough tire-clearance for B+ wheels/tires in the Prime and Phantom rear. Take a closer look to my earlier posted chart. The diameter of a 26+ is almost identical to a 650B while a 650B+ is almost identical to a 29 ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast