mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Add a washer between frame and hub?

Can I add a washer in between the hub and the frame on the drive side on a Spitfire? Would having the frame stretch those few millimeters be a bad idea?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    why on earth would you want to do that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was asking myself the same question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Because the combination of my hub, cassette and derailluer don't work well together.

The high limit screw ends up interfering with the low limit screw on the derailluer because the derailluer and cassette are too close together on the small cogs on the cassette. I added a washer to the derailluer bolt, which helped a little but it still needs to be spaced out a bit more. I don't want to add another washer to the derailluer bolt, as that bolt isn't very long in the first place.

See this: SRAM X.9 Rear Derailleur has got a rather annoying design flaw!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'd guess your derailuer or hanger are bent, or your B-limit screw is out of adjustment.

It's not the derailuer design, X9's work fine on other frames, banshees included.

If you add washers and make your hub wider than 135, you'll be putting additional stress on the rear triangle and pushing it out of alignment. Not a solution..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Besides, in that thread people are not adding washers between hub and rear triangle, they space out the mech with washer between hanger and RD.

That being said, is it new undamaged RD? I've broken 3 X.9 RD's by now and now i moved to Saint.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    FM, it is due to the design of the derailleur. The year that SRAM made this derailleur, was the only year that they used this specific design. Afterwards, they went back to the original layout.

The rear hanger and derailleur are straight. In fact, I just put a new (straight) hanger on it from North Shore Billet.

Like I said before, I did put a washer onto the derailleur bolt (like the other people in that thread), but it is still not spaced out quite enough. It needs to be spaced out just a tiny bit more. I know that it is not a solution, but rather a band aid, but I just do not have the funds to replace the derailleur with a newer one. Being a college student with zero money to spare has its limits....

This is the reason why I asked about putting a washer in between hub and the frame. I'd rather deal with a jumpy gear than risk damaging my frame.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    or you just lock the smallest cog?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah I guess that is an option, although I spin out on the second smallest cog pretty easily as it is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've had the same problem with two different year x9's and two different bikes. Not sure of a good 100% solution you could

A- try to space it out as you have just a little more
    B- lose either the top or bottom cog
    C- try to find a smaller derailler pulley
    D- try to find or make a hanger that is longer ( is what I did, worked ok)
    D- try to get sram to replace your derailler as that design is total BS

good luck as I know it's frustrating as all heck

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah it is very frustrating! Sucks when you buy something that is brand new and it is already broken!

I've got it to somewhat work, but the limiting screws are still interfering with eachother, so I'm not getting the proper adjustment on the lower half of the cassette. Oh well, just have to make due I guess. Hopefully these POS's last for another 2 years while I'm in college lol..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What wheels you running by the way... some wheelsets require spacers on certain cassette+freewheel combinations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It is a Hope Pro 2 hub with a SRAM 990 cassette.

mtbr member
    I really can't imagine a frame failure due to a couple mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thats what I thought, but I dunno, I'd rather not risk it without hearing from someone from Banshee.

I was trying to fiddle with it a bit more today, but just got fed up and said "F it" to myself and eliminated the bottom gear. It seems to shift better with the bike in the stand, but most noticeably the chain is a lot quieter too. Hopefully the rain stops so I can test it out tommorow...