Nucking Futs

83mm crank mod on scythe, pics inside

anyone recognize the chain massively grinding the bashring on the smallest gear on the Scythe? well this is 1 of the only problems I think this bike has. the inside of my bashring is pretty nackerd because of this and also the chain actually grinds the 2nd smallest cog under power and reverse freewheeling. also for purely gravity riding I much rather prefer a 83mm bb over a 73 one, the difference in stability is pretty noticable and makes the bike much more stable.

to make a very long story short, i've accidentaly stumbled uppon this nice piece of retro kit from race face;

RaceFace BB Conversion Kit 83 - 68/73mm | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

this goes between the bb cups and the arms themself. note that you do have to sort the boomerang of the changuide to match the chainring and this is not advisable with taco systems. I was in a bit of a hurry for a 2 week bike trip in the europian alps so settled for 1 mm thick wide stainless washers and I think will keep it this way.

the extra brace is to support the upper iscg tab cause it cracked when I hit it with a rubber hammer to get the main pivot out. had it re-welded but just to be safe added the brace.

this was taken after a few days of riding in Morgins and surroundings, near Chatel in the French/ Swiss alps. it works a treat! the chainline is now like it should be for a 150 mm spaced rear end and you stand allot firmer on the bike. even though it's only 1 cm it makes allot of difference in stability at speed and slow tech rocky decents.

i'd highly recommend doing this to anyone who just rides gravity with his Scythe (or any other frame for that matter, but I only ride Banshee) you only need the kit and a 83 mm crank to work.
    Amplify your ®ide

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    interesting.

I have been running a Hammerschmidt from day one with my Scythe with no problems. But recently I started collecting parts to go to a 1x set up. Which guide do you have and when you talk about grinding smaller gears are you talking about on the cassette? Do you think this is also a problem with the taco style guards?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Nucking Futs
    i've been running the straitline guide from day 1 2 1/2 years ago and it works flawless. you can see the marks of the chain on the inside of the bash, this is caused during riding in the smallest gear. it also grinds the 2nd smallest gear on the cassette, atleast since i've converted it to 5 speed with a single speed hub. it isn't much but pretty annoying and it isn't optimal.

if your using a taco style system with 73mm bb it would just grind the inside of the upper guide mostly. but the damage I see on the bashring can also be the chain almost jumping off the chainring but being forced back in place by the guide. i've never noticed it being close to jamming though.
    Amplify your ®ide

Spitfire Amp Scythe