mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Axel-to-Crown for 650b spitfire?

Im wating for a 14 Spitfire and have started looking for a matching fork that takes 650b wheels. What axel-to-crown should I use to get the same geometry as a 545 AC on the 26" setup? As fork choice goes, I have started to look towards X-Fusion Sweep. I think it is 551 mm in the 160 mm travel seting. Would that be better with 150 mm or even 140 mm travel?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What geometry are you trying to match exactly?? The only thing different is the BB height with 650b wheels. HA/SA stay the same. Obviously wheelbase is 10mm longer with the 650b drop outs. It's not clear to me what you mean or are trying to accomplish.

I'm running a 534 A/C, 150mm travel White Brothers Loop fork while some guys will be running a 555 A/C fork with 160mm travel. Between fork choice, flip chip settings, tire height, and even angle set head set, the possibilities are many to get whatever it is you're looking for.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was not thinking about the fact that the rear is also higher to the same extent as the front, so I was incorrectly thinking that I had to compensate the higher hub with a shorter A/C.

I'm not really sure what Im looking for. I think I will start with a X-Fusion Sweep set to 150 mm of travle. I guess that should give and A/C of 541 and be very close to the gemoetry table? At home I ride a lot of slow technical trails with lots of short, but steep climbs. Im hoping that the steep setting will do me good at home, and then just setting the flip chips to the slack setting if I go to the alps or something.

What setting do you use with the 534 A/C?

Thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It sounds like my terrain as well (New England) and also how I setup my Spitty. High/steep setting for rock/root clearance and a resulting HA of somewhere between 67.5 and 68 degrees with my shorter A/C fork. Works very well this way IMO and honestly haven't seen anyone else set theirs up like this. Everyone seems to want low and slack.

Sweep will probably be a great fork if the thing ever actually materializes. Now it's supposed to be Dec. availability. Kind of a running joke in the 650b forum since it's been pushed back so many times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Good to hear. I'm currently on a On One 456 Evo with a 140 mm sektor fork. That bike is probably very slack, something like 66 degres HA or so. A little steeper would probably do me good at home.

Hah, I missed that the sweep was bushed back again. I had just seen it on pre-order for october 7th. I will ride the spitfire with a 150 mm sektor with A/C 531 until spring, so I will give the Sweep another 9th chance or whatever the count is. How do you feel about the shorter A/C, is a good thing or would you want to change it?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm coming off a bike (actually 2 bikes) with 69 degree HA so I really have no issues with it at all and for my terrain works really well. The front end is not as planted as my Jamis Dakar 650b (I seem to have to make more steering corrections with the Banshee) but that very well may have to do with the fact that the Jamis had 17.7" chain stays combined with the 69* HA. Despite that it was a very nice bike and went exactly where you pointed it with no fuss. It was an absolute revelation to me coming off a Cannondale Prophet where the front end was all over the place and I thought it was just my riding skill or lack of....not, as it turns out!

Ultimately I would like a 34 or 35mm stanchion fork @ around 545mm A/C and try to adjust to a slacker front end as it makes descending the sketchy rock sections we have here allot easier and more comfortable....as long as it still climbs ok which is more vital to me. Gravity always gets you down one way or another. I prefer to be able to clear things vs walking going up and right now the Spitty works awesome. You will see if you set yours up with that fork. Amazing little bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the input, much appericated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A 150mm sweep would be a great option!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog